GTC Manual Gearbox removal

Moderators: scimjim, philhoward, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington, Lukeyboy46

Alan_GTC

Post by Alan_GTC » Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:28 am

Am looking at getting the gearbox overhauled during the winter on my GTC (manual).

Have got the Autobooks manual which gives some basic instructions on removing the gearbox - so my question here is what have others experienced and what guidance would you offer to anyone looking to remove the gearbox - what are the 'gotchas' to expect, what are the surprises which the Autobooks manual doesn't tell you? All those kind of things really.

Thanks in advance.

TrevorG

Post by TrevorG » Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:48 pm

Hi Alan, I'm sure wiser people here will come back to you re removing the gearbox without engine, I'm just about to with engine on my gte albeit an essex engine, but chassis basically the same. Unless you have seeping oil into the cross members and prop shaft, wd40 them asap as the bolts can corrode with road dirt/salt etc. I've just spent all day on getting mine out! Feeling bruised and sore.

AJL Electronics
RSSOC Member

Post by AJL Electronics » Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:00 pm

TrevorG wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:48 pm
wd40 them asap
What will a Water Dispersant achieve? I would recommend a penetrating / releasing oil. Commercial options include PlusGas and GT-85. Better and cheaper is a mix of acetone and ATF mixed 50:50. Diesel will also be of some assistance if handy.

Yes, we can mend your Scimitar!
Order your Scimitar parts any hour of the day at http://www.classicmicrocars.com (member's discounts).

Fancy a holiday in Gael, France? http://www.ianrhu.com

There is no point trying to teach a pig to sing. It doesn't work and it annoys the pig.

Return to “Se6/6a/6b/GTC”