Hi Folks

For New Members to introduce themselves and their cars.

Moderators: scimjim, philhoward, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington, Lukeyboy46

MarkFoggy

Hi Folks

Post by MarkFoggy » Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:52 pm

Well I'm new here, but a serial participant on various Forums, where I generally behave.

Mostly Motorcycle base as I have serious form in the Endurance world, so hope that I can bring some different perspective to bear on some subjects and help people with some things to repay the help that I will inevitably need. :roll:

So, I've had a Scimitar before, but cash flow limited how much use that I could get out of it and a major relocation meant that it moved on to an interested party as a gift. Plan was to get it back again at some point, but too much time has passed and little feedback leads me to believe that the car never did much.

I'm now about to pull the trigger on what I believe is an honest 6A.

Curious car, lots of money spent on it in terms of servicing and general maintenance. Has recently acquired a new MOT. I expressed an interest with the current owner and he's keen for it to go to an enthusiastic home. Price is certainly right and it drives well enough.

So it's had a 5 speed gearbox fitted at some point. The rear dif whines for fun, like most do, but seems relatively oil tight and the oil pressure is fine.

Trouble is that I need to get 6 months of daily use out of it to make the deal worth doing. so I'm dithering whether to take the plunge.

My first proper look over it is screaming the usual, give it plugs, leads, cap, rotor and a coil, while I'm there. Junk the points and fit a halls effect to out the condensor. Clean and oil the K&N, throw a load of aerosol abuse through the carb and fit a decent inline fuel filter. Seems to have been converted to an electric Facom pump a few years ago, which is rubber mounted off the bottom of the car and has been fed a power feed direct from the battery via a switch on the centre console. Back flush the rad and the block, hoses seem fine and it has a decent manually controlled fan that seems to be effective. I think a set of stainless lines for the flex jonts in the brakes, plus new fluid will be high on the shopping list. I've got 20lt of Morris semi-synth kicking about so a filter is a good idea, got a load of hypo, so dif drain and something in the gearbox should happen.

I have a week of holiday due next month and can go right through the car.

I also have a rats nest to deal with, the bodging monkeys have been at the car and I feel lots of wiring needs looking at.

HELP. :lol:

peter freeman
RSSOC Member

Re: Hi Folks

Post by peter freeman » Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:00 pm

I did coloured wiring drawings for the cars some time ago Mark - easier to follow the cables in colour. Only six months daily use required !!! easy - I have had Scims only since 1983 - only once failed to get me home that's when a stone did for the rad. Drawings here :- https://www.scimitarweb.co.uk/~nenoggins/Wiring.htm
and welcome back to the Scim world.

MarkFoggy

Post by MarkFoggy » Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:02 pm

Thank you Matey,

Car has a High output Altenator, couple of years old. I've got a rats nest appearing in the engine bay. In front of the Battery there is a block of sorry looking solenoids in a direct drip feed from the nearside, front bonnet bonnet opening. There are a selection of blade fuses used in the consumer unit and at some point some monkey has bridged what looks like a solenoid point with some twisted up wire wrapped in tape. Crimp-ons are knocking around and at random and there are a couple of lengths of domestic 'Brown 13A' wired direct to the battery live. I see chocky block in a couple of places and the dreaded slice in. :shudders:

Passenger footwell fuse board though is looking ok. No damp and owner reports never a blown fuse.

Now, my first thought here is to get this sorted, It certainly doesn't look right.

I'm currently (pun intended) looking at finding a set of 7" shells that I can get some modern H7/4 bulbs into, idea is that I will grab some HID's to drop the current. Main beams may have to stay as Sealed beams just now, but some LED mini Oscars will be thigh on he list of things to do within a few months. I will replace every bulb on the car with and LED eqivalent for anything behind a lense, oh and I need a set of period looking Square driving/Fog lamps, preferably LED soon.

Oh and WTactualF is going on with some of the Earth straps in the engine bay?

I have a woven ribbon from the coil, going via an aluminium heat shield to an exhaust manifold bolt on one side that looks stable.

Somewhere under the Brake Master cylinder I have another woven ribbon. It hits another aluminium shield and then goes to the engine block. Whole thing is looking like a mushroom farm in miniature. Is this Earth for the instruments and switch gear on the column?

I dread to think what I'm going to see at the starter motor, is it trying to earth of those alloy plates?

:lol:

Oh, BTW I am a professional F*cktard when it comes to Electrickery.

I am willing to buy some terminal tools and do a complete rewire in these areas, using connectors like these.

