GTC Tonneau cover

Moderators: scimjim, philhoward, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington, Lukeyboy46

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

GTC Tonneau cover

Post by Roger Pennington » Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:11 pm

I have seen a tonneau with canine provision - admittedly, a different kind of car, and a smaller dog! :lol:
IMG_0964.jpg
IMG_0964.jpg (138.77 KiB) Viewed 1041 times

....Roger

RSSOC member (since 1982)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Condition can be bought at any time; Originality, once lost, is gone forever" - Doug Nye

Dennis Nicholas
RSSOC Member

GTC Tonneau cover

Post by Dennis Nicholas » Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:44 pm

Time is fast approaching for the visit to the GTC Tonneau man on the 4th Thursday of Jan.
One small snippet is that the mesh window on my car was that size because Guy just happened to have one off- cut that size left over at the time. I repeat however that you can't see the edges in the rear view mirror. He is sourcing a new roll so he is happy to do any size you want.

Top Cap.
I am trying to find time to design something (have horrible post festivities cold at moment so little enthusiasm). My first thought for the front is to use a flat bar of alloy with flat hinge in middle to allow folding in half for stowage, so no requirement to find a hood front rail. Two over-centre hooked latches would hook into the existing GTC hood sockets. The material would flap over the screen rail and round the sides to keep rain out. The cap would be shaped to go over side windows.........this upside down shallow bag should be a good fit so it is resistant to blowing up at the sides. Still thinking about rear but sounds like it will be velcro on the tonneau on top of the roll bar similar to the Bill Sims design.
The cap would stow on the folded hood.

Man with big dog.......how about a zip open hatch with waterproofing flaps on one side!!!!! unfortunately dog would not benefit from draft protection!

Dernnis

Dennis Nicholas(RSSOC)
1980 GTC Trafalgar Blue, 2010 basic Skoda Yeti (petrol), Austin 7s, Rileys.

Coastline
RSSOC Member

GTC Tonneau cover

Post by Coastline » Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:14 am

giddo wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:38 pm
Calling all GTC owners.

I am in discussion with a supplier of Tonneau covers for GTC, this Co has already supplied one identical to my preferred design, to a RSSOC member some years ago which continues to perform satisfactorily, see attached fotos. The fabric will be mohair, colour black. Budgetary price is expected to be £300 with delivery in January18
If there are any other members interested the supplier has said there would be a discount if he made a batch in one go. I am only asking for expressions of interest at this stage, no commitments.

DSCN2158.JPG
DSCN2156.JPG

Listening – out

Mike Giddens
member No 5332
mikeilex@btinternet.com

Looks to be a great idea so please add me to the list for one of these. I am thinking of the larger rear window with the clear plastic rather than a net. I would also be interested in the cost of the top cover if they are going to make these to.

Please let me know of any progress with the manufacturers.
Thanks

Dennis Nicholas
RSSOC Member

GTC Tonneau cover

Post by Dennis Nicholas » Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:22 pm

Dennis Nicholas wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:44 pm
Time is fast approaching for the visit to the GTC Tonneau man on the 4th Thursday of Jan.
One small snippet is that the mesh window on my car was that size because Guy just happened to have one off- cut that size left over at the time. I repeat however that you can't see the edges in the rear view mirror. He is sourcing a new roll so he is happy to do any size you want.

Top Cap.
I am trying to find time to design something (have horrible post festivities cold at moment so little enthusiasm). My first thought for the front is to use a flat bar of alloy with flat hinge in middle to allow folding in half for stowage, so no requirement to find a hood front rail. Two over-centre hooked latches would hook into the existing GTC hood sockets. The material would flap over the screen rail and round the sides to keep rain out. The cap would be shaped to go over side windows.........this upside down shallow bag should be a good fit so it is resistant to blowing up at the sides. Still thinking about rear but sounds like it will be velcro on the tonneau on top of the roll bar similar to the Bill Sims design.

Man with big dog.......how about a zip open hatch with waterproofing flaps on one side!!!!! unfortunately dog would not benefit from draft protection!

Dernnis
Further thought....due to the mesh "window" I believe this will require the top cap to have a flap that will cover this to keep rain out so the flap could have two button fasteners at the bottom and hence no requirement for velcro along top of tonneau over roll bar.

Dennis

Dennis Nicholas(RSSOC)

petermisy
RIP

GTC Tonneau cover

Post by petermisy » Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:05 pm

Dennis Nicholas wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:22 pm
Dennis Nicholas wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:44 pm

Top Cap.

