SE6a Wiper "Wheel Boxes"

Have you documented a Scimitar related procedure and would like to share it with others? Pictures are most welcome!
Threads here also contain previous “stickies” from other sections, as a central location for quick reference information.

Moderators: scimjim, philhoward, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington, Lukeyboy46

Terry H
RSSOC Member

Re: SE6a Wiper "Wheel Boxes"

Post by Terry H » Sun Apr 17, 2011 6:02 pm

Thanks Bob, lets hope you get a favourable response.
Regards Terry H

DanDrums

Post by DanDrums » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:44 am

Hi Bob. What's the gen with those ebay wheelboxes? I emailed SVC but they didn't get back to me. I'll ring them but if the ebay ones are alright, let us all know. Mine's just fallen to pieces! :(

Best, Dan

Transit Mk3 in vermillion red G761 MCA 'Gordon'
Scimitar SE6a in faded peppermint green & grey go-faster stripe CCX 36S 'Des'

Gemini Bob
RIP

Post by Gemini Bob » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:04 pm

Hi Dan, it was the bezel and gaskets I emailed about and I have not had a reply.

Regards
Bob
HUE 1979 SE6a GTE Auto
If the cap fits wear it.
If at first you don't succeed, pay someone who knows what they are doing.
Scimitars Biggest Fan
Resto viewtopic.php?f=20&t=3377 Just for Geoff ;-)

DanDrums

Post by DanDrums » Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:09 pm

I've bit the bullet and risked a whole £20 on one off ebay :) The seller says it's 32 teeth and 50mm spindle length. Should do as a replacement for the drivers side. It comes with rubber mounting kit which looks about the right angle. I don't think the chrome ones on offer have the correct chamfer for a GTE so I'm going to re-use the existing rubber ones with an extra soft rubber gasket underneath.

Anyone thinking about doing this job and I know a lot of you are. Access to the driver side wheel box on a 6a is relatively easy, just remove the large diameter plastic air tube going from the 'T' piece to the heater matrix under the steering wheel. There's a cavity you can just about get a small spanner in to to take the back of the box off then the box will just pull off the rack with a few twists and turns (remove the wiper, nut and top rubber first, um, obviously.

The passenger side looks a little trickier. Access is the same, remove the tube and you wan see inside the cavity for the box. There are a lot of wires in the way though and the rack sheath which goes between the two boxes underneath the windscreen will have to be pulled through first. I haven't tried this bit yet but will do if the first wheelbox fits okay and is a genuine replacement.

So for now, fingers x'd I'll keep you updated!

Dan

Transit Mk3 in vermillion red G761 MCA 'Gordon'
Scimitar SE6a in faded peppermint green & grey go-faster stripe CCX 36S 'Des'

Return to “How To Guides/FAQs”