Graham Walker Ltd

Personal recommendations from forum users for parts and services

Moderators: scimjim, philhoward, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington, Lukeyboy46, Terry Rickard

scmarf
RSSOC Member

Re: Graham Walker Ltd

Post by scmarf » Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:49 pm

Some ups and downs over the past 33 years but generally more ups. They were good enough to do a refund on my suspension units even though they had been fitted and removed (didn't like the height of the uprated springs).

Try and split my orders 50/50 with QRG as Nigel seems a good bloke also. Not infalible but always willing to advise. We need to keep all suppliers in business.

Honda Jazz
1977 SE6a, previously 1985 1300 SS1
Worlds longest coupe restoration
Chief mechanic for offspring's fleet (SE5a, Bond Equipe, Ford Focus)

Henry Royce: "The quality remains long after the price is forgotten"

Scimher

Post by Scimher » Sat Oct 13, 2012 1:52 am

jmh69w wrote:Can't say this wonderful experience is what I've experienced!!!
Last couple of times I've been treated like I'm phoning a new car dealership. First time I was told I've got a spurious gearbox (it's the original from the factory) second time couldn't do anything with a chassis number.
Have really gone down in my estimation - that's way I've voted with my wallet and found other suppliers
...I seem to remember Jim K. posting that Dan has left (& probably a bit more info. - hopefully, he'll pick this thread up..) so they are probably undergoing a bit of a 'transitionary' period............He was very good/knowledgeable & no doubt is much-missed & difficult to replace.

Gemini Bob
RIP

Post by Gemini Bob » Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:03 am

Sean is now dealing with parts enquiries but they are not picking emails up again, I sent one on 11/10/02 and have still not had a reply :(

Regards
Bob
HUE 1979 SE6a GTE Auto
If the cap fits wear it.
If at first you don't succeed, pay someone who knows what they are doing.
Scimitars Biggest Fan
Resto viewtopic.php?f=20&t=3377 Just for Geoff ;-)

Scimher

Post by Scimher » Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:07 am

GEMINI BOB wrote:Sean is now dealing with parts enquiries but they are not picking emails up again, I sent one on 11/10/02 and have still not had a reply :(
....Blimey, 10yrs.ago Bob........!!!! :shock:

Gemini Bob
RIP

Post by Gemini Bob » Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:02 am

:oops: I used the tardis to test them Terry :lol: I should have just said on Thursday :roll: :wink: I do have other issues on my mind though, cars eh :)

Regards
Bob
HUE 1979 SE6a GTE Auto
If the cap fits wear it.
Scimitars Biggest Fan

piers.morrell
RSSOC Member

Post by piers.morrell » Sat Oct 13, 2012 5:19 pm

Following getting the wrong parts sent to me twice and only obtaining a refund some time later after I had 'reminded' them by email - but not getting the return postage refunded, I am in no hurry to deal with them again. First time I rang about the wrong parts I got an 'Oh', the second time a fairly grumpy (my perception) 'right' and that was it. Not the level of service I have had previously from them.
It does seem now that whoever you order from the postage charge is way above what it actually cost!

Piers

1979 6a Auto

Corky
RSSOC Member

Post by Corky » Sat Oct 13, 2012 6:22 pm

The stock they carry is huge and diverse, I dread the day that they ever shut up shop or withdraw from supplying Scimitar parts.

OK, you can get a lot of the generic parts elsewhere (I am as guilty as the next man for doing this :oops: ). Sometimes cheaper ! However, unless there's been a misunderstanding or your ordered has been picked incorrectly, you will get a part that fits your Scimitar. Not a part from an A40 Farina that you heard on the grapevine would fit, but consequently doesn't. Or one from an MGB or TR6 that "should fit". Or a set of mini Metro brake discs for your SS1 that the eBay seller claimed would fit etc etc etc. :wink:

When I rebuilt my last GTC I was staggered by the availability of some pretty obscure parts, such as NOS door cards and rear cards, chrome window trims, hood parts, rubber gearstick gaiters etc. These are the kind of parts that QRG generally don't have.

We only have two proper suppliers left. Use them or lose them !

