New and looking...

For New Members to introduce themselves and their cars.

Moderators: scimjim, philhoward, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington, Lukeyboy46

Ken Davies
RSSOC Member

New and looking...

Post by Ken Davies » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:34 am

Hi,
The time has come to act on my admiration of the Scimitar and buy one. Bought the buyers guide, signed up to the forum and facebook page so the learning and hunting can begin! I don't change cars very often but have often thought how there must be useable classics out there and finding a fellow archer who drives an MGB GT as his daily transport set me thinking again, and back to the Scimitar desires... I'm drawn towards a 5a but I'm learning and could be swayed in other directions. I look forward to meeting local owners and finding about the practical side of ownership. My need for a good runner is not down to a lack of desire to get my hands dirty on a project but because my project is my '66 Sprite MkIII, currently spread across the floor of my garage. Thanks in advance for the help, support and good natured mockery I expect to get from this group :)
Ken

(Basingstoke)
Sprite.jpg
Sprite.jpg (148.6 KiB) Viewed 892 times

1975 SE5a JTF843P, 1966 AH Sprite mkIII in progress

Rev Light
RSSOC Member

New and looking...

Post by Rev Light » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:45 am

I would recommend looking up and attending the Berkshire Noggin.

I would also be aware that SE5's and 6's are actually surprisingly different, both in style/roominess and the way they drive.

Do not make the mistake of buying the wrong one, whichever one you decide is your preference, stick to it. Each have their own advantages and disadvantages.

I would also suggest that whatever you buy, you will have to give yourself a at least year to give it a jolly good shake down to identify and rid yourself of any niggles, etc.

But good luck in the hunt.

Steve

SE5a 'Fancier'

Rev Light
RSSOC Member

New and looking...

Post by Rev Light » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:51 am

Lovely little Sprite by the way.

Steve

SE5a 'Fancier'

ScimmyMike
RSSOC Member

New and looking...

Post by ScimmyMike » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:16 pm

Both SE5 & SE6 models are as good in their own way, SE5 more sporting model, SE6 more of a GT cruiser
And welcome, Berks noggin is a pretty good one I believe for some reason :roll:

SE4c rebuilding. SE5a similar it seems!
SAAB C900 2 door
Scimitar SE4 SE4c SE5 SE6b Austin A35

High Peak Noggin Secretary & general dogsbody

www.high peak noggin

If you can see the tree before you hit it that's understeer
if you only feel the tree as you hit it that's oversteer

Ken Davies
RSSOC Member

New and looking...

Post by Ken Davies » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:04 pm

Hi, the sportier characteristics of the earlier models is what attracts me though I'll have to balance that with the intent to use it as my main car. Does the more luxurious and more modern make up of the 6's make the later cars a better option? Scim_rebel has kindly offered to bring his 5 round and the Berkshire noggin is too close to ignore so I'm sure it won't be long...

The Sprite was my first car, sadly last taxed in 1983 so really looking forward to hearing her burble again.

1975 SE5a JTF843P, 1966 AH Sprite mkIII in progress

ScimiTom
RSSOC Member

New and looking...

Post by ScimiTom » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:53 pm

Ken Davies wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:04 pm
Does the more luxurious and more modern make up of the 6's make the later cars a better option?
I owned an SE6b for 18 months, with very comfortable black velour seats, then sold it and bought an SE5a. The thing that immediately struck me was how much more cramped and dated it felt inside (not to mention the lack of power steering!). Nearly 6 years on though, I still love the car and would never go back. The earlier comment about the sportier SE5 models and the 'cruiser' SE6 models is spot on.

Good luck with whatever you decide!

Current: 'Boffin' (1971 SE5a)
Previous: 'Sunshine' (1980 SE6b)

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

New and looking...

Post by Roger Pennington » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:07 pm

Hi Ken welcome to the forum and good luck with your search :D

I agree that as far as the Se5 and Se6 are concerned, they are both good cars, and I'd agree on the importance of ensuring that you choose the one which best suits your needs and preferences. The advice to visit your local noggin and have a look at some, and sample the differences, is certainly good. Bear in mind that there is not much difference in the overall layout and spec, the major difference is that the 6 is a bit longer and wider, which gives more legroom in the back, and more elbow room both front and back. The way I've always looked at it, is that you can enhance the sportiness of a 6, but you can't put the extra space into a 5. :)
The clues in the name, they're both Grand Touring Estates really, if you want a "sports car" I'd recommend the SS1 (but then I suspect the Sprite fills that niche in your life! :lol: ). I've put my money where my mouth is, in both respects! :lol:

....Roger

RSSOC member (since 1982)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Condition can be bought at any time; Originality, once lost, is gone forever" - Doug Nye

Ken Davies
RSSOC Member

New and looking...

Post by Ken Davies » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:04 pm

Roger, that’s a good point re enhancing the sportiness!
ScimmyMike, your sign off reminds me of the time my best mate tried to kill me with a tree and a Hillman Imp Sport. That was oversteer 😀

Return to “Introductions”