The Works Prototype Scimitar GTC

Old ads will stay here for a while before being kicked out forever after 6 months or so.

Moderators: scimjim, erikscimitardemon, Lukeyboy46, Roger Pennington, philhoward, Terry Rickard

kevincooper
RSSOC Member

Prototype GTC For Sale

Post by kevincooper » Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:35 pm

All

Unfortunately since the untimely death of Peter Misey, the family wanted to keep both of his GTC's, but now they to put one up for sale. The prototype is running and has been driven by the family since his passing earlier this year. They have contacted me to put the car up for sale as they want it to stay within the Club. They are looking for offers in the region of £10,000 and it is worth that all day long if not more. This is the car in the press launch and all the publicity brochures from Reliant.

Please contact with offers to Peters widow, Elaine who can be contacted on 01634 243024, if you have any technical questions, please contact me and I will try and answer them.

Many thanks for you interest.

Kind regards

Kevin

Kevin Cooper
Chairman
Insurance Valuations Officer
DVLA Liaison Officer
GTC
SE5a sprint car - Blue Dragon
SE5a waiting for restoration (Little Red Devil - Reg 666L)

nickb
RSSOC Member

Prototype GTC For Sale

Post by nickb » Sat Dec 22, 2018 4:17 pm

Dear Kevin
I have spoken to Elaine and and would greatly appreciate it if you have any information regarding the above GTC. I am just trying to get a feel of the car so I don't cause Elaine undue distress. I have never seen the car so have no knowledge of condition, history, specification (soft & hardtop?), mileage, mot etc.
I have recently joined the owners club and am looking for a Scimitar with which to actively participate.
Thank you very much and Kind regards
Nick Babbage

scimjim
RSSOC Member

Prototype GTC For Sale

Post by scimjim » Sat Dec 22, 2018 7:36 pm

Welcome to the forum Nick :D

Some history here - with a link to Dave Poole’s excellent site.

The XJW cars.

A few threads by Peter here, here, here and here

And some mentions from Roger here and here :D

Jim King

SECURE DRY STORAGE FOR YOUR SCIMITAR

Current: SE5 (8Ball), TI SS1 (snotty), 1600 SS1 (G97), 1600 SS1 (C686CCR), 2.5TD SE5a (diesel 5a), 6 x random other SS1s.
Previous: SE5, 3 x SE5a, 2 x SE6a, 3 x SE6b, GTC, 2.9i GTC, 3 x 1600 SS1, 1300 SS1, Mk1 Ti Sabre, Mk1.5 CVH Sabre
Chief mechanic for: 1400 K series SS1 (Megan3), 1400 CVH EFi SS1 (Grawpy), 1300 SS1 (Number One) & Sarah's coupe.
CURE THE FAULT - NOT THE SYMPTOMS

jasonbutterfield
RSSOC Member

Post by jasonbutterfield » Sat May 04, 2019 8:10 pm

My wife and I inherited two GTCs, after much discussion we have made the difficult decision to sell this works prototype, she has plenty of history and would be better suited to an enthusiast to love and care for more than we can.

This is a rare opportunity to purchase a piece of unique British automotive history.

This car was owned by my late father in law, having owned more than a few Scimitars over the years, he was quite the enthusiast. This car formed the focal point of his collection, given it’s unique nature and history. Unfortunately we are unable to keep all his cars, we simply don’t have the space or time to store and show them, it would be sacrilege to lock it away and possibly let it fall into a dilapidated state.

The History

In 1978, Reliant Managing Director, Ritchie Spencer asked Tom Karen from Ogle Design to redesign the Scimitar GTE and adapt it into a convertible. Ogle Design were also responsible for the Raleigh Chopper Bike, The Bond Bug, The Duple Dominant Coach and the Bush TR82 radio.

Tom Karen quickly came up with plans which involved cutting up a new Scimitar GTE (SE6) body shell and replacing the rear body work to include a boot and a lid. The existing chassis was strong enough and did not need any alterations, however the body work had to be reinforced in places to add rigidity. The roof was cut off and replaced with a T-bar section as per the Triumph Stag. Extra supports and stiffening structures were bonded around the A-post, beneath the doors and a reinforced bridge section was made to fit around the boot section. The hood was contracted out to Coventry Hood Company, who produced the GTC hoods from a high quality German Happieh material, which included a larger rear window and rear quarter light sections for extra visibility.

This is that prototype car, it was produced in 1978, and registered 11/05/1979 and was termed an SE8. It has had 4/5 previous owners and a very interesting history. It is the original works prototype numbered 001 out of around 452 manufactured.

