A Red Rebel Restoration....!

For other Reliants.
Also known as Kitten Corner, Rebels Retreat..make up your own name!
We all know Reliant ownership is contagious

Moderators: scimjim, philhoward, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington, Lukeyboy46

Joe.
RSSOC Member

Re: A Red Rebel Restoration....!

Post by Joe. » Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:17 pm

Dave's been prepping the Rebel for paint, working around his other commitments its taken 2 weeks of repetitive work: Priming with a roller, flatting back. priming again, filling, sanding off, swearing, spray priming, flatting back with wet and dry.... but as of today the rebel has now had the final flat off with 800 wet and dry and is now awaiting top coat!

Sorry I've only got one crap phone pic but I thought I'd share It anyway.

Coco La Blanc

Post by Coco La Blanc » Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:47 pm

Joe,
It already looks brilliant - excellent work (as usual) ! Should be quite interesting with that big V8 goin in ??? ;~}
Regards,
Viv

geoffp67

Post by geoffp67 » Sat Jun 30, 2012 1:18 pm

fantastic thorough work, it will look great when its done, cant wait to see it.
As for your engines - why not build up more than one, if you have the bits you can have a spare sat in a crate ready to go, and sell off another to recoup some costs

Joe.
RSSOC Member

Post by Joe. » Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:48 pm

Sorry only one phone photo for the moment... but its now red again!

I'm sure a V8 rebel would be properly mental, at one point it was suggested it should get an Essex! Reliant engine wise the surplus will almost certainly be built up / sold on to offset costs. We have at least 2 reliant engines more than we really need!

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

Post by Roger Pennington » Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:29 pm

That's fantastic! - looks nice and shiny - well done! :D

....Roger

RSSOC member (since 1982)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Condition can be bought at any time; Originality, once lost, is gone forever" - Doug Nye

Joe.
RSSOC Member

Post by Joe. » Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:17 am

I've recently got back form the Isle of wight where I've been assisting Dave fitting out the Rebels interior... I thought this was going to be a fairly nice job but the dire weather left the tent where we were working half full water. It made it interesting trying to keep things clean and dry!

Outside the bumpers and badges have been fitted and the boot trial fitted (still needs work on the hinges to get it quite right and the rubber gaskets need trimming to get a better fit. The windows have also gone back and are now just waiting for some new chrome infill to finish them off.

Inside the Insulation, carpet and vynide have been fitted as has the vinyl covering for the roll bar and a new headlining has been made.

Pictures:

Some better post spray job photos now with bumpers and badges on:

The boot, The seal will need changing for a different type as this one is a bad fit when its closed

The locking filler neck, still needs a pipe sorting to connect it to the tank though!

New British made Chrome hinges and New old stock badge. The taillights desperately need replacing the chrome is poor and a couple of the lenses have small cracks. Ideally we are looking for some that are new old stock or very good used.

The following pictures show the Jute underlay being cut and fitted, we've used more of this than Reliant did so hope for a reduction in road and engine noise. The underlay was fixed into place with High temperature contact adhesive

Rear seat armrests were sanded town to give a surface as smooth as possible to fit the vynide to, its very thin so imperfections show up really easily.

Footwell carpets in, gearbox tunnel carpet being trial fitted,

First vynide bits in.

Gearbox tunnel carpet fitted,

The headlining and rollbar cover, This is our first attempt at making a headlining from scratch its not bad but has some small rucks at the ends which could be improved on in future. The general affect with the rollbar seems so work it ties in well enough to look like its standard fit.

B Pillar vynide / vinyll join

For the c-pillar and a-pillar trims we recovered the original aluminium

The Rebel shortly before leaving to catch a 2:30 am ferry...

The next stage will be another hit to get the doors built up and fitted ( they are currently waiting for the hinges and frames to be grit blasted and then sprayed.) Then the over carpets need edging and the seats need new covers made. There are lots of other odd jobs to tackle like the dashboard, door cards, etc

Sorry about any spelling and grammatical errors I'll try and sort them out tomorrow!

