Removing Dim Dip on a small sports the clean way

Have you documented a Scimitar related procedure and would like to share it with others? Pictures are most welcome!
Threads here also contain previous “stickies” from other sections, as a central location for quick reference information.

Moderators: scimjim, philhoward, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington, Lukeyboy46

Mateybass

Removing Dim Dip on a small sports the clean way

Post by Mateybass » Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:47 am

N.B. I take no responsibility for any problems arising from this procedure, it's at your own risk. This will work on any dimdip system, provided it hasn't been tinkered with or had any "modifications" to the lighting system. If in doubt, consult a professional.

Having said that, it worked flawlessly on the two SST on which I have carried this procedure out.

Incidentally, if you have dimdip installed, once this procedure is finished it also gives the added benefit (without any extra work required) of routing the headlamp supply through a relay rather than through your light switch, so the light switch only carries the side light and a relays worth of current (max two relays if your aux lamps are wired as fogs). Nifty eh?

PART 1

Tools required:

To remove steering wheel and steering column covers:
23mm socket
Marker pen for marking the alignment of the steering wheel before removal
Posidriv screwdriver

To execute the dimdip removal:
Narrow flat blade jewellers screw driver
Side/wire cutters
Crimp tool for uninsulated terminal (see pic for type) or, alternatively, a soldering iron.
crimptool by mateybass, on Flickr

Ok, Disconnect battery. Remove the steering wheel and steering column covers, you might also find it easier to remove the speedo for better access. I did but it might not be necessary.

The following procedure requires the use of a jewellers screwdriver to depress the barbs or tangs on the side of the metal connectors in order to remove the connectors from the plug housings. Care should be taken to insert the driver between the housing (at the opposite end to the wires) and the outer of the connector and lightly depress the tangs till they are flush with the connector body. There are two tangs on each connector, diametrically opposed. Once both tangs are depressed, withdraw the connector. Once withdrawn, the driver can be gently inserted under the tangs to spring them out again for locking the connector into the housing. If you happen to break them, new connectors can be purchased and crimped on to replace. Once a connector has been reinserted into a housing, a gentle tug on the connector will establish if you have sprung the tangs sufficiently to achieve a lock, if it comes out again, spring the tangs a little more and try again.

Starting with the lighting switch wiring changes, remove the plug from the back of the lights switch.

Refer to Fig. 1 below:
Fig. 1 by mateybass, on Flickr

The lights switch plug is circled A. With the jewellers screwdriver, depress tangs on connectors marked 1 and 2 and withdraw from housing.
Unplug connectors circled B. Depress tangs and withdraw connector from housing marked 3. The housing can be slid up the wire and left there, it is not necessary to remove the cylindrical housing at all.
Respring tangs on connectors.
You should now have something resembling the following (Fig.2)
Fig.2 by mateybass, on Flickr
Referring to Fig.2 connector B should be inserted into the light switch housing position 1. (Please note, this photo shows position 2 not having been removed yet, please ignore) Connector A should be inserted into position 2. Trim the red wire from this connector as close as possible to the connector as shown below in Fig. 3, marked A. (Strictly speaking, this doesn't need to be trimmed but if you leave it connected, ensure you have the red wire tail insulated against accidental contact.)
Fig.3 by mateybass, on Flickr
Last edited by Mateybass on Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:45 pm, edited 7 times in total.

1991 Reliant Scimitar SST 1400 number 39 - Skippy's Facebook Page
1999 Subaru Forester S-Turbo Auto (LT)

RSSOC member no. 6883

Mateybass

Re: Removing Dim Dip on a small sports the clean way

Post by Mateybass » Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:02 am

Part 2

The blue wire you removed from the light switch needs to be reconnected next. Half way along the wire is a crimped connection as shown in Fig 4 below, circled C.

Fig.4 by mateybass, on Flickr

This connection can be cut off or can be left in place (after taping up the bare midriff of the connection), but whichever you choose, the blue wire needs to be crimped (or soldered) onto a spare unused connector which can be found by unplugging the loom connection Fig.4 circled A above (the connection for the stalk switches to the loom), in the black housing as shown in Fig 5 below, circled A.
Fig. 5 by mateybass, on Flickr

Depress the tangs of this spare and push it through to withdraw from the housing. Using the small crimp tool pictured earlier, crimp this connector (or solder) onto the blue wire removed from the light switch earlier. Spring the tangs and insert connector back into housing as in Fig. 6 below.
Fig.6 by mateybass, on Flickr
Last edited by Mateybass on Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:07 am, edited 4 times in total.

