A Red Rebel Restoration....!

For other Reliants.
Also known as Kitten Corner, Rebels Retreat..make up your own name!
We all know Reliant ownership is contagious

Moderators: scimjim, philhoward, Lukeyboy46, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington

geoffp67

Re: A Red Rebel Restoration....!

Post by geoffp67 » Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:05 am

Joe. wrote:

More on mould making to follow...

Nice boat, is it a live-aboard ?

Nice job on the car too. When you eventually give it more power will you upgrade the brakes too ? - those single-piston drums on the front don't look too effective, especially going down the steep hills you have on IoW.
Always amusing watching the grockles innit :mrgreen:

MikeT
RSSOC Member

Post by MikeT » Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:17 am

Nice work on the fibreglass covers!

I've never paid much attention to the rebel tbh - but I do like it. With some smart wheels and the stance lowered a bit I reckon it would look cracking :)

Keep up the good work.

Mike.

1978 Scimitar SE6a - Project thread

g scot

Post by g scot » Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:19 pm

848cc will be the best for every day use ,that is what i,D HAVE .

Joe.
RSSOC Member

Post by Joe. » Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:57 pm

geoffp67 wrote:Nice boat, is it a live-aboard ?
The boat belongs to Dave, It could possibly be described as a large restoration project...!

Engine wise at the moment I think we will do something other than go the standard 850 route to gain more, but it depends on budget how that is going to be done!

g scot

Post by g scot » Sat Nov 12, 2011 5:43 pm

i had a yellow regal van for 8 month with the 698cc engine ,always wonted the 848 cc

michaelplummer60

Post by michaelplummer60 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:22 am

Hi, Just chanced across your thread whilst supposed to be working. I cut up a badly damaged Rebel Estate years ago,most of the bits went to people in the Kitten register or on ebay. I was surprised at how well made the glass body was, especially compared to a Bond Equipe (on Vitesse chassis) that a mate smashed up badly and we then broke, that was absolute crap, with big sheets of thin ally "bonded" in and loads of voids and resin starvation.
Anyway, I can't see from your photos whether or not you have the badge from the middle of the front panel. I have one somewhere and another badge from the same Rebel. You're welcome to them. I don't know how the PM thing works on this forum but will have a go.
mikep

Joe.
RSSOC Member

Post by Joe. » Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:23 pm

It would be easy to think that the Rebel Saloon was loosing out with the current efforts being put into the van but we've still found time to do some work on it.

These are a few photos last year when we were sanding, filling and faring the bodywork and repairing stress cracks before paint.

More recently we trial fitted the original doors. One had a major chunk removed where the scrapyard had broken into it. The other was cracked around the mounting holes for the hinges and on both the joins between inner and outer moldings was weak. Repairing the original doors was preferable to keeping the regal ones as they have different door card styles and would always have looked a bit wrong, the regal ones were also not that good a fit and required lots of shimming to get them to sit right.

The door frames have also been repaired. Dave spent long hours welding up good ones from sections cut out of several rusty spare sets. The ones that came with the Rebel were very rotten and were preventing free movement of the window glass.

We have removed the opening quaterlight windows, this a compromise as the seals are no longer available and leaving them would have meant that the car would leak ruining the new carpets (still to be fitted.) As its a car that will be used regularly practicality is over-ruling originality here!

Repaired frames

Coparison between old and new style quaterlights:

The new quarter lights will now use larger panes bedded in on silicone, We've used this in the past on the Scimitar rear hatch and it works very well.

The frame section at the bottom unbolts to allow the Quaterlight pane to be fitted from below, before the frame is dropped onto the door moulding

Trial fitting:

We are hoping that the top frames should be a decent fit and when painted up should be at least as good as the standard that reliant managed, if not hopefully a bit better.

The plan now is to move the Red Rebel back to the Isle of Wight for painting when the weather has improved... :|

Gelcoat

Post by Gelcoat » Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:53 pm

Top work ,well done so far .Look forward to paint ........
Tony

1983 6B
"Looks like im walking to Curbs, then the wife said she"d come with me ......ooo the pain....

PatrickMcRebel

Post by PatrickMcRebel » Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:38 pm

Well done Joe and Dave, as said above will look forward to seeing it painted up! Are you keeping it Red?

Paddy.

1993 Reliant Scimitar Sabre 1400cvh
1971 Reliant Rebel 700 Saloon

Joe.
RSSOC Member

Post by Joe. » Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:30 pm

This weekend saw a bit of progress on the rebel saloon, we dug it out of hibernation in the lockup garage where it has been since the start of the year :) . Dave (who is buying the rebel off me) has just passed his driving test and so It seemed like a good opportunity to revive the rebel and for it to be transferred over to him to drive it to the Isle of wight where he rebel can get it prepped and painted.

It only took some water for the cooling system and a fresh battery to get the rebel going again. £60 was blown at peter pikey's part worn tyres getting a set of the original steel wheels fitted with new(ish) tyres.

Insurance was sorted for a very reasonable £340 (not bad for a new driver Age 23 with the car insured in their own name.) and Dave was then able to test the full potential of the 600cc rebel on the open road... It was a slightly different experience to the driving instructors 11 plate fiesta!

The test drives highlighted an ongoing issue with the clutch snatching in first, When the clutch is released in first there is a violent series of judders before the gear engages. Its a fairly common issue on Reliant cars using the gearbox with no synchro on first gear. But the exact cause can be attributed to dozens of different sources... Worn Clutch, Worn Primary motion shaft, engine and gearbox movement... etc! In the end most of Saturday was spent removing the engine and swapping the clutch over for a new one and the engine stay bar was adjusted (designed to limit engine and gearbox movement) this resulted in a much better gear change in first.

