Engine misfire, & cutting out, ask the Guru,s.

Moderators: scimjim, philhoward, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington, Lukeyboy46

Terry Rickard
RSSOC Member

Post by Terry Rickard » Fri Sep 07, 2018 3:33 pm

I use NGK Iridium plugs BKR6EIX-11 in my SE6a. Good starting and better running. You need good (8mm) HT leads as well - always, but especially with Iridium plugs.

tintop
RSSOC Member

Post by tintop » Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:56 am

If I get time next week, I will give it a run, then report my? progress. The only problem is! If & when the engine cuts out, its at the lights or at a junction, so I have to pick my route carefully, when the roads are quiet.
I started useing Denso plugs to see if they were better than the original Motorcraft, that were going at that time.Going back to my motorbike days, at lot of my mates used Lodge, because of the 3 pronges,I found that one alwaysed oiled up, so didnt achieved much. Champion plugs were OK, but I found KLG worked best in my machine. So thats why I tried the Denso in the Essex, up to now they have proved OK, but with that said, the problem may dwell in the Luminition modual?
Thank you for all the advice

Scimitar Se6a, M G ZT, C1,2 BIKES, A Model Messerschmitt Bf 109 a 1cc diesel engine[ a bit battered] been in the wars!

Terry Rickard
RSSOC Member

Post by Terry Rickard » Sat Sep 08, 2018 2:40 pm

Luminition modules don't last forever. I fitted an Accuspark unit inside the dizzy cap and that also gives good starting and better running.
As said earlier, an Accuspark unit tidies up under the bonnet by getting rid of a box and all that wiring.

mark rudder
RSSOC Member

Post by mark rudder » Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:12 am

Just a thought.
Assuming the correct heat range & a new plug wasn't dropped on the concrete floor,
any new quality spark plugs will eliminate the plugs as the issue. I'd be looking
elsewhere. Is the module getting hot? If so it could fail until cooling.

Mark from down under.
Current GTE 6B, Dolomite Sprint, Scirocco R. Past XJS (manual), V12 E-type (manual, convertible, lovely) 350 chev XJ6, TR6, TR4, Sprite, Midget, local Ford V8s, others... There's a pattern here.….

tintop
RSSOC Member

Post by tintop » Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:12 pm

Many of the faults that have been mentioned, I have looked into!I changed the plugs, as I know they are good [ NGK ] plus grabbing at straws a bit. I also think the next move, is as sudgested, which is renew the Lumintion unit, there is not much else to change. Thans again for all the advice, I will get back when the unit has been replaced, and up and running.

Scimitar Se6a, M G ZT, C1,2 BIKES, A Model Messerschmitt Bf 109 a 1cc diesel engine[ a bit battered] been in the wars!

Nick

Post by Nick » Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:39 pm

As suggested earlier Before you change the Lumenition it is worth trying it on points.

Nick

MR2 and Beemer 3 series, currently no Scim!
Six times SSSC Class Winner
Not over the hill, just going up it faster !

rebel alliance

Post by rebel alliance » Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:54 pm

A lot earlier 😊

tintop
RSSOC Member

Post by tintop » Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:37 pm

A update on my misfire problems,Two problems have been found: 1- mechanical fuel pump tired, so electric pump fitted. The electronic ignition found to be Newtronic system, this replaced with type fitied inside the distributure. The engine running a lot sweeter, but needs a good run.

tintop
RSSOC Member

Post by tintop » Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:45 pm

The latest, with regards to the misfire problem. I have renewed the plugs, ht leads rotor arm, electronic ignition, with the unit inside the distributer, new coil and ballast resistor,electric fuel pump, oil change 20/50 mineral, & filter.
After all this I still havent found time to give it a good run, but I have used it locally, run it on tick over on the drive, the fan has come on, but it eventually cuts out. The fuel is ok, as with the fuel pipes, I thought they may have collapsed, with the suction on the pump. The positive, is that the engine starts instantly, runs smooth, and the power is their, so not much to be said, until I get a bit more time.

Return to “Se6/6a/6b/GTC”