RSSOC member no. 6883

Mateybass

Post by Mateybass » Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:17 am

Part 3

We are now going to remove the actual dimdip circuit. Referring to Fig 4 previously, this requires changes to connectors circled in A and B.

Firstly and referring to Fig.7 below, depress tangs of the two connectors marked 1 (blue with red stripe) and 2 (solid blue) of connector housing A and withdraw from housing. These connectors are now redundant, tape them up so you don't inadvertantly re-use them. Now, unplug connection marked B.

Fig.7 by mateybass, on Flickr

Depress tangs and withdraw both wires from the housing marked B as shown "in progress" in Fig.8 below. They should be female connectors for reference.
Fig.8 by mateybass, on Flickr

Respring the tangs on both connectors and insert them into the housing marked A as arrowed, i.e 1 to 1 (blue/red), 2 to 2 (blue).

That's it... any wires or connectors you have dangling free are not required and though they can be removed, it's not worth the effor of removing the dash unless you want to save weight. If in doubt or for your own peace of mind, you can tape them up to insulate if you wish.

Check your work carefully to ensure you've done it all correctly, reconnect all plugs, reconnect battery and test.

N.B. This will not change the way your pull-to-flash works... if it lifted your lamps to flash before it will still do the same. Conversely, if your aux lamps flashed before they will still do.

RSSOC member no. 6883

reliant-reviver
RSSOC Member

Post by reliant-reviver » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:55 am

Ian, good guide, thanks for putting that up. I was a bit lazy and swapped the whole column switch for an early unmodified one, making the whole job very quick and easy with just the blue and blue/red wire to swap back in on the main loom

Philip Andrew.
'74 Robin Super Saloon, '84 SS1 1300, '86 SS1 1800ti, '87 SS1 1300
Previous: I lost count around fifty.

Mateybass

Post by Mateybass » Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:23 pm

reliant-reviver wrote:Ian, good guide, thanks for putting that up. I was a bit lazy and swapped the whole column switch for an early unmodified one, making the whole job very quick and easy with just the blue and blue/red wire to swap back in on the main loom
Cheat :) Actually I did spot the mass of black tape round the bottom of the stalk loom at the light switch end on yours and thought it looked like an original SS1. That tape covers up a connector which has two blue wires and is the same blue wire that is diverted for the dimdip system so looks like it was already in the pipeline even on the early cars. So Reliant only knows why they created completely new stalk switch looms for the dimdip system when the old one was already prewired. :roll:

RSSOC member no. 6883

MrGoldtop1960
RSSOC Member

Post by MrGoldtop1960 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:55 pm

Would this be a good article for Slice?

Kev O

Kev Osborne
Solent Noggin NogSec, National Events coordinator.
Member No.2104

Owner of SE5a "Colonel Mustard"
Previous - "Sid" the SS1 1800ti

Ben Kenobe
RSSOC Member

Post by Ben Kenobe » Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:32 pm

I think the whole 'wiring' can of worms would be, there seem to be several different variations not only in the wiring harnesses but also in the Dim / Dip department, add this to the SST and Sabre variations due to instrumentation and it is a candidate for an article for sure. I am currently working through this minefield myself with one car that has been as Ian puts it ' modified by a Herbert' and and another that flat out refuses to lift the lights.

I write down everything I want to remember. That way, instead of spending a lot of time trying to remember what it is I wrote down, I spend the time looking for the paper I wrote it down on.

scimjim
RSSOC Member

Post by scimjim » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:46 pm

I have uninstalled looms if you want better pictures?

Jim King

Current: SE5 (8Ball), TI SS1 (snotty), 1600 SS1 (G97), 1600 SS1 (C686CCR), 2.5TD SE5a (diesel 5a), 6 x random other SS1s.
Previous: SE5, 3 x SE5a, 2 x SE6a, 3 x SE6b, GTC, 2.9i GTC, 3 x 1600 SS1, 1300 SS1, Mk1 Ti Sabre, Mk1.5 CVH Sabre
Chief mechanic for: 1400 K series SS1 (Megan3), 1400 CVH EFi SS1 (Grawpy), Sabre/MX5 auto (The Flying Broomstick),
1300 SS1 (Number One) & Sarah's coupe.
CURE THE FAULT - NOT THE SYMPTOMS

reliant-reviver
RSSOC Member

Post by reliant-reviver » Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:10 am

Genuine Reliant loom modifications.

'onest guv :lol:

Philip Andrew.
'74 Robin Super Saloon, '84 SS1 1300, '86 SS1 1800ti, '87 SS1 1300
Previous: I lost count around fifty.