The Rebel has also been temporarily fitted with a set door mirrors... when driving the car last year it was decided that the original long stalk wing mirrors were too prone too movement to be practical for regular use. The decision was taken to swap them for a set of Tex door mirrors as soon as the budget allowed. The Tex mirriors never quite got ordered and in the end we have fitted a set of mirriors I was intending to fit the the rebel van. I bought them at a car boot sale for £1.50...! bonus points to anyone who can tell me which car they were originally fitted too.

The rebel was then driven the 45 mile trip over to the Isle of Wight. It made it despite an issue developing with the voltage regulator not putting out enough power to charge the battery. Some bump starting later and the rebel made it to the tent in where it will be prepped and painted.

Some time was also spent working out how much money had been spent in total so far... Which even if you discount the spending on race engines still amounts to a substantial amount.

Hopefully I can update soon with some progress on paint and engine building...! :)

PatrickMcRebel

Post by PatrickMcRebel » Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:45 pm

Well done, I didn't think you guys were so young. Cant wait to see it painted.

Paddy.

1993 Reliant Scimitar Sabre 1400cvh
1971 Reliant Rebel 700 Saloon

Coco La Blanc

Post by Coco La Blanc » Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:21 pm

Joe/Dave,
Excellent work again lads. The mirrors look like SE5a (but then I'm a little biased !) ? Unlimited choice of engine to play with however I assume cost is the major factor here.
Regards,
Viv

windy

Post by windy » Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:20 am

Thanks for sharing the pics Joe & Dave. Glad to see you made it to this stage, can't wait to see it in paint :)

Joe.
RSSOC Member

Post by Joe. » Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:33 pm

With the Rebel undergoing prep for painting we've started to think about building up a decent engine. This is no small task, During the last 8 months numerous engines (at least 12) and countless parts have been acquired with the intention of building a "tuned" 750cc motor, Unfortunately other than spending a impressive amount of cash we hadn't actually made any progress on this front until recently...

The following photos show some of the parts we've been procrastinating over. The first set of photos show a Brand New 750cc engine block with balanced crank and flywheel, polished con-rods and strapped center main bearing. Its in its original packing case destined for Export and has no serial number.

These next three show a ex 750 Formula Race engine. Fitted with a Ford Kent oil-pump on a custom cast Ali timing cover driven off the front of the camshaft, Polished rods, strapped center main, lightened rockers, high lift cam and non vacuum distributor.

We bought this Early 600cc engine last year, Modified for 750 formula use it came with the following - All 3 main bearings strapped, High lift cam, fully lightened and polished crank and rods, hepolite pistons, ported head and lightened rockers and a full flow oilfilter conversion instead of the original bypass arrangement. The intention had been to use this engine but once we stripped it down it needed a fair amount of work, The block has cracked across where the center head stud thread is located (a common problem with reliant's), the crank was badly scored and the liners were badly pitted on the outside where they're exposed to the water-jacket.

Rather than use one of those engines I've decided to spend even more money on modifying the original 600cc engine that came with the car (the only reason i can come up with to justify this is that it has the right serial number on the side) The block has now been modified to take 750/850 liners and the current plan is to use a 750cc crankshaft rather than a longer throw 850 one to reduce piston speed and make it a bit more responsive on the rev front. The next stage will be to get the center head stud Tig welded up, steam clean the block and strap the center main bearing and modify the oil system to give better flow to the main bearings.

In the next post I'll share some of the options for ancillaries, heads, cranks, valve-train etc!.

Anyone want to buy some race engines? :D

Dave

Joe.
RSSOC Member

Post by Joe. » Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:51 am

These first few photos show some of the Head's that might end up on the finished engine and the other photos show a few of the other bits and pieces that are lying around. The top photo shows a unused DARVI Big Valve 750 formula race head that's had the inlet valves enlarged pretty much as far as you can go with the reliant head - the valve seat inserts are actually pocketed into the side of the combustion chamber to get them to fit, It just needs skimming down to whatever compression ratio is desired, it also requires the use of special head gaskets as the combustion chamber is larger than the aperture of a standard reliant gasket.

Comparison between the big-valve head (top) and a early 750 formula head at the bottom with standard valves.

A couple of photos showing a ex 750 Formula Head, Exhaust ports flowed out to suit tubular manifold, double valve springs and lightened retaining washers.

I have countless sets of lightened rocker gear and solid steel rockershaft turrets (the standard ones are die cast alloy and liable to flex and distortion)

Another nice bit of kit which I'll almost certainly never use is this DARVI 750 Formula Dry Sump Setup - Inc Custom cast alloy sump pan, Camshaft driven oil pressure and scavenge pump and remote reservoir/swirl pot.

Lightweight alloy engine front-plates rather than the heavy standard steel ones:

Assorted Toothed belt water-pumps and pulleys:

Polished and lightened crankshaft (needs regrinding)

Brand new Crankshaft in Reliant Box with matched bearings.

I've also got a fair old collection of carburetors - Weber ICH, Dellorto FZD, Zenith, SU etc. Dick Harvey Headgaskets, Solid Copper Headgaskets, New Headstuds, dizzy drives etc. The problem is deciding what to use!

Dave

Return to “Other 4 Wheeled Reliants”