Scimitar GTE but not as we know it

Seen a Scimitar somewhere? Let them know and maybe make contact locally.

Moderators: scimjim, philhoward, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington, Lukeyboy46

User avatar
DavePoole
RSSOC Member
Posts: 810
Joined: Sat Aug 12, 2006 9:53 pm
Location: Suffolk
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 20 times
Contact:

Scimitar GTE but not as we know it

Post by DavePoole » Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:26 pm

We spotted this nice car at a craft barn, which turned out to be a stop off point for Lowestoft Car Club rally. I went over to look at it and it had a 3 litre Essex engine, then after a closer look I realised it was a Scimitar chassis...

Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image

I actually like it and it was done very nicely :D

Dave Poole :D


Owner of website: www.sporting-reliants.com
Owner of 1969 Reliant Scimitar GTE SE5
Reliant Sabre and Scimitar Owners Club Archivist
Remember a Scimitar is for life, not just for Christmas...

Scimher
Posts: 3728
Joined: Tue May 31, 2011 11:22 am
Location: Cheddleton, Staffs.
Has thanked: 56 times
Been thanked: 66 times

Re: Scimitar GTE but not as we know it

Post by Scimher » Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:01 am

Must admit I like that one as well, Dave...................



User avatar
greeny
RSSOC Member
Posts: 5312
Joined: Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:25 pm
Location: Dukinfield Cheshire
Has thanked: 12 times
Been thanked: 110 times

Re: Scimitar GTE but not as we know it

Post by greeny » Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:20 am

One of the best looking conversions I have seen.


Babe the GTC number 229 and and Smurfett the 1400 SST. Ness the vw t4 van/dayvan/camper
Previous 3.0v6 X type jaguar triumph acclaim scimitar SE4A 663 (ex Collin Watson coupe) 2x se5a's 2x SS1 1600s and a load.of other things I can't remember!!!
GTC drivers doing it under canvas since 1981!!
RSSOC SCIMITAR GTC REGISTRAR
Website scimitargtc.co.uk
12601 14846 18/09/12

User avatar
siw1800
Posts: 294
Joined: Sat May 14, 2011 11:09 pm
Has thanked: 1 time

Re: Scimitar GTE but not as we know it

Post by siw1800 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:22 am

Did you get the chassis number for the registrar?


MGB - Gone
Daimler sp250 - Gone
SE5a - Gone
Sabre Turbo - Gone
Euro Box Estate - Gone
Rover 25 1.4IL - Gone
Company Astra Turbo Diesel Van (soon to go)
Peugeot 307 CC HDI
Mazda MX5 - When Mother replaces it!

User avatar
MikeyBikey
RSSOC Member
Posts: 5477
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:55 pm
Location: Sunny Falmouth. :)
Has thanked: 169 times
Been thanked: 87 times

Re: Scimitar GTE but not as we know it

Post by MikeyBikey » Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:33 am

That actually looks pretty good. I wonder if they do it as a kit....


Is we sideways yet...

gerryg
Posts: 24
Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:12 pm
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Scimitar GTE but not as we know it

Post by gerryg » Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:33 am

It's almost as if they've used a Ford Model 'T'' body, although with that windscreen and scuttle could be a hidden Lotus 7 type kit car body. The fenders, headlights, front end and the exterior sun-visor all suggest a Rodder.
I noticed no anti-roll bar?
It does make the exposed front end look 'less cluttered' (imo) although I was going to keep mine. My way of thinking there is that if Reliant designed the car to have an anti-roll bar, then I was none too keen to do away with it. If any of you with better knowledge than I say "chuck it" then there'll be a big smile on my face! (actually a massive one)

If it's ok with you Dave, I'll copy and post one of the pics on the NSRA site to see if they know any more about it.



