1969 SE5 Alfa V6 conversion: My LSD trip.

If you have a long-term project and would like to share/document progress, this is for you.

Moderators: scimjim, Roger Pennington, Lukeyboy46, philhoward, erikscimitardemon

fightingtorque

Post by fightingtorque » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:06 am

Thanks Jim. Looking at that manual it seems the "standard" is normally 0.007" (0.18mm), which seems reasonable, and then elsewhere in the manual it shows how to interpret the contact patch found using engineers' blue.
backlash.JPG
backlash.JPG (37.8 KiB) Viewed 184 times

GavinR
RSSOC Member

Post by GavinR » Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:38 pm

Hi,

The preload on the differential case bearings is achieved by fitting shims under the bearings to give the required preload
(I think the IRS units achieve preload by attaching the output shafts to the diff casing so don't need these shims)

Once you have the correct preload, you can then swap shims side to side to adjust the backlash, keeping the same total shims - make sure the pinion is at the correct depth first though

It usually takes a while and a few attempts to get it right - you also need a decent puller / press to get the bearings off and on!
I've seen 8-10 thou backlash in other manuals so it doesn't need to be exactly 7 thou

Thanks

GavinR
RSSOC Member 3513
1971 SE5a

Return to “Project Progress”