New bod from Suffolk - Possible return to Scimitaring

For New Members to introduce themselves and their cars.

Moderators: scimjim, philhoward, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington, Lukeyboy46

Mr Fro

Post by Mr Fro » Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:35 am

Hello boys and girls!

I'm an ex-Scimitaree who is hankering after another one!

Bit of History:
I first bought a 1970 SE5 (KRX 154H) heap in glorious beige from a friend's parents in the late 90's when I was 17. I got it back on the road and had to sell it a couple of years later due to entering the real world of full time employment.

Roll on a year or so and I yearned for it back so I tracked it down and negotiated it's purchase. :-)

I used it as my main car for many years - I worked at several Halfords stores in/around SE London until I started working for a pharmaceutical company in Sandwich, Kent in 2006. Like most owners, I spent plenty of time and cash on it, rebuilt the engine, gearbox etc, fitted some lovely compomotive minilites etc etc.

I was again forced to sell it due to company relocation to Cambridge in 2011. I've thought about it many, many times since as it was a very reluctant sale.

I did see it on eBay a few years ago looking very sorry for itself - all the nice bits had gone and it was again a total shed. Unfortunately I didn't have anywhere to put it so passed it up.

Anyway, now I fancy another and have my eyes peeled for a fixer-upper. Either SE5 (as I prefer the interior) or even something SE4ish.

That's about where I'm at. Wife is not particularly keen on the idea but I've promised to get rid of a couple of bikes to make space and I *think* she's coming round. ;-)

I've been looking through some of the threads on here and am mightily impressed by what some people have done!

I've got some pics somewhere which I'll dig out at some point and maybe someone will recognise it.

Cheers,
Fro

Rev Light
RSSOC Member

Post by Rev Light » Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:46 am

Welcome. And good luck with the hunt.

SE5a 'Fancier'

philhoward
RSSOC Member

Post by philhoward » Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:00 pm

Welcome!
Mr Fro wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:35 am
That's about where I'm at. Wife is not particularly keen on the idea but I've promised to get rid of a couple of bikes to make space and I *think* she's coming round.
Sounds like a fair compromise to me - good luck!

Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin
SS1 1600 Rooster Turbo; Sabre Mk1.5, Sabre Mk2
Previous: SE5/5a/SS1 No.1/SS1 Rooster/SS1 1800Ti/SE5a 24 Valve
http://www.ss1turbo.com
Never try and argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you based on experience.

scimjim
RSSOC Member

Post by scimjim » Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:01 pm

Welcome :D

Jim King

Current: SE5 (8Ball), TI SS1 (snotty), 1600 SS1 (G97), 1600 SS1 (C686CCR), 2.5TD SE5a (diesel 5a), 6 x random other SS1s.
Previous: SE5, 3 x SE5a, 2 x SE6a, 3 x SE6b, GTC, 2.9i GTC, 3 x 1600 SS1, 1300 SS1, Mk1 Ti Sabre, Mk1.5 CVH Sabre
Chief mechanic for: 1400 K series SS1 (Megan3), 1400 CVH EFi SS1 (Grawpy), Sabre/MX5 auto (The Flying Broomstick),
1300 SS1 (Number One) & Sarah's coupe.
CURE THE FAULT - NOT THE SYMPTOMS

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

Post by Roger Pennington » Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:05 pm

Welcome to the forum and good luck with your search! :D

I've always had an insatiable curiosity, and I couldn't resist asking Mr Google if he knew your old car. I was surprised to find he did! It turned up in the Photostream of this guy on Flickr: The info says it was taken on January 18, 2012 - it looked very smart back then. :)

https://flic.kr/p/btdbkB

....Roger

RSSOC member (since 1982)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Condition can be bought at any time; Originality, once lost, is gone forever" - Doug Nye

Mr Fro

Post by Mr Fro » Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:52 pm

Roger Pennington wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:05 pm
Welcome to the forum and good luck with your search! :D

I've always had an insatiable curiosity, and I couldn't resist asking Mr Google if he knew your old car. I was surprised to find he did! It turned up in the Photostream of this guy on Flickr: The info says it was taken on January 18, 2012 - it looked very smart back then. :)

https://flic.kr/p/btdbkB

That's the one - not that long after I sold it.

I found the eBay listing: https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Reliant-Scimit ... 663.l10137 looking a bit worse for wear up in Manc.

Interestingly, there's a report from a "Scimitar club member" in there - anyone want to own up? ;-)

scimrick
RSSOC Member

Post by scimrick » Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:19 pm

Hi
Norfolk noggin Sec here.
You'd be very welcome to join us for a chat and review variou marque of Scimitar
Coincidentally our noggin meeting is tonight, and we do have folk from Suffolk and sometimes Essex who join us.
See noggin folder on the main forum page
regards
Richard

Return to “Introductions”