Gemini Bob
RIP

Post by Gemini Bob » Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:45 am

Looking good Joe, keep up the good work :D

Regards
Bob
HUE 1979 SE6a GTE Auto
If the cap fits wear it.
If at first you don't succeed, pay someone who knows what they are doing.
Scimitars Biggest Fan
Resto viewtopic.php?f=20&t=3377 Just for Geoff ;-)

tony.idle
RSSOC Member

Post by tony.idle » Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:42 am

A really nice job Joe - keep the photos coming.

Regards

Tony

Embrace your feminine side - RTFM

RSSOC 2332 since 1981
Past: 2x5A, GTC. Current: SST, Smart, Hymer Motorhome, Rialto, Robin, Bug, MZ Skorpion x2.

MickP

Post by MickP » Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:19 am

Just wanted to say that I think that looks like a great little car - very nice job 8) .

I had one about 15 years ago, put an 850 engine in it - the back end was too low geared from what I remember. I never got it finished and on the road, which I always regret :( .

Michael.

1978 SE6a Auto - off the road for TLC (or sale?).
2007 Saab 9-3 Vector Sport 150 TiD
1997 Ducati 900SS - Last carb. model.
Gallery Project
“Technological progress has merely provided us with more efficient means for going backwards.” - Aldous Huxley.

Mr jake

Post by Mr jake » Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:32 pm

Sorry to drag this thread up but its a cracking build. Any updates?
I'm looking at a white rebel estate, guy called Joe owns a reliant breakers yard near the Malvern hills. Might be tempted once the scim has sold.

Se6 green
Se6 white
Mk1Mx5
Scimitar SsT
Se6 Red & Audi A1

windy

Post by windy » Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:48 pm

I own a Rebel estate (also white) & would thoroughly recommend getting one. Its a great little car & very versatile. The rear seat folds flat then you have a pretty big load area, about the same size as a Scimitar but without the sloping rear hatch getting in the way. If you are buying check the gearbox for rattles, whining & poor syncro action as they are weak if neglected & its hard to find any boxes secondhand. Looking forward to an update to this project too.

Mr jake

Post by Mr jake » Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:20 pm

Pm'd

Se6 green
Se6 white
Mk1Mx5
Scimitar SsT
Se6 Red & Audi A1

Daniel Rodd

Post by Daniel Rodd » Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:33 pm

I own and use a Rebel van as my only vehicle,and am also a close friend of Joe Mason,so might be able to get some pics of it for you,i do know the estate in question though,i dont know what its current state is but i do know it had a major problem a few years ago when the propshaft fell out of the gearbox and destroyed the floor as it swung about while on the motorway,due to the gearbox rear bearing coming adrift :oops:

Joe.
RSSOC Member

Post by Joe. » Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:24 am

I Spent some time over the weekend assisting dave in fitting the doors to the rebel. It also meant I got to see some of the stuff that had been going on since the last time I saw the car, like the overcarpets and shiny chrome exhaust trim!

Door fitting can be an awkward process if you want to make a decent job of it and get the top, bottom and swage line all to look good!

Overcarpets:

New stainless air vents.

Boot carpet

Chrome exhaust trim.

Hinges have had new pins made in 8mm stainless bar as the old ones were found to be rusted through.

Door frames painted

Trial fitting a fixed quaterlight

Door frames go in,

Door frames had new drop glass felt fitted, the quaterlights were sealed with black polyurethane sealant which has been very effective on the Scimitar.

New Quaterlight base rubber,

With the frames in the winder mechanisms and door locks were reconnected,

We then fitted some new british made tex door mirrors :D . We have replaced the old style door mirrors because they were sh*t.

We were very pleased with the way the top frames fit, it took some time to get them right but is now probably a bit better than the standard achieved by reliant.

A few photos of My GTE and Dave's rebel, I'm hoping to get the Scimitar respayed by the same sprayer who did the rebel later this year.

These last couple of photos are a sneak peek at the new seats for the rebel which are currently being made 8) .

The plan is to carry on and finish the cosmetic stuff on the rebel and then concentrate on getting the race engine sorted towards the end of the year
Last edited by Joe. on Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Scimher

Post by Scimher » Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:44 am

Very nicely done.....

Return to “Other 4 Wheeled Reliants”