1979 Scimitar GTE SE6a FOR SALE

Old ads will stay here for a while before being kicked out forever after 6 months or so.

Moderators: scimjim, philhoward, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington, Lukeyboy46, Terry Rickard

dcw7095

Post by dcw7095 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:03 pm

My Scimitar GTE is for sale. The restoration thread relating to the car was posted on the forum here: viewtopic.php?t=8933

**** DEPOSIT TAKEN *****

Work commitments and another unfinished project mean that I am resigned to the fact that the GTE must go, even if I had firm plans to recommission it.

The car was bought as a rolling wreck and brought back to life over a period of two and a half years. I have invested over £10k in the restoration (most receipts are available). I used it for a single summer prior to having issues with the auto box. Mike Simpson kindly supplied a replacement and this was duly installed and run only for issues to recur. The only component common to both boxes was the torque convertor, which could well be the issue. I bought a manual gearbox off Geraint with the intent to fit that as part of a manual conversion. Car was last run on the public road in 2015 and has been on SORN since. We live on a private estate and so the car has been run around the estate up until about a year back.

Aside from the gearbox issue, it should not take much at all to get it back through an MoT. If I had a tow car and trailer I would consider doing this myself. The advisories last time were a minor exhaust leak and oil leak. As you will see from the videos attached, all lights function correctly and the engine is sweet.

Good Points:
  • Engine runs well and sounds great
  • New head gaskets fitted
  • New alloy timing gear fitted
  • Replacement alternator
  • Replacement coil
  • New battery fitted
  • New radiator
  • New silicon hoses and stainless pipes
  • New fuel tank and sender
  • Long branch manifold fitted
  • Interior completely retrimmed
  • Headlining replaced
  • Sunroof replaced
  • Various new / replacement window seals and trims
  • Rollover hoop chassis mounting plates replaced/repaired
  • Rear hatch plates and seal replaced
  • Brakes overhauled
  • Car partially rewired with additional relays
  • Car cosmetically restored and repainted in SEAT candy white
  • Modern rear lamp units fitted
  • Middlebridge alloys refurbished and fitted with new tyres (3 years ago) - Alloys will only be included if sensible price achieved otherwise I will refit wolfrace
  • Rear load cover - will be included if sensible price achieved

Bad Points:
  • Gearbox takes time to engage (but does engage!) and on the move slips between 2nd/3rd
  • Some micro-blistering on bodywork - worst on nearside front wing, rest of car is largely fine (car has been outside)
  • A machine polish required in a few areas to clear off sealant used prevent water ingress

Jobs Still to Do:
  • Mount interior fan blowers properly
  • Sort wiring on rev-counter (bad earth I think)
  • Sort interior lights
  • Wire up stereo (old unit in place, new speakers - never got around to fitting a modern unit in the glove box, which was the plan)
  • Tidy up / paint engine bay
There is upwards of £3000 in parts value in the car (£700 in parts from Graham Walkers, £600 from QRG, £2000+ from others). With a properly working box and a few minor things attended to, this is easily a £5k car which is currently insured for £7k. I would rather it was sold to an enthusiast. A lot of blood sweat and tears went into it so I don't want it broken up for parts via ebay. Note number plate is NOT included. The original is being reassigned.

Interested parties can contact me on 07889 804598, or send me a PM. The car is located between Crewe and Nantwich in Cheshire, just off J16 M6. Best offer around £2500 please.

If you are genuinely interested, you are welcome to arrange to come and see it. No time wasters please. As mentioned above, a few in the RSSOC will know the car already. Only constraint is I work away a lot and would want to be around during viewings. If there is no decent interest before the end of September, I will advertise it online. Car currently has no MOT so will require to be trailered.

Thanks, Dave.

Some Videos

Additional Pictures

Last edited by dcw7095 on Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dave Watson
'79 SE6a Auto

"To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster." Stirling Moss

scimjim
RSSOC Member

Post by scimjim » Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:31 pm

Videos embedded for you.