I'm not saying that some of you haven't had good service on occasion, but my experiences have been largely very positive.

Steve
Current:- SS1 Ti RG sprint car. VW Touareg 3.0 V6
Prev:- Sabre Ti, 3xSS1 Ti, SS1 16v Turbo Racer, 5XGTC, 2XSE6B, 2XSE5A, 2XV6 Coupe, Sabre 6
Project Threads & YouTube

“It's not the winning, it's the taking apart that counts"

70sicon

Post by 70sicon » Sat Oct 13, 2012 6:34 pm

Make your self aware of the Distant selling regulations, you can look it up on the web.
Anything ordered by phone or internet can be returned by you if done within 7 days.
They cannot charge you a re-stocking fee and can only charge you return postage if they inform you of it before the contract took place.
You dont even need a reason, it can be just because you have changed your mind.

Looked into this recently for work and its all biased toward the purchaser.

wolli101

Post by wolli101 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:12 pm

Hi there,
today I've found the following lines in a forum I run in Germany:

Hi,
Dan left the company last week, Matt & Graham are dealing with parts until Monday 24th September
For all parts inquires please call 01244 381777

Thanks Graham
UNQUOTE.

ok, Dan Bellis has left GW and the 24th September has long gone and who is dealing with parts now? Is GW out off business now?

BR
Wolfgang

scimjim
RSSOC Member

Post by scimjim » Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:48 pm

That information is also in this thread? GW has a new parts man (Sean) but Matt & Graham may also answer the phone while he's being trained up. Why do you ask if they are out of business?

Jim King

Current: SE5 (8Ball), TI SS1 (snotty), 1600 SS1 (G97), 1600 SS1 (C686CCR), 2.5TD SE5a (diesel 5a), 6 x random other SS1s.
Previous: SE5, 3 x SE5a, 2 x SE6a, 3 x SE6b, GTC, 2.9i GTC, 3 x 1600 SS1, 1300 SS1, Mk1 Ti Sabre, Mk1.5 CVH Sabre
Chief mechanic for: 1400 K series SS1 (Megan3), 1400 CVH EFi SS1 (Grawpy), Sabre/MX5 auto (The Flying Broomstick),
1300 SS1 (Number One) & Sarah's coupe.
CURE THE FAULT - NOT THE SYMPTOMS

wolli101

Post by wolli101 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:48 am

Sorry, I've just missunderstood the message. As I'm from Germany my English in not as good as it should be. For me it sounded like they are out of business after the 24th September. I've been at Graham Walker's a year ago and they really have been helpfull and very friendly and I just thought it would be a big loss if they quit.

Best regards
Wolfgang
Last edited by wolli101 on Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

dcw7095

Post by dcw7095 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:51 am

scimitarcars.org.uk wrote:When I rebuilt my last GTC I was staggered by the availability of some pretty obscure parts
Me too. I ordered a seal for the auto selector mechanism, and the guy on the phone said he hadn't seen one of those in years. On the computer it said that they had one single seal in stock and he came back 10 mins later saying he had found it in the original packaging on the shelf. Cost me a couple of quid and £0.75 postage. I have no cause to complain.

If anything I find QRG's prices more of a challenge to swallow though as has been said above Nigel is usually really helpful, and worth having around.

Dave Watson
'79 SE6a Auto

"To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster." Stirling Moss

wolli101

Post by wolli101 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:59 am

I've been at QRG as well and Nigel really is a nice guy. I like him and his workshop as well, even if he is a little bit more expensive. I've ordered the seals for my auto selector mechanism at a Ford supplier here in Germany, these guys have more than enough in stock...

Gemini Bob
RIP

Post by Gemini Bob » Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:51 am

Put some pics of the seal up please Wolfgang, it may well be that a few of us need them :wink:

Regards
Bob
HUE 1979 SE6a GTE Auto
If the cap fits wear it.
Scimitars Biggest Fan

wolli101

Post by wolli101 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:22 am

That will be a problem, because its already fitted to the box, which is fitted to the car. Take a look at www.motomobil.com, they've got a shop with pictures and the page is alvailabe in english as well

Return to “Recommended Suppliers”