New SS1 1300 owner here!

For New Members to introduce themselves and their cars.

Moderators: scimjim, philhoward, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington, Lukeyboy46

tom01997

New SS1 1300 owner here!

Post by tom01997 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:27 pm

Hi all,

New here - Sutton Coldfield based, venturing out from the VW world of motoring into something a bit more British.

So on Sunday we had the pleasure of driving to Leeds to pick up our 1300, won on eBay by my dad a couple weeks back. Around 50k on the clock, not in concourse condition but seems to run nicely. I haven't been able to drive it myself just yet as we had a bit of a mess about with the insurance but all sorted now so I will take it for a spin this weekend. Here's a pic shortly after we got home;

If anybody is able to identify the paint code for this car please let me know - I think the sticker has gone walkies.

Dad used to work for a Ford dealer as a parts manager so knows the CVH motor inside out, but neither of us have any familiarity with the rest of the car - so i'm sure i'll be on here a lot asking questions. So far I have managed to put together the following list of things i'd like to sort over the next month or so.
  • Fuel leak - suspect lines - if anybody is able to tell me the internal diameter please, that would be great.
    Door locks tricky to operate
    Dad said it was making some funny noises from the rear on the way back, investigation required
    Front bumper & headlight panel poor fitment (headlights work fine with panel removed - looks to be a poor repair)
    Steering column shroud interferes with switchgear
    Ignition cut-off switch install
    Radio antenna missing
    Seats require new foam inserts
Not a short list, but we both enjoy tinkering anyway. Looking forward to ownership of a car built not so far from home!

To the moderator - please feel free to move this thread if you see fit.

Cheers, Tom.

MadMax

New SS1 1300 owner here!

Post by MadMax » Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:38 pm

I thought this photo looked familiar until I realised I saw it on instagram recently! Welcome 8)

Max Benton
Reading, Berks
'A HOT N' - Gold 1600 Small Sports
'Zeus' - Yellow Se5a

tom01997

New SS1 1300 owner here!

Post by tom01997 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:49 pm

Thankyou, yes i'm on instagram @tinytomothy
Not many SS1s on there!

philhoward
RSSOC Member

New SS1 1300 owner here!

Post by philhoward » Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:32 pm

Welcome!

That’s what Reliant called Istrian Blue - colour code is embedded in the VIN number.

Fuel lines are 8mm feed, 6mm return.

Creaking from the back could be a number of things - strut bushes/bolts, trailing arm bushes/bolts (normally dry rather than worn) or anti roll bar links or bushes. A bounce test and a piece of tube to use as a stethoscope will work wonders as any creak can echo round the rear end!

Panel fit wasn’t a strong point but there’s plenty of adjustments available :D

Seats probably need new diaphragms rather than foam?

Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin
SS1 1600 Rooster Turbo; Sabre Mk1.5, Sabre Mk2
Previous: SE5/5a/SS1 No.1/SS1 Rooster/SS1 1800Ti/SE5a 24 Valve
http://www.ss1turbo.com
Never try and argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you based on experience.

scimjim
RSSOC Member

New SS1 1300 owner here!

Post by scimjim » Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:38 pm

Welcome :D

Jim King

Current: SE5 (8Ball), TI SS1 (snotty), 1600 SS1 (G97), 1600 SS1 (C686CCR), 2.5TD SE5a (diesel 5a), 6 x random other SS1s.
Previous: SE5, 3 x SE5a, 2 x SE6a, 3 x SE6b, GTC, 2.9i GTC, 3 x 1600 SS1, 1300 SS1, Mk1 Ti Sabre, Mk1.5 CVH Sabre
Chief mechanic for: 1400 K series SS1 (Megan3), 1400 CVH EFi SS1 (Grawpy), Sabre/MX5 auto (The Flying Broomstick),
1300 SS1 (Number One) & Sarah's coupe.
CURE THE FAULT - NOT THE SYMPTOMS

peter freeman
RSSOC Member

New SS1 1300 owner here!

Post by peter freeman » Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:36 am

Creaking from the back could also be Spax shockers if they are fitted - that's why I don't buy them now. Welcome to the club.

Mikeincoleshill
RSSOC Member

New SS1 1300 owner here!

Post by Mikeincoleshill » Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:52 am

Welcome. Might see you around I am in Coleshill.

Rattling
RSSOC Member

New SS1 1300 owner here!

Post by Rattling » Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:17 am

Welcome that's a good colour!

Colin

1800 Ti

reliant-reviver
RSSOC Member

New SS1 1300 owner here!