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/3-Way-Componen ... 34.c0.m322

But I am a little out of by depth here,

What am I going to need to run all the relays needed on the car?

MarkFoggy

Post by MarkFoggy » Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:06 pm

Ummm, sorry, first set of posts. :Blush:

Maybe I should buy the car first and get into everybodies good books.

ronnie
Banned User

Post by ronnie » Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:15 pm

Love this intro......

We need more like this 10/10
Keep them posts coming Mark and hope you get that Scimitar

Oh and Peter's wiring diagramsare ACE. I've used them in all my builds another 10/10

rebel alliance

Post by rebel alliance » Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:21 pm

Nice language !

peter freeman
RSSOC Member

Post by peter freeman » Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:26 pm

I would add relays to the headlights ( keeping the power to the lights on a short wire therefore making them brighter ) and a relay to the rad fan otherwise the wiring can be as original without any problems. I would add fuses with the relays of course. You mentioned a electric fuel pump - I hope a inertia trip switch was fitted at the same time.

ronnie
Banned User

Post by ronnie » Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:35 pm

rebel alliance wrote:Nice language !

Don't frighten this new member off Rebel.
Be +ve

He's only just joined today and has already made 3 posts more than many.

Reading any post from a Scimitar member is better than no post at all.

AJL Electronics

Post by AJL Electronics » Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:48 pm

You can fit H4 bi-xenon HIDs into standard bowls, OR, straight fit LED H4 seem to be the modern alternative. I am quite impressed with them in mine.

Fan needs to be connected to the Otter switch in the lower part of the passenger side tank.

Earths are always the issue with electrics and as it is a non conductive body, you have to bond everything down.

Yes, we can mend your Scimitar!
Order your Scimitar parts any hour of the day at http://www.classicmicrocars.com (member's discounts).

Fancy a holiday in Gael, France? http://www.ianrhu.com

There is no point trying to teach a pig to sing. It doesn't work and it annoys the pig.

MarkFoggy

Post by MarkFoggy » Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:32 pm

rebel alliance wrote:Nice language !
Sorry, I don't believe I swore once, clense your filthy mind. But please be aware that £$%£%^tives may need lead you to switching off my posts. :D

I am afraid that I live in the real world, where things get frustrating and spanners get embedded in walls.

MarkFoggy

Post by MarkFoggy » Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:39 pm

Ok, I have some experience of fitting 'HID' to various projects..... I will happily bore anybody on my previous encounters with this subject.
So does a 6 come with sealed units for the 7" dip beams ac is obviously the case for the 6 1/4 main beams or am I free to pull the lamp units out of the front and fit whatever takes my fancy?

peter freeman
RSSOC Member

Post by peter freeman » Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:41 pm

My sealed beams have long since gone - halogen have been good enough for me - there after all four of them.

greeny
RSSOC Member

Post by greeny » Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:49 pm

Hello and welcome. Peter's wiring diagrams are brilliant.
It sounds like the car your looking at has had its share of "hamfisted repairs"

Babe the GTC number 229 and and Smurfett the 1400 SST. Ness the vw t4 van/dayvan/camper
Previous 3.0v6 X type jaguar triumph acclaim scimitar SE4A 663 (ex Collin Watson coupe) 2x se5a's 2x SS1 1600s and a load.of other things I can't remember!!!
GTC drivers doing it under canvas since 1981!!
RSSOC SCIMITAR GTC REGISTRAR
Website scimitargtc.co.uk
12601 14846 18/09/12

MarkFoggy

Post by MarkFoggy » Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:59 pm

Ok, Inertial trip switch and Otter switch start making me believe that the car has a switch built in somewhere, that will stop the fun when it's on it's roof.

Now, Guy's I'm in my 50's, so much as I like spirited driving, I'm thinking that I need to now about this. Mainly so that I an delete said item from the loom at some point.

Good safety feature, but in a 40 yr old wiring loom, something that can go wrong.

I am currently looking to make this bullet proof for A winter. this might actually accelerate my plans for a little purchase.

I know of a tiny box that might be transferable from Bike world to Car world. I need to get one for the bike project that I'm working on, but throwing it in this for a week or 12 months would simplify everything.

A whole new wiring loom would be a weekends work.

https://motogadget.com/shop/en/m-unit-d ... erung.html

Feel free to have a look at some random installation video on the U of tube. I quite an effective little box of tricks.

MarkFoggy

Post by MarkFoggy » Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:02 pm

Oh and thanks to the folk that have submitted replys, and apologies for some bad spelling. I am in a rush just now.

Return to “Introductions”