deoxC

Have you documented a Scimitar related procedure and would like to share it with others? Pictures are most welcome!
Threads here also contain previous “stickies” from other sections, as a central location for quick reference information.

Moderators: scimjim, Lukeyboy46, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington, philhoward

Dennis Nicholas
RSSOC Member

deoxC

Post by Dennis Nicholas » Mon May 27, 2019 5:15 pm

Reference the soaking of metalwork to de-rust in deoxC. Can anyone confirm that when metal is in soaking that clean bright metal is not touched....i.e for example with hubs the surfaces that form the interference fit for the bearing will still be EXACTLY the same interference fit? and the stub axle bearing surfaces will not be eaten away?
I would hate to have nice clean shiny hubs that were now no use because of loose bearings!

Dennis

Dennis Nicholas(RSSOC)
1980 GTC Trafalgar Blue, 2010 basic Skoda Yeti (petrol), Austin 7s, Rileys.

Dennis Nicholas
RSSOC Member

deoxC

Post by Dennis Nicholas » Tue May 28, 2019 11:24 am

I have just spoken to Bilt Hamber Technical man. I asked for, example , if say an interference fit bearing surface such as in a hub or stub axle would effect the interference fit if immersed to clean the rest. He says that bright shiny would become dull looking and that there would be no noticeable change in dimension however to be on safe side just give a smear coat of Vaseline as a safety precaution and they would stay bright shiny untouched or could also use a calcium based waterproof grease.
Let the cleaning commence.

Moderators CAN THIS BE PUT AS A STICKY..OR PINED whatever the terminology?

Dennis Nicholas(RSSOC)
1980 GTC Trafalgar Blue, 2010 basic Skoda Yeti (petrol), Austin 7s, Rileys.

Return to “How To Guides/FAQs”