A Red Rebel Restoration....!

For other Reliants.
Also known as Kitten Corner, Rebels Retreat..make up your own name!
We all know Reliant ownership is contagious

Moderators: scimjim, philhoward, Lukeyboy46, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington

Joe.
RSSOC Member

Re: Scimitar Saves Rebel - With Pictures

Post by Joe. » Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:59 pm

Some photos showing progress on the bodyshell:

Whilst picking at a small crack a large section of the front skirt/bumper moulding dropped off!. poorly repaired accident damage which was held together with body filler!

Photo showing floor repairs

replacement stiffening plates under the seats ready to be glassed in.

front end jigsaw being reassembled

small repairs were needed to both wheel arches where previous accident damage had caused delamination

passenger side footwell - had a hole, the old front chassis outrigger on this side was also badly bent so someone must have driven over something unwise

view behind front bumper showing various repairs

Joe.
RSSOC Member

Post by Joe. » Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:15 am

Re-uniting the Bodyshell and Chassis:

One...

Two..

Three!

Rollbar in situ - this will be glassed into the bodyshell shortly.

rear outrigger and the mounting plate on the bottom of the rollbar

rear of engine bay

forward view of engine bay

How it looks Now:

How it looked about a Month ago :shock: :

neil stevenson

Post by neil stevenson » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:13 pm

At this rate it should be ready for Curbs.

Neil Stevenson,
1800Ti SS1
1600cc SS1now sold but I loved it so much I bought another SS1.
1974 SE5a sold but not forgotten.
A Robin that was the worst vehicle I have ever owned. At least I made a few quid when I sold it.

Joe.
RSSOC Member

Post by Joe. » Sun Jul 31, 2011 12:54 am

A few more photos of recent rebel work:

Boot strap supports being glassed in:

Rollbar padded out to remove the dent in the roof and prepped for fibreglass.

Rollbar getting first fibreglass layer

Nice new UNF bolts to hold the chassis down, none of that metric rubbish here.

Front support refitted:

Steeing box refitted, still waiting for new track rods from Amsteer to complete the steering assembly.

Outrigger Bolts, S bolt is where the seatbelt reel will be fitted once the carpet is in.

Continuing the replacement of the chassis steelwork we cut out the corroded metal in A pillars. To do this we removed the inner roof moulding.

Extra view, this moulding will be replaced once we have glassed in new steel supports.

Channel that contained steelwork

Corroded section of steel support after removal

Drivers side Steelwork position shown on the outside of the car.

Passenger side being removed

Outside comparison, note hole blown in the wing by the steel expanding.

The rotten steel will be replaced soon and hopefully we can start looking at the engine and interior!
Last edited by Joe. on Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

philhoward
RSSOC Member

Post by philhoward » Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:35 am

Cracking work, Joe!

Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin
SS1 1600 Rooster Turbo; Sabre Mk1.5, Sabre Mk2
Previous: SE5/5a/SS1 No.1/SS1 Rooster/SS1 1800Ti/SE5a 24 Valve
http://www.ss1turbo.com
Never try and argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you based on experience.

Joe.
RSSOC Member

Re: A Red Rebel Restoration....!

Post by Joe. » Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:48 am

So its been a while since this thread was updated but there has been progress on the rebel! even if i have been distracted by work and scimitar commitments!

so as they say... pictures speak louder than words!

Our first attempt to run the best of our engines resulted in a blowing headgasket so we sent the head off for a skim and it came back nice and smooth:

Block awaiting a skimmed head (pedantic Relaint purists will be pleased to know this is a 598cc engine! as per original spec)

Now with added gasket!

Head goes on:

With the head fitted we decided to inspect the bottom end and discovered a holed sump!

Fortunately the bottom end looked pretty good.

I recently spotted a set of Rostyle Wheels off an MG available locally. The price of £15 for 4 reasonable tyres and wheels seemed to good to pass up. They are not quite the same as having the old wheels but the budget is a bit tight to splash out on an all new set of tyres.

New brake shoes have been fitted all round as well as new brake pipes, This meant the brakes could now be bled!

Finally a photo of the engine now back in place! its so light it can be comfortably lifted in and out of position with 2 people. The following day the rebel moved under its own power for the first time in 20 years.

Cheers,

Joe

reliant-reviver
RSSOC Member

Post by reliant-reviver » Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:41 am

Absolutely cracking work guys, you really aren't afraid to get stuck in and get on with it!

I hear a certain Coupe Registrar has a Rebel estate ripe for restoration when you're done...

Philip Andrew.
'74 Robin Super Saloon, '84 SS1 1300, '86 SS1 1800ti, '87 SS1 1300
Previous: I lost count around fifty.

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

Post by Roger Pennington » Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:52 am

Joe. wrote: Finally a photo of the engine now back in place! its so light it can be comfortably lifted in and out of position with 2 people. The following day the rebel moved under its own power for the first time in 20 years.
Great progress! In Don Pither's "Reliant Sports Cars" book there's a photo of a Reliant manager, in suit and tie, holding up an engine on his own, to demonstrate how light it is. Management were obviously made of stern stuff in them days!....

....Roger

RSSOC member (since 1982)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Condition can be bought at any time; Originality, once lost, is gone forever" - Doug Nye

Corky
RSSOC Member

Post by Corky » Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:02 am

We have a portable Reliant engined fire pump at work, that is (according to the risk assessment) a 4 person lift. However its easy enough with 2. I can see how the engine on it's own could be lifted by one person. The pump is now surplus and I intend to buy it (no idea what I'm going to do with it though).