User avatar
DavePoole
RSSOC Member
Posts: 810
Joined: Sat Aug 12, 2006 9:53 pm
Location: Suffolk
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 20 times
Contact:

Re: Scimitar GTE but not as we know it

Post by DavePoole » Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:40 am

I met the new owner, who hadn't had the car long and it was the previous owner who'd done the conversion. I had a brief chat with the owner just before he left and told him about the forum and said people would be happy to help him with any running problems as he had a slight overheating problem, so hopefully he will join the forum and say hi and show us more piccies of his new toy :D

I did look for the chassis number, but i couldn't find it :roll:

GerryG, you are welcome to post the pics on the NSRA website. As with all Scimitar hotrods/conversions/kits etc, we know that there are quite a few being converted/chopped etc, but I urge anyone to please let the club registrars know the chassis number/registration numbers to help keep their records up to date and fill in missing data etc. 8) 8) 8)

Many Thanks

Dave Poole :D


Owner of website: www.sporting-reliants.com
Owner of 1969 Reliant Scimitar GTE SE5
Reliant Sabre and Scimitar Owners Club Archivist
Remember a Scimitar is for life, not just for Christmas...

User avatar
philhoward
RSSOC Member
Posts: 23929
Joined: Tue Aug 29, 2006 5:41 pm
Location: Staffs, UK
Has thanked: 40 times
Been thanked: 515 times
Contact:

Re: Scimitar GTE but not as we know it

Post by philhoward » Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:48 am

With no ductwork (as per the GTE), I can imagine it might not be cooling as intended...he might be better swapping to a radiator to match the grille? or try a Capri one?


Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin
SS1 1600 Rooster Turbo; Sabre Mk1.5, Sabre Mk2
Previous: SE5/5a/SS1 No.1/SS1 Rooster/SS1 1800Ti/SE5a 24 Valve
http://www.ss1turbo.com
Never try and argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you based on experience.

User avatar
Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member
Posts: 19186
Joined: Tue Aug 29, 2006 9:43 pm
Has thanked: 109 times
Been thanked: 442 times

Re: Scimitar GTE but not as we know it

Post by Roger Pennington » Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:57 am

Dave, thanks for posting the pics, I think that's one of the best-looking gte conversions of that type that I've seen. It really looks the part. I'd noticed from your pics that the tax disc was issued in Co Durham in June, so guessed it had either changed hands, or the owner was well-travelled! :lol:
gerryg wrote: I noticed no anti-roll bar?
It does make the exposed front end look 'less cluttered' (imo) although I was going to keep mine. My way of thinking there is that if Reliant designed the car to have an anti-roll bar, then I was none too keen to do away with it. If any of you with better knowledge than I say "chuck it" then there'll be a big smile on my face! (actually a massive one)
Don't take this the wrong way, and I may be wrong, but I don't ever remember seeing a hot-rod being hurled through corners? Their competition endeavours seem mainly orientated around straight-line acceleration (drag strip) type of events? That being so, any lack of roll-stiffness is not going to be too much of an issue, I would have thought? So I think you need to look at it in the light of how you plan to drive it :)


....Roger

RSSOC member (since 1982)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Image

"Condition can be bought at any time; Originality, once lost, is gone forever" - Doug Nye

gerryg
Posts: 24
Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:12 pm
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Scimitar GTE but not as we know it

Post by gerryg » Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:01 am

DavePoole wrote:I met the new owner, who hadn't had the car long and it was the previous owner who'd done the conversion. I had a brief chat with the owner just before he left and told him about the forum and said people would be happy to help him with any running problems as he had a slight overheating problem, so hopefully he will join the forum and say hi and show us more piccies of his new toy :D

GerryG, you are welcome to post the pics on the NSRA website.


Dave Poole :D
Thanks Dave,
TBH I wondered if he'd just bought it as the car's now in the Lowestoft area/presuming local and registered way up North.

Re the overheating problem and his radiator. My own car came radiatorless, so that'll be another expense. As Phil has suggested, there's no reason why a Capri Rad shouldn't work or have one custom made to fit the grill.
I'm going to have a custom rad made to fit the Model B grill. My local Rad guy suggested a 4 core which he's made for other rodders and there's no problem (apparently) with overheating even without a fan. (I really ought to start a thread up re my own car).