Dernnis
Further thought....due to the mesh "window" I believe this will require the top cap to have a flap that will cover this to keep rain out so the flap could have two button fasteners at the bottom and hence no requirement for velcro along top of tonneau over roll bar.

Dennis
Are you suggesting no rear view while driving, Dennis, apart from door mirrors?

Peter

GTC Prototype XJW 247T
GTC No. 381 A381 GTC (was A24 EPB)
MGB GT 1971 EPE 838J (project)

2016 Ford Galaxy Titanium X 180bhp
Ford Transit Connect van
2016 Bailey Pegasus Verona Caravan

Dennis Nicholas
RSSOC Member

GTC Tonneau cover

Post by Dennis Nicholas » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:34 pm

NO. The top cap is only put on when car parked. The Tonneau is in place when driving to keep out draft and small amounts of rain, with the vertical part either up or down depending on the temperature. When the car is parked the top cap is put on in case of rain, so the flap would cover the mesh to prevent rain entry.
The hood performs the function of being the water proofing while driving.........thought that would all be obvious?

Dennis

Dennis Nicholas(RSSOC)

petermisy
RIP

GTC Tonneau cover

Post by petermisy » Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:54 pm

Dennis Nicholas wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:34 pm
NO. The top cap is only put on when car parked. The Tonneau is in place when driving to keep out draft and small amounts of rain, with the vertical part either up or down depending on the temperature. When the car is parked the top cap is put on in case of rain, so the flap would cover the mesh to prevent rain entry.
The hood performs the function of being the water proofing while driving.........thought that would all be obvious?

Dennis
Yes, obvious now you explain, but I drive with mine on.

The Tonneau is fitted and I use it as a wind deflector, if rain is imminent I simply put the top on which takes literally seconds, rather than removing the rear Tonneau and lifting the soft top. I can carry on driving or park up and leave it. I tend to use it at each end of the summer, seems much more convenient.

Peter

GTC Prototype XJW 247T
GTC No. 381 A381 GTC (was A24 EPB)
MGB GT 1971 EPE 838J (project)

2016 Ford Galaxy Titanium X 180bhp
Ford Transit Connect van
2016 Bailey Pegasus Verona Caravan

giddo
RSSOC Member

GTC Tonneau cover

Post by giddo » Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:17 am

Tonneau progress :-
Visited the supplier on 25/1/18, pattern made, design details in line with foregoing, a bit disappointing his workload means delivery / fitting will not be before 20th Feb :(

Mike Giddens
The frog ? I live in a village called Frogham

Dennis Nicholas
RSSOC Member

GTC Tonneau cover

Post by Dennis Nicholas » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:48 am

Tonneau progress....further info.
A roll of netting has been obtained by Guy to enable larger rear window if required....Patterns made are for larger rear window.
Guy will make the tonneau but leave finishing off the outside edging till car with him for final exact fitting (though it is not expected that there is going to be any variation in measurement between any GTC bodies. A pocket will be incorporated in middle at front and back of cover to enable tent pole insertion to give a ridge to prevent current dip where water collects in middle. I have suggested using 2 poleswith a join in the middle to allow folding.

Still to work on top cap design but so far thought is a block of alloy at positions above each of the current hood fixing slots and a further one in the middle. on top of the 3 blocks would be screwed a flat plastic strip which would extend slightly over the body at the top of the windscreen. The plastic strip would have a thin "piano"hinge in middle to allow it to fold. The two blocks of alloy above the hood fastenings would have a further alloy angle bracket screwed onto the rear face so overhanging the body hood ledge to give a longer face for an over-center hook to screw up onto. The top cap material would cover all at the front except the hooks. The hook would hook into the front of the existing hood fastening slots. The material would extend over the front of the body above the windscreen. At the back a flap would extend down to cover the netting being fastened just below the netting by 2 or 3 button fastners. The material would also extend over the door windows a suitable amount to prevent rain blowing in.
If anyone can advise of a suitable small over-centre stainless hook please please let me know.

Anyone wanting a tonneau please contact Guy directly to order and discuss fitting -The supplier is http://www.westcountrytrimmers.co.uk/ - At Bovey Tracey just to south west of Exeter. The man to speak to is Guy Broom 01 626 833722.

