Blue Cipher Refresh

For other Reliants.
Also known as Kitten Corner, Rebels Retreat..make up your own name!
We all know Reliant ownership is contagious

Moderators: scimjim, Roger Pennington, Lukeyboy46, philhoward, erikscimitardemon

Marmaduke
RSSOC Member

Re: Blue Cipher Refresh

Post by Marmaduke » Sat Jun 11, 2016 11:22 am

So back a bit late and posting progress that has been made over several weeks - but progress has none the less been made - its going to be so big I'm splitting the post into two parts :D

So with the engine bay empty, one of the things that has bugged me is the lack of tow loops on the car. Looking for the best place to put an attachment, the strongest place, is the front section of the Kitten chassis used in the car. That said its a long way from the nose cone - and thus I was a little stumped until Craig pointed me towards some of the adjustable tow straps the compies use. So.... all measured up to the right length, its time to get started:

Fortunately in the kitten chassis there was a predrilled hole that was almost the right size, and opened out 1mm it fit the bolt of the tow loop.

To get the loop to the front, I cable tied the strap in two places with very weak cable ties - thus if it ever has to be used, the ties will give way rather than the nose cone !!
As a plus the loop neatly tucks away behind the number plate when not in use.

So next onto more major things - the propshaft ! - after pulling it out and comparing it with a kitten one I have - I rapidly realized that its not the same size as a kitten one and is a lot shorter (!!) - after consulting the reliant cipher parts manual, the prop has the same part number as a kitten one - but with an "S" prefix. This usually means that the part is different from advertised and is usually unique ! - although I suspect its a three wheeler prop. However the prop does seem a little longer than the 3-wheeler ones I've seen in the past, and 3 wheeler parts (such as the heater) used in the cipher usually have the right part number. BTW, if anyone has a 3-wheeler prop they'd like to send me the dimensions of, it would be useful to compare.

So forced grease into all the Universal and Sliding Joints and treated and painted the prop - all shiney now and almost a shame to put it back in the car !! :lol:

Additionally I stuck on some heat shielding material onto the passengers foot well - as the young lady who was last passenger in the seat complained of hot feet !!

So with that done and the prop back in the car, it was time to introduce the engine. A lovely yellow top with very low mileage and was rebuilt by reliant before they got into troubles - in fact the engine still has the "R" parts stickers on in places !! The starter motor had a touch up with paint after this picture and then all was left till it was time to drop the engine in. All will be revealed in the next post !

Last edited by Marmaduke on Sat Jun 11, 2016 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

1985 SS1 - What the Cipher dreams of driving like...
1980 Cipher - What the SS1 dreams of looking like...

Marmaduke
RSSOC Member

Post by Marmaduke » Sat Jun 11, 2016 11:43 am

So Part 2:

On a much nicer day than today, it was time to drop the engine into the cipher. The first task was to finish off a few house keeping tasks on the engine and gearbox before putting them in. The first is to bend the clutch arm in slightly so that it doesn't foul the transmission tunnel chassis - the wires by the way are the ones for the reversing switch. A little bit of heat and a "gentle" tap from a lump hammer produce the right shape.

The other thing was the fitting of rear gearbox mounts - I tend on the cipher to cap the reliant ones with the little metal covers that are used on the front mounts of a kitten (seen in this picture with things "loosely" on - hence the funny angle !). These I've found add a little extra strength to the mounts and also improve longevity by protecting the mounts from any stray oil and grease.

So in the engine goes - actually one of the quickest and easiest installs I've done - largely thanks to a large aluminum bar - which I discovered fits beautifully between the front engine supports and the rear gearbox mounts.

You can just see it in this slightly blurry picture beneath the gearbox. You lower the engine onto this - slide the whole thing back until it locates the rear mounts into the slots.

Once they are in, knock out the bar and lower the engine down onto the front mounts - simple - and all done in 15mins - try topping that with an Essex engine !!

Once the engine was in, it was just a matter of bolting up the mounts, and attaching pipes and wires. I took the time as well to replace the clutch cable which as you can see was only slightly in need of replacement :lol: :lol: (old one at top !!)

A new MGB right angled speedo drive was fitted - this fixes any needle wobble and avoids the need for nasty cable bends and complicated cable routing.

Although I didn't have time to sort out the exhaust - that's a post for another time in itself - I did have time to make some measurements for the front pipe.

So we've now reached the point where the engine is in and most things are connected up. There is still a long list of things to do though before its ready - there's the exhaust to make and connect up, new alloy radiator to fit and a host of other small things - but it's all looking manageable and hopefully MOT'ed and on the road before too long !

DJC777
RSSOC Member

Post by DJC777 » Sat Jun 11, 2016 12:01 pm

Simon,

As the front and rear chassic sections including engine and suspension mounts are all part of the original Kitten chassis the difference between the Cipher and the Kitten wheel base, should equal the difference in your propshaft. According to the published data the Cipher wheel base is only 38mm shorther than a Kitten, which appears a lot less than the difference in your photos. So thats another theory in the bin then.

Dave

1984 Stevens Cipher
1970 SE5 under full restoration
1971 SE5A in storage

Marmaduke
RSSOC Member

Post by Marmaduke » Sat Jun 11, 2016 12:15 pm

Hi Dave,

Yes, its a lot more than 38mm difference - however remember the engine sits further back than the kitten (you can see the original kitten mount holes in the foreground of the shot with the engine in) - so that shortens it a bit more. I suppose the question is "is it short enough to use a 3-wheeler one ?" - I would suspect that it is, and the shorter ones I've seen in the past have been Regal rather than Robin ones. I'll try and find out - as it would be a real pain if they are bespoke !

reliant-reviver
RSSOC Member

Post by reliant-reviver » Sat Jun 11, 2016 3:57 pm

Looks longer than a Robin prop to my eye. Think i have one kicking about so will measure if i have the chance.

Philip Andrew. Self assured SS1 know-it-all
Current : SS1 1300 "KMG" - Sideways round a track near you 2017
Also: SS1 1800ti big rebuild on hiatus.

Return to “Other 4 Wheeled Reliants”