The car spent the first two years of its life in the hands of the Reliant Motor Company, it went through various changes during its time at Reliant which included more body work reinforcements to help reduce scuttle shake and it went through various hood assessments. The biggest change was the engine. As Ford were phasing out the 3 litre Essex engine, they decided to fit Ford's new Cologne 2.8 litre engine. Although power wasn't affected, the torque was much less, so the original 3.33:1 axle was swapped for 3.54:1 to help compensate for this.

The car was later used by Tom Leake of Shropshire Star newspaper for a trip to Geneva and back before finally being purchased by motoring journalist Mike McCarthy of Classic and Sportscar magazine with 23,000 miles on the clock in May 1981. He wrote many articles on owning this GTC including one comparing the GTC with a Triumph Stag, in which it compared very well, and another concerning professional valeting, featured in Old Motor March 1982.

Mike McCarthy sold it to well known historic racing enthusiast Martin Morris, an interesting deal involving Martin's 3ltr Bentley going the other way. Martin used it for towing both his ERA and D-type Jaguar to race meetings all over Europe.

The car was then purchased in 2010 by a private individual who own it until July 2013 when my father in law purchased it. In his listing he wrote of thoroughly enjoying owning the car and during his ownership all in depth servicing had been carried out, including all the fluids, the brakes overhauled, new fuel pump and stainless steel manifolds.

This car was owned by my father in law for over 5 years, it’s been well looked after, being regularly serviced and maintained by our family mechanic. Over the years, he spend many hours researching this cars history and the life it shared with it’s owners. It was used in most of the publicity and advisements for the, at the time, new GTC.

Currant Status

The Champagne bodywork is generally in a good but not perfect condition, there are signs of fibre glass repairs and the paint work has been touched up in places, but in general is presentable for its age. The chocolate interior is again good for the its age, but some buttons are missing from the upholstery and is looking tired in some places. The roof is in very good condition having been replaced while my father in law owned the car, it also benefits from an included hard top.

It’s been looked over by our family mechanic, who as already mentioned, has serviced and maintained since my father in law purchased it in 2013. It has just had a new MOT, however given it’s age, it’ll very soon qualify for historic vehicle status. Although because it was built in 1978, I am trying to get change it class now.

Given this car is over 40 years old, it drivers very well with no real knocks or bangs, everything appears to work as it should and starts well, any inspection welcome.

It has 5 previous owners on the log book, the current owner being my wife, it had to be transferred into her name or insurance purposes.

If you require more information or have any questions, please give me a call or send me an email.

OIRO - £10,0000

Thank you for taking the time to read, Jason.
07764 499150 - jasonbutterfield@sky.com
No Canvassers

Payment by bank transfer before car is released.
Attachments
56BE00C7-E15A-4C4D-B84E-3A162C654EC6.jpeg
56BE00C7-E15A-4C4D-B84E-3A162C654EC6.jpeg (447.09 KiB) Viewed 674 times

Old and Slow
RSSOC Member

Post by Old and Slow » Sat May 04, 2019 8:19 pm

Nice, very nice.
Wish I had room in the garage alongside the Sabre Six.
Good luck with the sale.

Philip Needham
Ashley-bodied TR3; '54 Ford Consul; '55 AC 2-Litre Saloon;'65 850 Mini; '70 Ford Zodiac MkIV; XR3i
'81 911SC Targa, '64 Sabre Six

scimjim
RSSOC Member

Post by scimjim » Sat May 04, 2019 9:34 pm

Welcome Jason and good luck with the sale in unfortunate circumstances.

Just to confirm though, the prototype has a DPX chassis number and not #001 of the 442 built.

Jim King

Current: SE5 (8Ball), TI SS1 (snotty), 1600 SS1 (G97), 1600 SS1 (C686CCR), 2.5TD SE5a (diesel 5a), 6 x random other SS1s.
Previous: SE5, 3 x SE5a, 2 x SE6a, 3 x SE6b, GTC, 2.9i GTC, 3 x 1600 SS1, 1300 SS1, Mk1 Ti Sabre, Mk1.5 CVH Sabre
Chief mechanic for: 1400 K series SS1 (Megan3), 1400 CVH EFi SS1 (Grawpy), 1300 SS1 (Number One) & Sarah's coupe.

jasonbutterfield
RSSOC Member

Post by jasonbutterfield » Tue May 07, 2019 8:50 pm

Well that was a lot quicker than expected, sad day today as we said bye to Peter’s Prototype GTC. We couldn’t have wished for a nicer couple who appreciate the cars uniqueness and they have a long love of Scimitars. So glad to have found her a great home, hope they enjoy owning and showing her as much as Peter did.

scimjim
RSSOC Member

Post by scimjim » Tue May 07, 2019 9:52 pm

Excellent news.

Jim King

Return to “Removed For Sale and Ebay”