Dennis

Dennis Nicholas(RSSOC)

Dennis Nicholas
RSSOC Member

GTC Tonneau cover

Post by Dennis Nicholas » Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:18 am

Further progress on top cap design. I have found what appears to be suitable over centre draw latches to fix the cap to the hood fixing bit on the screen rail. Southco part number 97-50-110-15 at £20.37 a pair (black powder coated)( also available in stainless). A block of alloy about 1 inch wide X 18mm high and around 2.5 inches long will have the catch screwed to its underside so when latch engaged block end sits on hood ledge and abuts the front upright of the ledge.

Dennis

Dennis Nicholas(RSSOC)

Dennis Nicholas
RSSOC Member

GTC Tonneau cover

Post by Dennis Nicholas » Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:45 pm

Latest on Top Cap.
Prototype catches made for fixing cap to windscreen top rail. Alloy block abandoned in the end in favour of a wood block....close grained fairly hardwood....easier to work (and I happened to have a block lying around ......pitch pine I think). Here are photos of the item.
DSCF0880.JPG
DSCF0880.JPG (284.42 KiB) Viewed 424 times
DSCF0879.JPG
DSCF0879.JPG (185.73 KiB) Viewed 424 times
DSCF0877.JPG
DSCF0877.JPG (220.7 KiB) Viewed 424 times
DSCF0876.JPG
DSCF0876.JPG (269.53 KiB) Viewed 424 times
DSCF0875.JPG
DSCF0875.JPG (232.8 KiB) Viewed 424 times
DSCF0874.JPG
DSCF0874.JPG (245.63 KiB) Viewed 424 times
First picture showing alloy tongue and wood block finished to size (several holes in tongue due to earlier fitting attempts ...the rear most of each pair were the final ones) You will need to make tongue to suite your car's size ( may be difference between early and late GTC fitting on screen top rail..last photo shows my one - 1980/81. Amount of tension on leaver is controlled by how far block and tongue can be pulled forward. The upper part of the block can sit against the top of the windscreen top rail and be sanded till amount of tension is ok....OR the vertical cut away face just above the alloy tongue can sit against the hood fastening metalwork slot.
Note the tongue is shaped where it fits into the slot. The top surface is flat but the leading edge tapers downwards backwards on the underside and each side edge tapers outwards from top to bottom......you will see from your hood tongue fitting. The front leading edge of the tongue can also determine tension if it hits the back of the slot first. So a good bit of fiddly fettling to get it just right. This version is a 70 LBS max tension version but you fiddly fit to get a lower just right tension. :)
97-50-110-15 is the black powder coated......97-50-110-12 is stainless version
There is likely to be plastic "card" fixed on top of the wood and extending out forward over body above screen to take material forward. Fixing of flap over rear tonneau/wind-break gauze now expected to be by 2 or 3 turnbuckles along bottom edge of flap and below gauze.
Fitting of cap on my car due to take place 17th Apr.

Anyone interested in getting one for their GTC? (Guy gives very rough estimate of £150). Over-centre latches can be ordered on line from Southco direct....they have some in stock. Drawings of catch with dimensions are on their website. www.southco.com/97 They are in Worcester.

Dennis Nicholas(RSSOC)

Dennis Nicholas
RSSOC Member

GTC Tonneau cover

Post by Dennis Nicholas » Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:15 am

A quick update.
A few people expressed an interest in the tonneau cover/wind deflector and top cap. I now have the top cap in use. It just needs me to finish it off by fitting nylon tapes and buckles and hooks for fixing the corners to the wheel spokes instead of the temporary elasticated tape and small hooks pinched from an old car cover. The over-centre latch fittings were abandoned as Guy could not work out a good way of fitting material along the front to be rain proof in wind and instead fitted tapes and snap buckles that go round the wiper spindles. Nylon tape loops are fitted at each corner and two in middle of front so different ways of fixing to car can be used.
I will try and get some pictures up over the weekend with details. Top cap was £271 in the end, of which £110 was for the good quality material. It took a day starting from scratch to finalise and make it. It has proved very useful and easy to put on/remove with no body fastners needed.

Would those interested please let me know or call Guy at Westcountry trimers. A batch would obviously be easier. Guy has a roll of mesh so window size can be to your requirements...e.g. the Simms size.
Giddo has delay problems getting his pair due to blown head gaskets but will be having the larger window.

Dennis

Dennis Nicholas(RSSOC)

Return to “Se6/6a/6b/GTC”