Coupe in eBay ad for a fire engine!

Seen a Scimitar somewhere? Let them know and maybe make contact locally.

Moderators: scimjim, philhoward, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington, Lukeyboy46

DARK STAR
RSSOC Member

Post by DARK STAR » Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:53 am

Wood grain dash, très chic!
And no radio ...
Are they Triumph wheels?

Chris Johnson
RSSOC 1979> Dark Star Coupé 1989> Scimitar France 2010> Vert Soleil GTC 2014>
Scimitar France Website No1 on Google, updated nearly every day

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

Post by Roger Pennington » Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:55 am

Ah well, judging by that video, perhaps Bryan Mutch would be able to fill in some gaps! I've sent him a PM highlighting this thread :D

....Roger

RSSOC member (since 1982)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Condition can be bought at any time; Originality, once lost, is gone forever" - Doug Nye

dand

Post by dand » Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:55 pm

I hid the radio in the glove box to stop it getting stolen as was the fashion then! But a load of cars in our street were broken into (including the coupe) and the radio and a load of tapes were taken. They then dumped my tapes in next door's car so they obviously had no taste in music!

Wheels are MGB.

BryanM

Post by BryanM » Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:12 pm

Interesting to see my friend Roberts rally car was up for sale a couple of years ago.

We had some adventures, very hairy moments and accidents in it! He developed it into a quick car and I remember on the first big rally we did in it, the Galway International, chasing Geoff Crabtree's 911 down one long straight and Robert worked out afterwards from the revs he was pulling, we had been doing 122 mph which was fairly impressive for a Galway stage. We did finish the rally but not as well as we would have liked as we caught a works replica Imp on the second last stage but he spun on a blind left handed over a crest and we were so close we couldn't avoid him and ran straight into the front of him. We were able to reverse out of him and get to the finish, the Imp wasn't.

Now after all that time I find myself out playing in the ex Dick Sherwin long distance classic rally Coupe ( does anyone know if he is still about as would love to talk to him about the cars history) having bought it and fixed it 7 years ago but then put it into storage and never used it!

It will be coming on the market shortly once I get a few things done to it as it is in long distance spec., ideal for Rally of The Tests etc. or with the option to purchase a 'performance/special stage' engine and drive train . This is a John Wade engine I had in a GTE we owned, a Sierra Cosworth T5 gearbox and an LSD GTE axle with an low ratio (think 1959 Mk1 Jag).

There is a bit of video on YouTube of my son autotesting the GTE with the engine and box in it but just a standard ratio LSD. If interested just look under David Mutch.

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

Post by Roger Pennington » Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:40 pm

Hi Bryan, thanks for following-up on this, it's always good to hear more about the past adventures of these cars. If only cars could talk!

As regards Dick Sherwin, he's a member of our local noggin, though these days he's not a regular attendee - I think it's a couple of years at least (maybe a bit more) since I last saw him. I'll give Tony (our noggin organiser) a call to see if he's still in touch, and could sort something out. :)

Your son has achieved fame on here already! - for anyone who hasn't seen it, here's the video, it's well worth a look :D

....Roger

"Condition can be bought at any time; Originality, once lost, is gone forever" - Doug Nye

Scimher

Post by Scimher » Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:19 pm

MGB Rostyles?

....Confirmed on previous page! Must only have seen half the thread... :oops: :roll:
Last edited by Scimher on Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

Post by Roger Pennington » Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:11 am

Looks like SML500F is back on fleabay here

....Roger

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

Post by Roger Pennington » Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:17 am

It clearly had the webasto removed, (before becoming a competition car?) so there must have been some work on the roof?

....Roger

Return to “Scimitar Sightings”