SE6a Temp Gauge reading low?

Moderators: scimjim, philhoward, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington, Lukeyboy46

RichM
RSSOC Member

Post by RichM » Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:21 pm

Hi all, my SE6a Rover V8 conversion (formerly Badger's car) has a low reading temp gauge.

Before I start tinkering I wonder if anyone has an opinion on what the likely causes might be?

When the engine is up to temp the electric kenlowe fan kicks in. The rad is evenly warm all over as are the pipes suggesting that coolant is moving around the engine. However, the gauge mostly reads 0 degrees, occasionally rising to about 10 or 20 degrees max.

The previous owner said that he had all of the gauges reconditioned and re-calibrated so hopefully that isn't the culprit. Or maybe that's what caused the problem?!

I guess temp sender might be first thing to check?

Any help appreciated!

Cheers Rich

Oldconn
RSSOC Member

Post by Oldconn » Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:51 pm

The original temp.sender would have been specifically for the Smiths gauge fitted to most Scimitars. Ford temp senders will give a false reading. Check the make of your gauge and look for an Essex temp sender.
Edit: Iv'e just noticed, of course, yours is a Rover V8 conversion :oops:

"When I grow up, I want to be me"
-Kermit Weeks
Current: SE6A; 998 Mini.Previous: Morris Minor,Ford8, Cortinas Mk1 &2,MG Midget 1932,Morgan 3W 1934,Lagonda Rapier,Honda S800, Austin Maxi,Citroen GSA, Riley ElfMk2,Peugeot 505,Rover 420 SDI

AJL Electronics
RSSOC Member

Post by AJL Electronics » Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:05 pm

Short the sender connector to deck. You should then get full scale deflection if the gauge is OK. That will prove the sender or not being faulty. Make sure that the fuel gauge is reading correctly in case the regulator which feeds both has gone down. You could also do a sender resistance check.

Yes, we can mend your Scimitar!
Order your Scimitar parts any hour of the day at http://www.classicmicrocars.com (member's discounts).

Fancy a holiday in Gael, France? http://www.ianrhu.com

There is no point trying to teach a pig to sing. It doesn't work and it annoys the pig.

RichM
RSSOC Member

Post by RichM » Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:16 pm

Thanks guys, I'll try shorting it and see what happens.

Forgive me if its a daft question (trying to get me to understand electronics is a bit like getting a dog to read Shakespeare) but I just want to clarify - shorting it will check that the Gauge is responding correctly to a peak or max signal and if so this would suggest that the Gauge is ok but the Sender is either faulty (or possibly the incorrect type)?

And if that's the case then the logical next step might be possible replacement of the Sender with a known 'Smiths/Scimitar' compatible one (assuming it will fit in the V8 etc).

(BTW The fuel gauge seems to read ok, its just the temp that seems way off)

Rich

scimjim
RSSOC Member

Post by scimjim » Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:28 pm

Correct, the fuel and temp gauges get a stabilised +10ish volts from the voltage stabiliser, the senders vary the resistance to earth. Giving it “full” Earth should give full scale deflection on the gauge.

I would think there’s a good chance the senders will share the same thread.

Jim King

Current: SE5 (8Ball), TI SS1 (snotty), 1600 SS1 (G97), 1600 SS1 (C686CCR), 2.5TD SE5a (diesel 5a), 6 x random other SS1s.
Previous: SE5, 3 x SE5a, 2 x SE6a, 3 x SE6b, GTC, 2.9i GTC, 3 x 1600 SS1, 1300 SS1, Mk1 Ti Sabre, Mk1.5 CVH Sabre
Chief mechanic for: 1400 K series SS1 (Megan3), 1400 CVH EFi SS1 (Grawpy), Sabre/MX5 auto (The Flying Broomstick),
1300 SS1 (Number One) & Sarah's coupe.
CURE THE FAULT - NOT THE SYMPTOMS

peter freeman
RSSOC Member

Post by peter freeman » Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:30 pm

scimjim wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:28 pm

I would think there’s a good chance the senders will share the same thread.
From memory they do - I had a V8 in my 6A - sorry to let it go as the engine really suited the car.

Return to “Se6/6a/6b/GTC”