Oh forgot to say :- Cracking work with the Rebel guys, I'm looking forward to seeing the photos of the completed car.

Steve
Current:- SS1 Ti RG sprint car, Honda S2000, VW Touareg 3.0 V6
Prev:- Sabre Ti, 3xSS1 Ti, SS1 16v Turbo Racer, 5XGTC, 2XSE6B, 2XSE5A, 2XV6 Coupe, Sabre 6
Project Threads & YouTube

“It's not the winning, it's the taking apart that counts"

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

Post by Roger Pennington » Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:33 am

scimitarcars.org.uk wrote:We have a portable Reliant engined fire pump at work, that is (according to the risk assessment) a 4 person lift. However its easy enough with 2. I can see how the engine on it's own could be lifted by one person. The pump is now surplus and I intend to buy it (no idea what I'm going to do with it though).
Good idea to be prepared for the next time the hood leaks I suppose :roll:

Shame it's not a Coventry Climax one........

....Roger

"Condition can be bought at any time; Originality, once lost, is gone forever" - Doug Nye

Elizabeth's dad
RSSOC Member

Post by Elizabeth's dad » Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:07 pm

I've fancied a Rebel for years (long before I actually bought my first Scimitar) and this thread is just making me want one more! Well done.

Jim

Membership No. 1779
SE5/5a Registrar

Corky
RSSOC Member

Post by Corky » Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:43 pm

Roger Pennington wrote:
Good idea to be prepared for the next time the hood leaks I suppose :roll:

Shame it's not a Coventry Climax one........
We gave a Climax one away a few years ago. It was a fantastic pump but much heavier than the Angus/Reliant one.

I've often wondered if the engine would've been any use for an historic race formula ?

Steve
Current:- SS1 Ti RG sprint car, Honda S2000, VW Touareg 3.0 V6
Prev:- Sabre Ti, 3xSS1 Ti, SS1 16v Turbo Racer, 5XGTC, 2XSE6B, 2XSE5A, 2XV6 Coupe, Sabre 6
Project Threads & YouTube

“It's not the winning, it's the taking apart that counts"

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

Post by Roger Pennington » Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:09 pm

Well, they were certainly derived from them and look very similar. I'm not sure how much actual parts commonality there is though. Some interesting background Here as well as Here.

....Roger

Joe.
RSSOC Member

Post by Joe. » Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:58 pm

I've let the photos showing of progress on the Rebel get a bit behind, These photos show the glassing in of the new steel stiffeners into the body and the work to fit modern seatbelts.

Steelwork in channel above side window and over the rear window,

A pillar close up, the steelwork ends in the front wing in the same place as reliant had theirs

B pillar view

Steel support ending in boot,

Steelwork overview,

We then folded up some steel bar to make mounting points for the seatbelts this photo shows a passenger test bracket fitted,

Seatbelt stalks test fitted,

Seatbelt overview,

Dave made up a new battery tray as the old one had mostly dissolved Its slightly larger to accommodate a scimitar sized battery,

With a battery tray and a battery borrowed from the Scimitar we spent some time refitting the electronics. Surprisingly most items came to life without too much trouble. The wiper unit worked and parked nicely, most of the old bulbs were all fine once the connections were cleaned up and even the lucas flasher unit worked!

Tail lights and indicators,

Original Headlight units working,

Joe.
RSSOC Member

Post by Joe. » Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:21 pm

This final update brings the photos of the rebel right up to date:

New exhaust system being fitted:

The old exhaust was mostly swept off the garage floor the a section of pipe just below them manifold has been replaced with flexi pipe bought form a local exhausts place. Its the first time we'd used it and It will be interesting to see how well it lasts.

We picked up an new silencer which is attached to the original tailpipe section.

It would have been nice to have fitted a replacement but the pipe bend over the axle is going to take some fabrication and there is techincally not much wrong with the old pipe!

This photo shows the new seatbelt support straps, now painted and fitted, Astute observers will also notice we now have a handbrake cable fitted.

We have also refitted the windows and 2 regal doors which i picked up for £10 the channel section on the old doors requires extensive repair and will be revisited later. The new doors were spectacularly brown, I ran out of Coarse Da pads which accounts for the slightly odd look!

Given the doors are 8 years newer than the car they required quite a bit of shimming to get them to sit right, presumably slight differences in the mouldings at Reliant.

Door closeup, The handle and latches have also been refitted and the door can only be locked on the latch from the inside, oddly the drivers door appears to have always been unable to be locked from inside the car, Presumably to stop you locking your keys in!

Drivers side door,

An inside view,

Not really sure why I took this picture tbh,

Before fitting the windows the internal moulding needed bonding back in, A scimitar Rear view mirror has been fitted until we can get a more appropriate one (the old one was in poor condition and did not survive removal.)

This final photo shows damage to the boot where the latch should mount we need to bind in new captive nuts to the holes:

We are also going to have to modify our nice new bonnet as its slightly different to the that came with the car:

The new bonnet is designed to have external hinges mounted where as ours has internal hinges:

New bonnet:

The shortlist for an Mot is now:

Sort out a cooling System,
Fit the fuel tank,
Fiberglass work to the bonnet and boot to allow them to be fitted,
We need to buy a battery and do some other small finishing off jobs.

Ps For anyone who's interested there are a couple of videos of the car on youtube showing a pre exhaust car running and moving under its own power.

http://youtu.be/I2N-U7gCI0U and http://youtu.be/suquMWUsLsA

Return to “Other 4 Wheeled Reliants”