User avatar
Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member
Posts: 19186
Joined: Tue Aug 29, 2006 9:43 pm
Has thanked: 109 times
Been thanked: 442 times

Re: Scimitar GTE but not as we know it

Post by Roger Pennington » Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:03 am

philhoward wrote:With no ductwork (as per the GTE), I can imagine it might not be cooling as intended...he might be better swapping to a radiator to match the grille? or try a Capri one?
Given the amount of engine bay ventilation/exhaust clearance that's been provided, it does tend to disprove the theories about the close confines of the Scimitar engine bay being a problem! :lol:


....Roger

RSSOC member (since 1982)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Image

"Condition can be bought at any time; Originality, once lost, is gone forever" - Doug Nye

gerryg
Posts: 24
Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:12 pm
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Scimitar GTE but not as we know it

Post by gerryg » Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:05 am

Roger Pennington wrote: Don't take this the wrong way, and I may be wrong, but I don't ever remember seeing a hot-rod being hurled through corners? Their competition endeavours seem mainly orientated around straight-line acceleration (drag strip) type of events? That being so, any lack of roll-stiffness is not going to be too much of an issue, I would have thought? So I think you need to look at it in the light of how you plan to drive it :)
To be honest Roger, Hot Rod's don't get hurled into corners !......Not taken the wrong way either, I value anyone's opinion and knowledge :-)

I now have a massive smile on my face, and also a pair of new drop link bars for a 1977 SE6a for sale!

Regards........Gerry



User avatar
DavePoole
RSSOC Member
Posts: 810
Joined: Sat Aug 12, 2006 9:53 pm
Location: Suffolk
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 20 times
Contact:

Re: Scimitar GTE but not as we know it

Post by DavePoole » Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:08 am

gerryg wrote:
DavePoole wrote:I met the new owner, who hadn't had the car long and it was the previous owner who'd done the conversion. I had a brief chat with the owner just before he left and told him about the forum and said people would be happy to help him with any running problems as he had a slight overheating problem, so hopefully he will join the forum and say hi and show us more piccies of his new toy :D

GerryG, you are welcome to post the pics on the NSRA website.


Dave Poole :D
Thanks Dave,
TBH I wondered if he'd just bought it as the car's now in the Lowestoft area/presuming local and registered way up North.

Re the overheating problem and his radiator. My own car came radiatorless, so that'll be another expense. As Phil has suggested, there's no reason why a Capri Rad shouldn't work or have one custom made to fit the grill.
I'm going to have a custom rad made to fit the Model B grill. My local Rad guy suggested a 4 core which he's made for other rodders and there's no problem (apparently) with overheating even without a fan. (I really ought to start a thread up re my own car).
Your welcome :)

Yes, you ought to start your own thread in the project progress section with lots of piccies please... :D :D :D :D


Owner of website: www.sporting-reliants.com
Owner of 1969 Reliant Scimitar GTE SE5
Reliant Sabre and Scimitar Owners Club Archivist
Remember a Scimitar is for life, not just for Christmas...

User avatar
Elizabeth's dad
RSSOC Member
Posts: 3155
Joined: Fri Sep 14, 2007 9:16 pm
Location: Sunderland
Has thanked: 48 times
Been thanked: 49 times

Re: Scimitar GTE but not as we know it

Post by Elizabeth's dad » Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:26 pm

I love that. It's not on the register, so chassis number would be good if anyone sees it again.


Jim

Membership No. 1779
SE5/5a Registrar

Carl_180980
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:59 pm

Scimitar GTE but not as we know it

Post by Carl_180980 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:29 pm

Hi, a friend of mine some how stumbled across this site and in particular this post and i know its from some time ago but my dad was the one that built this car, its not a kit or anything like that just my dad tinkering on in the garage. He’s done another one aswell similar to this one but a pickup version, i know this was last commented on back in 2013 was just nice to see one of my dads old projects still kicking about...



Post Reply

Return to “Scimitar Sightings”