GTC Tonneau cover

Moderators: scimjim, philhoward, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington, Lukeyboy46

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

GTC Tonneau cover

Post by Roger Pennington » Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:11 pm

I have seen a tonneau with canine provision - admittedly, a different kind of car, and a smaller dog! :lol:
IMG_0964.jpg
IMG_0964.jpg (138.77 KiB) Viewed 327 times

....Roger

RSSOC member (since 1982)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Condition can be bought at any time; Originality, once lost, is gone forever" - Doug Nye

Dennis Nicholas
RSSOC Member

GTC Tonneau cover

Post by Dennis Nicholas » Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:44 pm

Time is fast approaching for the visit to the GTC Tonneau man on the 4th Thursday of Jan.
One small snippet is that the mesh window on my car was that size because Guy just happened to have one off- cut that size left over at the time. I repeat however that you can't see the edges in the rear view mirror. He is sourcing a new roll so he is happy to do any size you want.

Top Cap.
I am trying to find time to design something (have horrible post festivities cold at moment so little enthusiasm). My first thought for the front is to use a flat bar of alloy with flat hinge in middle to allow folding in half for stowage, so no requirement to find a hood front rail. Two over-centre hooked latches would hook into the existing GTC hood sockets. The material would flap over the screen rail and round the sides to keep rain out. The cap would be shaped to go over side windows.........this upside down shallow bag should be a good fit so it is resistant to blowing up at the sides. Still thinking about rear but sounds like it will be velcro on the tonneau on top of the roll bar similar to the Bill Sims design.
The cap would stow on the folded hood.

Man with big dog.......how about a zip open hatch with waterproofing flaps on one side!!!!! unfortunately dog would not benefit from draft protection!

Dernnis

Dennis Nicholas(RSSOC)
1980 GTC Trafalgar Blue, 2010 basic Skoda Yeti (petrol), Austin 7s, Rileys.

Coastline
RSSOC Member

GTC Tonneau cover

Post by Coastline » Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:14 am

giddo wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:38 pm
Calling all GTC owners.

I am in discussion with a supplier of Tonneau covers for GTC, this Co has already supplied one identical to my preferred design, to a RSSOC member some years ago which continues to perform satisfactorily, see attached fotos. The fabric will be mohair, colour black. Budgetary price is expected to be £300 with delivery in January18
If there are any other members interested the supplier has said there would be a discount if he made a batch in one go. I am only asking for expressions of interest at this stage, no commitments.

DSCN2158.JPG
DSCN2156.JPG

Listening – out

Mike Giddens
member No 5332
mikeilex@btinternet.com

Looks to be a great idea so please add me to the list for one of these. I am thinking of the larger rear window with the clear plastic rather than a net. I would also be interested in the cost of the top cover if they are going to make these to.

Please let me know of any progress with the manufacturers.
Thanks

Dennis Nicholas
RSSOC Member

GTC Tonneau cover

Post by Dennis Nicholas » Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:22 pm

Dennis Nicholas wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:44 pm
Time is fast approaching for the visit to the GTC Tonneau man on the 4th Thursday of Jan.
One small snippet is that the mesh window on my car was that size because Guy just happened to have one off- cut that size left over at the time. I repeat however that you can't see the edges in the rear view mirror. He is sourcing a new roll so he is happy to do any size you want.

Top Cap.
I am trying to find time to design something (have horrible post festivities cold at moment so little enthusiasm). My first thought for the front is to use a flat bar of alloy with flat hinge in middle to allow folding in half for stowage, so no requirement to find a hood front rail. Two over-centre hooked latches would hook into the existing GTC hood sockets. The material would flap over the screen rail and round the sides to keep rain out. The cap would be shaped to go over side windows.........this upside down shallow bag should be a good fit so it is resistant to blowing up at the sides. Still thinking about rear but sounds like it will be velcro on the tonneau on top of the roll bar similar to the Bill Sims design.

Man with big dog.......how about a zip open hatch with waterproofing flaps on one side!!!!! unfortunately dog would not benefit from draft protection!

Dernnis
Further thought....due to the mesh "window" I believe this will require the top cap to have a flap that will cover this to keep rain out so the flap could have two button fasteners at the bottom and hence no requirement for velcro along top of tonneau over roll bar.

Dennis

Dennis Nicholas(RSSOC)

petermisy
RSSOC Member

GTC Tonneau cover

Post by petermisy » Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:05 pm

Dennis Nicholas wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:22 pm
Dennis Nicholas wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:44 pm

Top Cap.

Dernnis
Further thought....due to the mesh "window" I believe this will require the top cap to have a flap that will cover this to keep rain out so the flap could have two button fasteners at the bottom and hence no requirement for velcro along top of tonneau over roll bar.

Dennis
Are you suggesting no rear view while driving, Dennis, apart from door mirrors?

Peter

GTC Prototype XJW 247T
GTC No. 381 A381 GTC (was A24 EPB)
MGB GT 1971 EPE 838J (project)

2016 Ford Galaxy Titanium X 180bhp
Ford Transit Connect van
2016 Bailey Pegasus Verona Caravan

Dennis Nicholas
RSSOC Member

GTC Tonneau cover

Post by Dennis Nicholas » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:34 pm

NO. The top cap is only put on when car parked. The Tonneau is in place when driving to keep out draft and small amounts of rain, with the vertical part either up or down depending on the temperature. When the car is parked the top cap is put on in case of rain, so the flap would cover the mesh to prevent rain entry.
The hood performs the function of being the water proofing while driving.........thought that would all be obvious?

Dennis

Dennis Nicholas(RSSOC)

petermisy
RSSOC Member

GTC Tonneau cover

Post by petermisy » Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:54 pm

Dennis Nicholas wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:34 pm
NO. The top cap is only put on when car parked. The Tonneau is in place when driving to keep out draft and small amounts of rain, with the vertical part either up or down depending on the temperature. When the car is parked the top cap is put on in case of rain, so the flap would cover the mesh to prevent rain entry.
The hood performs the function of being the water proofing while driving.........thought that would all be obvious?

Dennis
Yes, obvious now you explain, but I drive with mine on.

The Tonneau is fitted and I use it as a wind deflector, if rain is imminent I simply put the top on which takes literally seconds, rather than removing the rear Tonneau and lifting the soft top. I can carry on driving or park up and leave it. I tend to use it at each end of the summer, seems much more convenient.

Peter

GTC Prototype XJW 247T
GTC No. 381 A381 GTC (was A24 EPB)
MGB GT 1971 EPE 838J (project)

2016 Ford Galaxy Titanium X 180bhp
Ford Transit Connect van
2016 Bailey Pegasus Verona Caravan

Return to “Se6/6a/6b/GTC”