That's an absolute bargain and won't stick around for long if anyone is looking for a 6 that needs minor work.

Jim King

Current: SE5 (8Ball), TI SS1 (snotty), 1600 SS1 (G97), 1600 SS1 (C686CCR), 2.5TD SE5a (diesel 5a), 6 x random other SS1s.
Previous: SE5, 3 x SE5a, 2 x SE6a, 3 x SE6b, GTC, 2.9i GTC, 3 x 1600 SS1, 1300 SS1, Mk1 Ti Sabre, Mk1.5 CVH Sabre
Chief mechanic for: 1400 K series SS1 (Megan3), 1400 CVH EFi SS1 (Grawpy), Sabre/MX5 auto (The Flying Broomstick),
1300 SS1 (Number One) & Sarah's coupe.
CURE THE FAULT - NOT THE SYMPTOMS

Oxymoron
RSSOC Member

Post by Oxymoron » Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:48 pm

Love the blue leather interior! 8) 8)

1977 SE6a Manual Overdrive, Manual Steering and Windows!

dcw7095

Post by dcw7095 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:00 pm

scimjim wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:31 pm
Videos embedded for you.

That's an absolute bargain and won't stick around for long if anyone is looking for a 6 that needs minor work.
Thanks Jim. I could hold out for a lot more, however I have too many cars on the drive and at least one needs to go. I would rather that it was priced to sell and go to someone in the club that will put it back on the road again.

Dave Watson
'79 SE6a Auto

"To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster." Stirling Moss

dcw7095

Post by dcw7095 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:01 pm

Oxymoron wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:48 pm
In the interests of proper disclosure (!), it is actually leather-look vinyl.

Dave Watson
'79 SE6a Auto

Oxymoron
RSSOC Member

Post by Oxymoron » Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:08 pm

dcw7095 wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:01 pm
Oxymoron wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:48 pm
In the interests of proper disclosure (!), it is actually leather-look vinyl.
Still nice though!...The original leather seats were only leather facings only!

scimitargtc
RSSOC Member

Post by scimitargtc » Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:21 am

where did you source the rear lamps from? looks very inexpensive for what she is - interesting to see the roll over/seat belt mount repairs - am i correct that you did this from both the inside and outside/

Oxymoron
RSSOC Member

Post by Oxymoron » Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:18 pm

Did someone in the Club buy the car???

AJL Electronics

Post by AJL Electronics » Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:02 pm

Oxymoron wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:18 pm
I believe it has gone to a well known prominent member.

Yes, we can mend your Scimitar!
Order your Scimitar parts any hour of the day at http://www.classicmicrocars.com (member's discounts).

Fancy a holiday in Gael, France? http://www.ianrhu.com

There is no point trying to teach a pig to sing. It doesn't work and it annoys the pig.

Will Yarrow
RSSOC Member

Post by Will Yarrow » Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:36 pm

That was too cheap, I hope it wasn't divorce or the tax man. I have a decent auto box at "make me an offer" prices, for the new owner, I need the garage space.

dcw7095

Post by dcw7095 » Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:18 am

Oxymoron wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:18 pm
It is going to a good home. Sad to see it go but need the space and have had to accept that I am not going to get the time to work on it. Didn't want it sat on the drive over winter again, and I do want it to go to a club member that will promise to put it back on the road - hence the price.

Dave Watson
'79 SE6a Auto

dcw7095

Post by dcw7095 » Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:19 am

scimitargtc wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:21 am
where did you source the rear lamps from? looks very inexpensive for what she is - interesting to see the roll over/seat belt mount repairs - am i correct that you did this from both the inside and outside/
Yes, rollover hoop was repaired using new plates from the inside and out.

The rear lamp clusters are the infamous Romanian trailer lamps that have been discussed on here on occasions before.

Dave Watson
'79 SE6a Auto

Return to “Removed For Sale and Ebay”