fiberglass repair

Have you documented a Scimitar related procedure and would like to share it with others? Pictures are most welcome!
Threads here also contain previous “stickies” from other sections, as a central location for quick reference information.

Moderators: scimjim, philhoward, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington, Lukeyboy46

Section 9
RSSOC Member

fiberglass repair

Post by Section 9 » Sat May 19, 2012 1:41 pm

Does anybody know of a good "how to guide" for repairing fiberglass damage such as crack, holes and splits. With information with what types of wet and dry to use at different stages and different resins and filler to use.
As i recently purchased a almost full spare body(without bonnet and main body) but all need respraying and some have damage to repair.
Thanks for any information given Lewis.

Ben Kenobe
RSSOC Member

Re: fiberglass repair

Post by Ben Kenobe » Sat May 19, 2012 1:57 pm

The best one is out of print but I tracked down a reprint from a chap in Germany.

The absolute bible of fibreglass is a book by Miles Wilkins called How to Restore Fibreglass Bodywork

Be sitting down when you find a copy though.

Chap in Germany is pretty good - a lot cheaper than most http://www.lotus-books.com/additions.html

Be aware this is a compilation print it is not individual volumes but it still has everything the hardback version has

I write down everything I want to remember. That way, instead of spending a lot of time trying to remember what it is I wrote down, I spend the time looking for the paper I wrote it down on.

ScimmyMike
RSSOC Member

Post by ScimmyMike » Sun May 20, 2012 8:02 pm

Yes, I emailed them quite a long time ago, still to receive a reply!!

SE4c rebuilding. SE5a similar it seems!
SAAB C900 2 door
Scimitar SE4 SE4c SE5 SE6b Austin A35

High Peak Noggin Secretary & general dogsbody

www.high peak noggin

If you can see the tree before you hit it that's understeer
if you only feel the tree as you hit it that's oversteer

geoffp67

Post by geoffp67 » Sun May 20, 2012 8:07 pm

try chandley shops - lots of boat owners do fibreglass repairs

MikeyBikey
RSSOC Member

Post by MikeyBikey » Sun May 20, 2012 8:12 pm

Section 9 wrote:Does anybody know of a good "how to guide" for repairing fiberglass damage such as crack, holes and splits. With information with what types of wet and dry to use at different stages and different resins and filler to use.
As i recently purchased a almost full spare body(without bonnet and main body) but all need respraying and some have damage to repair.
Thanks for any information given Lewis.
I bought the 'practical classics' book on the scimitar - se5/6. They have a very good summary of the glass fibre repairs, different types and how to.

Is we sideways yet...

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

Post by Roger Pennington » Tue May 22, 2012 2:39 pm

MikeyBikey wrote: I bought the 'practical classics' book on the scimitar - se5/6. They have a very good summary of the glass fibre repairs, different types and how to.
The sections in the Practical Classics book, available from the Club Shop Here, were written by Miles Wilkins and are in effect an extract of some of the key points from the book. The full Miles Wilkins book is obviously more comprehensive, but can be hard to track down.

....Roger

RSSOC member (since 1982)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Condition can be bought at any time; Originality, once lost, is gone forever" - Doug Nye

Return to “How To Guides/FAQs”