SE6A Rear Axle

Moderators: scimjim, philhoward, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington, Lukeyboy46

Dcrosby13
RSSOC Member

SE6A Rear Axle

Post by Dcrosby13 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:34 am

Hi,

I rented some time on a car lift so that we could have a good poke around underneath and in general it looks great with very little corrosion, the suspension all looks healthy including the trunnions. unfortunately whilst inspecting the rear axle there appears to be a lot of play in it, when driving it's not groaning or whining but there is a definite clunk when accelerating or decelerating and whilst rotating the drive shaft back and forth I can also hear clunking toward the wheels which is odd and unexpected half shafts maybe?. has anyone had one of these axles rebuilt before? if so I would be interested in hearing where you had the work done and roughly how much it cost? is this something to be concerned about or is it a "they all do that sir" moment? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I break stuff...... :w

philhoward
RSSOC Member

SE6A Rear Axle

Post by philhoward » Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:46 am

Play in the axle is a subjective thing - they all have some backlash. If it doesn’t whine or howl and has oil in it, I’d leave it be..

Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin
SS1 1600 Rooster Turbo; Sabre Mk1.5, Sabre Mk2
Previous: SE5/5a/SS1 No.1/SS1 Rooster/SS1 1800Ti/SE5a 24 Valve
http://www.ss1turbo.com
Never try and argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you based on experience.

peter freeman
RSSOC Member

SE6A Rear Axle

Post by peter freeman » Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:16 am

I would also leave it as I have never had a quiet axle - they make a noise accelerating or decelerating or all the time. Rumour has it that the axles rejected by Aston were delivered to Reliant - worth checking the end float though.

Dcrosby13
RSSOC Member

SE6A Rear Axle

Post by Dcrosby13 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 3:45 pm

Thanks guys

I break stuff...... :w

Return to “Se6/6a/6b/GTC”