Post by reliant-reviver » Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:24 am

Welcome Tom, and a good purchase you've made there. What you have is actually an very rare combination of SS1, being a 1300 with a factory galavnised chassis / single wiper tub, and in the best colour of Istrian blue.

Doors can be a great area of frustration on these, many hours of mucking about and adjustment. The operating rods inside the door will all be adjustable, however, word of warning when adjusting, don't close the doors, click the striker latch over with a screwdriver. Reason being is that if the rods are over adjusted, the handles will work great up untill the point where you lock it with the key, and then the internal latch mechanism gets stuck over.

The closest match I have found for paint is "Ford Crystal Blue" although there are a few different shades / years and I have had to combine it before for a better match.

Ta, Phil - fellow blue SS1 1300 owner
SS11047 DS032.jpg
SS11047 DS032.jpg (259.56 KiB) Viewed 947 times

Philip Andrew.
'74 Robin Super Saloon, '84 SS1 1300, '86 SS1 1800ti, '87 SS1 1300
Previous: I lost count around fifty.

scimjim
RSSOC Member

New SS1 1300 owner here!

Post by scimjim » Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:00 pm

Pretty sure Andy got Istrian blue without any problems when he sprayed the new wing for C902HLG?

Also galv single wiper 1300 (with 5 speed) - but converted from 1600 at buyers request :D

http://www.scimitarweb.co.uk/sgwrs/view ... 60#p380775

Jim King

Current: SE5 (8Ball), TI SS1 (snotty), 1600 SS1 (G97), 1600 SS1 (C686CCR), 2.5TD SE5a (diesel 5a), 6 x random other SS1s.
Previous: SE5, 3 x SE5a, 2 x SE6a, 3 x SE6b, GTC, 2.9i GTC, 3 x 1600 SS1, 1300 SS1, Mk1 Ti Sabre, Mk1.5 CVH Sabre
Chief mechanic for: 1400 K series SS1 (Megan3), 1400 CVH EFi SS1 (Grawpy), Sabre/MX5 auto (The Flying Broomstick),
1300 SS1 (Number One) & Sarah's coupe.
CURE THE FAULT - NOT THE SYMPTOMS

tom01997

New SS1 1300 owner here!

Post by tom01997 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:51 pm

Evening all,

Thankyou for all the welcomes and advice, much appreciated! Thought I would post an update now we have done some stuff.

Phil - Ford Crystal Blue is a perfect touch up for the time being, until the car is stripped down over winter. Thanks for the pointer. I haven't had chance to look at the doors yet but your warning will undoubtedly save a lot of time!
Peter - from looking I think the rear shocks are the originals so that could explain it. I will avoid spax if the need to replace arises, thankyou for the advice.

While I was away for the week, Dad had a fettle with the indicator and front bumper. It seems they have both been poorly repaired previously, and the bumper interferes with the headlight panel's fitment.
For now he has put some small coach bolts (the smooth head type) through the panel so that the headlights can correctly operate. We admit it isn't ideal but it does work.
I painted them Crystal Blue to try and hide them a bit, but ultimately we will be on the lookout for replacements I think.

He also picked up a replacement bonnet and an original rear view mirror - the finish on the fitted bonnet is poor, and the rear view mirror was a Halfrauds suction cup thing which kept falling off.

The front top suspension bushes want replacing as they have some play, with a knock to accompany. I can't see this being an overly difficult job as access is good.
We haven't had chance to investigate the rear knock yet, but it is on the to-do.

On Sunday we had the boot lining out to check the fuel lines - we found that the lines have already been replaced with the exception of the breather hose which had entirely rotted away, hence the fuel leak.
We found the chassis in incredibly good nick though. I added a lick of paint where the boot lining had rubbed the chassis, and thin sorbothane was put down to help prevent future rubbing.
Dad then fitted new lines while I fitted a new radio antenna. No more fuel smell, and some music too! He also managed to key the boot lock to the filler cap key, so now that works too.

On investigating the indicator switch issues, the whole switch ended up coming apart - but this wasn't a bad thing as the self cancelling mechanism now works, and nothing catches on the shroud either.
There is also a slight oil leak around the oil filler cap. I cleaned the area before taking it out for a spin but oil is definitely leaking around the cap.
I think this may be due to the cap itself as leaking oil sits on the lip around the rocker cover, so is above the rocker gasket which I first suspected to be the culprit.

Anyway this post ended up much longer than I planned but the TL;DR of it is - headlights work, no more fuel leak, indicators now work, got a rear view mirror, slight oil leak, suspension bushes needed.

Cheers, Tom.

Return to “Introductions”