Peter S

Post by Peter S » Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:48 pm

Thanks for this
Thanks to your previous efforts I have a fully functioning dim-dip system but cant see the point so I was thinking about removing it

For your next project how about getting the auxillary lights to flash instead of the main lights as by the time the lights have lifted its usually to late :!:

Peter S
Currently GTC

Ben Kenobe
RSSOC Member

Post by Ben Kenobe » Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:50 pm

how about getting the auxillary lights to flash instead of the main lights
If I've been reading these drawings correctly that is exactly what is supposed to happen on later cars at least

I write down everything I want to remember. That way, instead of spending a lot of time trying to remember what it is I wrote down, I spend the time looking for the paper I wrote it down on.

Peter S

Post by Peter S » Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:55 pm

N.B. This will not change the way your pull-to-flash works... if it lifted your lamps to flash before it will still do the same. Conversely, if your aux lamps flashed before they will still do.

They obviously vary Mines 1994 but it lifts the lights

Peter S
Currently GTC

Ben Kenobe
RSSOC Member

Post by Ben Kenobe » Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:02 pm

As does my Sabre, it lifts the lights also - one reason why I intend to go over the car's wiring because it doesn't match the drawings - at least that's the conclusion so far.

If you look at the drawings off our Tech Wiki there is a relay identified as R8 - this is supposed to flash the auxilliary lights L14 & L15 if the headlights are off.

But this ain't how mines wired, my lights will also come on without the ignition being on so somebody has been playing, it is hard to tell what was done by the factory and what wasn't ...

Mateybass

Post by Mateybass » Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:37 am

Peter S wrote:N.B. This will not change the way your pull-to-flash works... if it lifted your lamps to flash before it will still do the same. Conversely, if your aux lamps flashed before they will still do.

They obviously vary Mines 1994 but it lifts the lights
The removal of dimdip will not change the way your pull-to-flash works, the procedure simply removes the dimdip portion so however your pull-to-flash worked before will be the way it works after the removal. Late SS1 dimdip had aux lamp flash, SST and early Sabre dimdip had headlamp flash and sometime later the dimdip flash was once again aux lamp.

If you have headlamp flash, there is a method for modifying to aux flash which also changes the fogs to aux lamps, I just haven't got around to doing either the job or the write-up yet but it is incredibly easy to do and restores the circuit to the original SS1 version of aux lamps... almost :) This method leaves the added fog lamp relay in situ but operationally it'll be the same. In fact it'll be better since the added relay takes the lamp power from the battery rather than through your dip switch. Therein however lies another little safety mod which needs doing to all Small Sports fitted with fog lamps but that's for later :)

However, if you can't wait for the pictutorial, here's what you do......

Disconnect the red wire from the front fog lamp switch and insulate... replace that switch connection with a wire (originally blue/grey) from R8/30 and then underneath the fuse box connect a wire (originally blue/yellow) from R8/87a to the red/yellow wire before fuse F14 in position B6 of the fuse box. Then remove the diode from underneath the fusebox inside the inner wing that goes between R8/30 and R7/30 and insulate the wire ends.

Pull-to-flash diode by mateybass, on Flickr

You will now have Aux lamps as the Reliant Gods intended.
Last edited by Mateybass on Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:50 am, edited 7 times in total.

RSSOC member no. 6883

Mateybass

Post by Mateybass » Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:50 am

Ben Kenobe wrote:As does my Sabre, it lifts the lights also - one reason why I intend to go over the car's wiring because it doesn't match the drawings - at least that's the conclusion so far.

If you look at the drawings off our Tech Wiki there is a relay identified as R8 - this is supposed to flash the auxilliary lights L14 & L15 if the headlights are off.

But this ain't how mines wired, my lights will also come on without the ignition being on so somebody has been playing, it is hard to tell what was done by the factory and what wasn't ...
Do you mean your headlamps will raise on pull-to-flash with the ignition off? If so, they all do that... it's wired correctly.

Your Sabre, if it lifts the lights on flash, then your aux lamps are in fact wired as fogs. When you pull-to-flash on a headlamp flash circuit, R8 energises. On the original SS1 R8 doesn't energise on pull-to-flash, that's how it can route the current to the aux lamps. R8 is just there to direct the current either to the aux lamps when the headlamps are off or to the full beam when the headlamps are on, you can't have both unless the Aux lamp switch is depressed too.

As our lamps are configured as fogs, they will be on whenever the sidelights or headlights are on and the fog lamp switch is depressed.... Goodness knows, I've tried cheering it up... ;)

RSSOC member no. 6883

Return to “How To Guides/FAQs”