1972 Scimitar 5a manual overdrive

Old ads will stay here for a while before being kicked out forever after 6 months.

Moderators: scimjim, Roger Pennington, Lukeyboy46, philhoward, erikscimitardemon, Terry Rickard

philynnbob
RSSOC Member

Post by philynnbob » Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:01 pm

IMG_3406.JPG
IMG_3406.JPG (263.45 KiB) Viewed 1000 times
IMG_3432.JPG
IMG_3432.JPG (253.61 KiB) Viewed 1000 times
IMG_3444.JPG
IMG_3444.JPG (459.01 KiB) Viewed 1000 times
IMG_3445.JPG
IMG_3445.JPG (474.02 KiB) Viewed 1000 times
IMG_3450.JPG
IMG_3450.JPG (360.73 KiB) Viewed 1000 times
£5,750
For Sale
1972 Scimitar 5a Manual with overdrive. Tax exemption applies .Towbar fitted with fully working electrics.
New MOT this week.MOT runs out on-9th August 2018
(2 small advisory damp oil patch on gearbox and diff,neither enough to drip to floor)
This Scimitar has been my daily drive for last few years. It is in very good condition and drives faultlessly.
Please study the pictures as they form a lot of the description.
It has a stage 2 Essex engine of 3.1 litres.
I can guarantee that the engine has plus 60 thou pistons.
It has a steel timing gear fitted.
Excellent oil pressure,plenty of torque.
The 38 Dgas carburettor is only a few years old.
KN air filter recent cleaned and recharged.
Tubular manifolds and complete stainless steel exhaust system.
The distributor is a Burton power reconditioned unit of only a month old.
Has an hi torque starter motor fitted.
Stainless steel Flexi oil pipe.
Cooling system in excellent condition and I have never had any overheating problems.
Gearbox and overdrive perform beautifully with smooth overdrive engagement and disengagement.
It is the preferred two rod box which has Rose jointed ends.
Rear axle was completely stripped and refurbished last year with all bearings, thrust washers and seals replaced with new quality items. Quiet and smooth operation.
Brakes in excellent condition,front calipiers are Bigg Red reconditioned units a few years old.Girling stainless steel flexi brake hoses.
Chassis is in excellent condition . ( MOT examiner raved about how good the chassis was)
Bodywork is very smart with only a few blemishes ( as shown in pictures) however near the drivers door handle a scrape has been repaired and resprayed in a slightly
different shade of paint. ( been honest)
Also chip out of o/s/r vent ( see picture)
Small crack on o/s/f wing ( see picture)
The car was resprayed 15 years ago in its present Rover Night Fire red and was a showcar only for many years, then for a personal reason locked away in a garage for many years. When I then bought the car I gave it a total recommissioning.
I have had many positive compliments at shows and in general at how lovely the colour suits the car.Have been told several times by people at shows that it is the nicest Scimitar they have ever seen.
Stainless steel fuel tank,has an inline solid state fuel pump fitted, used to prime the engine prior to starting after been stood. Giving fast starting,rather than turning engine over for the mechanical fuel pump to have pull the fuel through.
All five wheels are wolfrace alloys with stainless steel wheel nuts fitted.
Tyres still have plenty of life in them. ( however spare wheel has a very slow puncture)
Has a modern blade type fuse box fitted
Car does not have the footwell air blowers fitted ( however these can be supplied with the car if required) instead in drivers footwell( in air blower position ) a Audi soft top rear window demister blower motor is fitted supplying car heater for quicker screen clearing. In the passenger footwell position I have fitted a inline bilge pump for clearing hot air from the top of the engine bay. KN filters do not like restarting with hot air around them I found last year when I took the car to Le Mans Classic 24 hour and got caught ( again!) in a four hour traffic jam in 30 degree ambient temperature that although cooling system operated perfectly with no overheating problems. The car would take a while to restart due to the collection of hot air around the KN air filter.
A chap called Mike Carr on the Scimitar forum site had come up with this solution for owners running the KN filter by using an inline bilge pump to remove this hot air from air filter area. It is at present venting the hot air from engine bay through the floor inside wing void. I was going to fit an air vent on bottom of wing connecting the three inch pipe. However have not yet done this but new owner may decide to do so. Very easy job to complete.
Incidentally the car completed 1550 miles in five days on this Le Mans trip driving faultlessly. (The above hot air around air filter problem only issue)
I have driven to Barnstaple form Aberystwyth (500 mile round trip) many times over the last few years to visit my family in this car, always faultlessly. And what great fun on the welsh B roads!!
Interior ok but could be an place of improvement to bring car up to a better standard.
Have fitted new rear window seals in last two years, however back carpets can still get damp/ wet when car left parked on a slope!
Comes with rare luggage cover.
Rear wiper in place but requires a new wiper box. ( motor fine)Stainless steel parking area for said wiper.
Front wiper motor new unit 12 months ago.
Sure I have missed stuff,however very happy to answer any questions ( by PM /email please) or to take any other requested pictures.
Please note this car is 45 years old and respray 15 years old. There are the odd stone chip/ blemish as you would expect with a car used daily.
drivers 1/4 light window top pivot broken think I have a good one will check.drivers door inside door handle half the black surroundings missing. Please messag for more info pictures.
Thank you Phil
Car located near Aberystwyth
Last edited by philynnbob on Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

philynnbob
RSSOC Member

Post by philynnbob » Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:06 pm

More pictures
IMG_3467.JPG
IMG_3467.JPG (455.15 KiB) Viewed 995 times
IMG_3463.JPG
IMG_3463.JPG (419.69 KiB) Viewed 995 times
IMG_3459.JPG
IMG_3459.JPG (333.32 KiB) Viewed 995 times
IMG_3456.JPG
IMG_3456.JPG (325.53 KiB) Viewed 995 times
IMG_3454.JPG
IMG_3454.JPG (413.46 KiB) Viewed 995 times

scimjim
RSSOC Member

Post by scimjim » Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:47 pm

Great looking car and great price :D

Jim King

Current: SE5 (8Ball), TI SS1 (snotty), 1600 SS1 (G97), 1600 SS1 (C686CCR), 2.5TD SE5a (diesel 5a), 6 x random other SS1s.
Previous: SE5, 3 x SE5a, 2 x SE6a, 3 x SE6b, GTC, 2.9i GTC, 3 x 1600 SS1, 1300 SS1, Mk1 Ti Sabre, Mk1.5 CVH Sabre
Chief mechanic for: 1400 K series SS1 (Megan3), 1400 CVH EFi SS1 (Grawpy), Sabre/MX5 auto (The Flying Broomstick),
1300 SS1 (Number One) & Sarah's coupe.
CURE THE FAULT - NOT THE SYMPTOMS

philynnbob
RSSOC Member

Post by philynnbob » Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:42 pm

Advert now withdrawn until V5 updated 😀

philynnbob
RSSOC Member

Post by philynnbob » Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:59 pm

V5 updated and car now sold. So could admin please remove thread.
Thank you Phil

Return to “Removed For Sale and Ebay”