Easily replace alternator belt Essex PAS

Have you documented a Scimitar related procedure and would like to share it with others? Pictures are most welcome!
Threads here also contain previous “stickies” from other sections, as a central location for quick reference information.

Moderators: scimjim, philhoward, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington, Lukeyboy46

ard126k

Easily replace alternator belt Essex PAS

Post by ard126k » Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:44 am

Ever since I had to do it on a rainy day I've been annoyed that replacing the alternator belt on an Essex engine fitted with a PAS pump means removing the PAS belt. So when I was changing the cam drive on mine I had a brainwave. With both belts off I placed a new alternator belt on the front engine cover, starting on the tray behind the radiator then running up round the water pump, across the front cover to a convenient bolt, and back to beginning, making sure it was clear of all the spinny bits. Only held with wire ATM until I find some suitable P-clips.
IMG_0641.JPG
IMG_0641.JPG (121.85 KiB) Viewed 539 times
IMG_0642.JPG
IMG_0642.JPG (60.09 KiB) Viewed 539 times
Now if the alternator belt breaks out in the wilds the new one can just be set on the pulleys and tensioned. And another spare one put on back at base (if I remember!)

Alex.

1971 SE5 1977 SE6 1982 GTC

Return to “How To Guides/FAQs”