Steering not centering after new rack

Moderators: scimjim, philhoward, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington, Lukeyboy46

Coupe Racing
RSSOC Member

Post by Coupe Racing » Tue May 15, 2018 5:40 pm

hope they grease those trunions :shock: :?:

Blessed are the Cheese makers

Better to be an hour early than 1 minute late

RichM
RSSOC Member

Post by RichM » Fri May 18, 2018 11:02 pm

I picked the car up today, steering column back to normal, shrouds re-fitted, PAS rack installation checked/adjusted/corrected etc. car now centres properly and drives well. But (sighs wearily) things haven't quite gone to plan.

The new trunnions I bought to go on the car haven't been fitted. Apparently on removing the offending o/s trunnion and comparing it to the new one it was noticed that the new ones were angled and the old one not.

As they don't have proper measuring equipment to adjust castor/camber etc.and given that the suspension is slightly modified (wishbones swapped over and top brackets shimmed to compensate castor angle etc.) they decided not to fit the new trunnions for fear of throwing out the suspension geometry with the change of angle, but instead used the new bolt/bushes etc. to refurb the existing o/s trunnion (n/s currently 'ok').

I know they have put in the hours on the car today (one mechanic most of the day) and they haven't charged me anything for this work, and the original task of replacing the steering rack has been completed and is functional. On that basis I'm happy with the fact that they've finished that job and that the car now steers and corners properly etc. but I now have two new issues;

Firstly my very expensive trunnions still haven't been fitted, and indeed I've lost one set of bushes/bolts etc. to fix the old one.

Secondly, it looks like I have the 'wrong' trunnions currently fitted at present, I'm guessing most likely the non PAS type as they have little or no angle apparently, certainly not the 11˚ of the new replacements, so they'll have to come off sooner rather than later...........

One step forward, several yards back.........!

scimjim
RSSOC Member

Post by scimjim » Fri May 18, 2018 11:43 pm

Has your car been converted from non PAS or has some cheapskate swapped everything around to enable non-PAS trunnions to be fitted!

Jim King

Current: SE5 (8Ball), TI SS1 (snotty), 1600 SS1 (G97), 1600 SS1 (C686CCR), 2.5TD SE5a (diesel 5a), 6 x random other SS1s.
Previous: SE5, 3 x SE5a, 2 x SE6a, 3 x SE6b, GTC, 2.9i GTC, 3 x 1600 SS1, 1300 SS1, Mk1 Ti Sabre, Mk1.5 CVH Sabre
Chief mechanic for: 1400 K series SS1 (Megan3), 1400 CVH EFi SS1 (Grawpy), Sabre/MX5 auto (The Flying Broomstick),
1300 SS1 (Number One) & Sarah's coupe.
CURE THE FAULT - NOT THE SYMPTOMS

gtcse8
RSSOC Member

Post by gtcse8 » Sat May 19, 2018 9:05 am

Rich whats the chassis number of this car?
We can then check it for how it left the factory.
Mark

See the Beast on youtube under" RELIANT SCIMITAR CONVERSION LOL.,Se5,Se5a, Se6a, Two Se6b`s, GTC, SST 1800Ti & not a lot of sense

RichM
RSSOC Member

Post by RichM » Sun May 20, 2018 9:25 pm

Thanks Mark, chassis number: SCD1840559L005401

I think it was originally a PAS car, I have found receipts in the history for replacement racks (5 in total!?!?) It was formally owned by Badger who was an active member on here, he carried out the V8 conversion etc. but also tinkered with the front set up. I found this post from him describing the mods but no mention of using manual trunnions...

"by badger » Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:19 am
I used a set of Spax coilovers (RSX600) and turned the wishbones upside down to lower mine by about 60mm at the front and 40mm at the rear after I fitted a Rover V8. The car handles great, possibly because of the better weight distribution the V8 gives but I did have to shim the top wishbones by about 1/2 inch to put the camber angle right."

Given his mechanical skills I can't imagine he put the wrong ones on, though it could have been the owner prior to me I suppose, though it wasn't mentioned in the list of jobs he'd done on the car. It's a mystery......!

rebel alliance

Post by rebel alliance » Sun May 20, 2018 9:32 pm

The guy you bought it from in fareham did have an issue with a knocking from the suspension so it is possible he had new trunnions fitted , he had all work done by a mechanic...you could always ask him

scimjim
RSSOC Member

Post by scimjim » Sun May 20, 2018 9:35 pm

Yep, 184 is auto, PAS, RHD.

With non-PAS trunnions on a PAS rack you would normally find the lower wishbone mounts on the wrong sides and the top wishbones the wrong way round just to fit the uprights. I’d remove the whole lot (including 1/2” spacer) and check everything is in the right place.

Jim King

Current: SE5 (8Ball), TI SS1 (snotty), 1600 SS1 (G97), 1600 SS1 (C686CCR), 2.5TD SE5a (diesel 5a), 6 x random other SS1s.
Previous: SE5, 3 x SE5a, 2 x SE6a, 3 x SE6b, GTC, 2.9i GTC, 3 x 1600 SS1, 1300 SS1, Mk1 Ti Sabre, Mk1.5 CVH Sabre
Chief mechanic for: 1400 K series SS1 (Megan3), 1400 CVH EFi SS1 (Grawpy), Sabre/MX5 auto (The Flying Broomstick),
1300 SS1 (Number One) & Sarah's coupe.
CURE THE FAULT - NOT THE SYMPTOMS

RichM
RSSOC Member

Post by RichM » Sun May 20, 2018 9:48 pm

Cheers guys, Jim I think you're right, take it all out and start again is the only way to ensure the correct set-up.

Regarding the knocking noises, they were terrible, mainly coming from O/S, and disappeared as soon as the O/S trunnion re-bushed. That is until I drove twenty miles or so and now the N/S has started up............

I shall now re-read all about the dark art of refurbishing Scimitar Front Suspension. That should send me to sleep pretty quick :D

Return to “Se6/6a/6b/GTC”