My progress with rust.....

Moderators: scimjim, philhoward, Lukeyboy46, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington

philhoward
RSSOC Member

Re: My progress with rust.....

Post by philhoward » Mon Jun 15, 2015 6:18 am

Relaying the headlamps is always a good idea - increases light output, saves the light switch and the fusebox! Finish the job Reliant started as the fitted a relay to the inners only.

Cracking work by the way!

Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin
SS1 1600 Rooster Turbo; Sabre Mk1.5, Sabre Mk2
Previous: SE5/5a/SS1 No.1/SS1 Rooster/SS1 1800Ti/SE5a 24 Valve
SS1 Racer
http://www.ss1turbo.com
Never try and argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you based on experience.

DARK STAR
RSSOC Member

Post by DARK STAR » Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:04 am

I'll echo that!
Glad I didn't have so much to do on the front of my GTC ...

Chris Johnson
RSSOC 1979> Rhubarb SE6a V8 1979-1997 Dark Star Coupé 1989> Scimitar France 2010> Vert Soleil GTC 2014-2018
Scimitar France Website site Scimitar EUROPEEN

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

Post by Roger Pennington » Mon Jun 15, 2015 12:24 pm

May be too late to mention this, (or it may be what you've gone for anyway), but plastic lamp "nests" are worth having, to at least eliminate corrosion of the bowls themselves. For example 7" Nests and 5 3/4" Nests. Unfortunately, the rims aren't stainless, so they don't rate a 10/10 but they are a step in the right direction.

....Roger

RSSOC member (since 1982)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Condition can be bought at any time; Originality, once lost, is gone forever" - Doug Nye

Datsundrew

Post by Datsundrew » Mon Jun 15, 2015 10:42 pm

Good shout Roger! I've ordered plastic ones, the rings are actually ok. I put plastic on our volvo Amazon, but I'd forgotten all about it. The Volvo is a proper old rust trap, like the mini in that it is exposed at the back. The scimitar is superb in comparison, except that the radiator is so far back that anything forward does not get dried out when parked after a run.
If I put relays in for the lights (and maybe heater fans?) is it worth upgrading the fuse box? It's working and looks ok. I have just fitted a 70 amp alternator as the old looked very old and was a bit rumbly and only £30 delivered off the bay. Most of the breakdowns I've had in the past has been alternators and/ or battery so I'm on the case these days!

Datsundrew

Post by Datsundrew » Mon Jun 15, 2015 10:48 pm

A few pics taken this evening of the front end cleaned and painted....
And one of the bumper fitted with the vw golf indicators

Datsundrew

Post by Datsundrew » Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:06 am

I hope thes pics came up this time!

AnthonyJC

Post by AnthonyJC » Tue Jun 16, 2015 1:31 pm

Datsundrew wrote:The bumper bolts were a nightmare to get out, and they were obviously original, even though it had a £5000 re spray in the 90s. For that sort of money I would expect every window and grommet out, let alone the bumper! I took out the heater fans, ground off the old remains of the rubber mounts........they were both just flapping about, not attached, and replaced all 6. Luckily I have a small air grinder, as getting the old ones out would be very difficult.
Great work to date.

I know the feeling only two well regarding rusted front & rear bumper bolts!!!

I used my trusty power file to just grind down the offending heads of the bolts. It fits great into very tight spots.

Best Christmas investment ever from the domestic management, and has helped out on previous restorations as well. Load up a 60 grit belt and no bolt can withstand the assault!!

Datsundrew

Post by Datsundrew » Wed Jun 17, 2015 1:52 pm

I used to have one at work, like a mini belt linisher? A great bit of kit.....I'd forgotten about that.

AnthonyJC

Post by AnthonyJC » Wed Jun 17, 2015 4:30 pm

Yes,

I have both Air and mains powdered versions.

This is the mainstay, the mains powered one Ive been keeping busy on my SE6A

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/prod ... -powerfile

Datsundrew

Post by Datsundrew » Wed Jun 17, 2015 10:18 pm

Not a lot happened this evening, I got the bumper back on and made a new crossmember out of stainless channel. I found out when putting it together that the triangle support bars are supposed to have holes in for the bumper bolts. The originals had rotted away so had nothing to copy. So the bumper bolts go through the angle, front panel, bumper and the triangle? That's a lot of holes to line up......I may need a file!

Datsundrew

Post by Datsundrew » Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:53 pm

Tonight bumper back on and the new lights arrived today, so I have spent ages trying to identify the wires and add relays to both dipped and main beam. I have to say that the original lucar connections really are rubbish. No wonder old British cars got such a bad reputation! I re wired my landrover as I got sick of dodgy electrics, but that coupled with a fibreglass body is a failure waiting to happen. Even after about a minute sobe of the connectors felt warm. Lights are far better now with halogens and relays fitted.

Datsundrew

Post by Datsundrew » Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:36 pm

Today I got the front all bolted into place, connected up and working, I had to file out a couple of holes to get everything to line up. The new lights are very bright, and the relays are well worth the effort. I ran a new live feed (fused) to each side and used the original wires to switch the relays, 2 relays each side and fused per side.
I have also replaced the washer bottle and pumps, but I've noticed the wipers are very slow......will need to look at that.

Oldconn
RSSOC Member

Post by Oldconn » Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:28 am

Where did you find the washer-bottle and pumps, please?

"When I grow up, I want to be me"
-Kermit Weeks
Current: SE6A; 998 Mini.Previous: Morris Minor,Ford8, Cortinas Mk1 &2,MG Midget 1932,Morgan 3W 1934,Lagonda Rapier,Honda S800, Austin Maxi,Citroen GSA, Riley ElfMk2,Peugeot 505,Rover 420 SDI

Datsundrew

Post by Datsundrew » Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:59 pm

I got a bottle from a Vauxhall, almost identical in size, it had the pump mounted on it but I needed 2 pumps- one for each front and rear, so got another similar. I mounted both pumps (with zip ties!) onto a piece of aluminium and then used a t piece to join the inputs to the bottle. Works well too. I will get a pic up soon.

Return to “Se6/6a/6b/GTC”