Wing Mirrors

Moderators: scimjim, philhoward, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington, Lukeyboy46

Nick_B_GTE

Wing Mirrors

Post by Nick_B_GTE » Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:41 pm

Se6b - The rubber around my drivers side wing mirror has disintegrated... It's just taped up at the moment but does anyone know if the rubber seal or even full wing mirror is available from Graham Walker?

Secondly - I have a passenger side wing mirror off a Lotus that I was wanting to bolt on to the front passenger side wing (not the door). However, I can't get to the underside of the wing to secure the nuts... Any other ideas for fixing it in place?

Thanks.

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

Re: Wing Mirrors

Post by Roger Pennington » Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:45 pm

Nick_B_GTE wrote:Se6b - The rubber around my drivers side wing mirror has disintegrated... It's just taped up at the moment but does anyone know if the rubber seal or even full wing mirror is available from Graham Walker?
GW certainly do stock the rubber plinths (assuming the standard chrome remote mirror) - I bought one when I was there last Saturday, and very nice it is too! :D

....Roger

RSSOC member (since 1982)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Condition can be bought at any time; Originality, once lost, is gone forever" - Doug Nye

Nick_B_GTE

Post by Nick_B_GTE » Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:56 pm

Thank you. Are they easy to fit? Do you have to take the door panel off??

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

Post by Roger Pennington » Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:10 pm

I don't know - I'll have a better idea when I actually get around to doing the job (hopefully before the old one disintegrates completely!). I'd like to think it was going to be easy, but past experience suggests that something that's been on for 30-odd years, in a damp environment, may put up a fight! :evil: Stainless nuts on reassembly, I think :)

(I'm sure you will have to take off the inner door card for access)

....Roger

"Condition can be bought at any time; Originality, once lost, is gone forever" - Doug Nye

Nick_B_GTE

Post by Nick_B_GTE » Thu Jun 04, 2015 11:00 pm

For the passenger side wing mirror, I have just read on a boating forum that self tapping screws will be fine on fibreglass to secure mirror to front wing where I can't get access to the underside to bolt it in place.

AJL Electronics
RSSOC Member

Post by AJL Electronics » Fri Jun 05, 2015 6:51 am

With Lokuts, maybe, but not bare.

Yes, we can mend your Scimitar!
Order your Scimitar parts any hour of the day at http://www.classicmicrocars.com (member's discounts).

Fancy a holiday in Gael, France? http://www.ianrhu.com

There is no point trying to teach a pig to sing. It doesn't work and it annoys the pig.

ScimmyMike
RSSOC Member

Post by ScimmyMike » Fri Jun 05, 2015 1:19 pm

Nick_B_GTE wrote:For the passenger side wing mirror, I have just read on a boating forum that self tapping screws will be fine on fibreglass to secure mirror to front wing where I can't get access to the underside to bolt it in place.
You can certainly, my Audi 80 type are currently fixed that way, they don't half bounce about though which in itself can create stress in the door skins, bolted are better and if you're doing anything to the originals you'll need to remove the door card as they should be a bolted fixing, least mine were, they will be refitted I've decided :roll:

SE4c rebuilding. SE5a similar it seems!
SAAB C900 2 door
Scimitar SE4 SE4c SE5 SE6b Austin A35

High Peak Noggin Secretary & general dogsbody

www.high peak noggin

If you can see the tree before you hit it that's understeer
if you only feel the tree as you hit it that's oversteer

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

Post by Roger Pennington » Fri Jun 05, 2015 9:18 pm

You can put self tappers in fibreglass, but for something like this I think you'd at least need the Lokuts that Andy suggests, and really I think a proper bolted fixing would be a lot better. Bear in mind that there are few boats that can maintain a sustained cruise of 70+ mph, so the aerodynamic loads of boats are rather different to those acting on a car :D

....Roger

scimjim
RSSOC Member

Post by scimjim » Fri Jun 05, 2015 9:41 pm

Self tappers into GRP is a bodge IMO - it's what Cowboys would use when selling a car (or boat), it's not secure and won't survive being taken out and refitted more than once.

Jim King

Current: SE5 (8Ball), TI SS1 (snotty), 1600 SS1 (G97), 1600 SS1 (C686CCR), 2.5TD SE5a (diesel 5a), 6 x random other SS1s.
Previous: SE5, 3 x SE5a, 2 x SE6a, 3 x SE6b, GTC, 2.9i GTC, 3 x 1600 SS1, 1300 SS1, Mk1 Ti Sabre, Mk1.5 CVH Sabre
Chief mechanic for: 1400 K series SS1 (Megan3), 1400 CVH EFi SS1 (Grawpy), Sabre/MX5 auto (The Flying Broomstick),
1300 SS1 (Number One) & Sarah's coupe.
CURE THE FAULT - NOT THE SYMPTOMS

Nick_B_GTE

Wing Mirrors

Post by Nick_B_GTE » Sat Sep 08, 2018 2:40 am

Thanks I took off the door card and bolted it on :)

Return to “Se6/6a/6b/GTC”