GavinR's Se5a Project

If you have a long-term project and would like to share/document progress, this is for you.

Moderators: scimjim, philhoward, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington, Lukeyboy46

Chgperformance

Re: GavinR's Se5a Project

Post by Chgperformance » Tue May 20, 2014 3:33 pm

Ah cool :)

scimjim
RSSOC Member

Post by scimjim » Tue May 20, 2014 3:41 pm

I took some photos of Gavin's body plate at the noggin as I've never seen that type on a GTE before!

Jim King

Current: SE5 (8Ball), TI SS1 (snotty), 1600 SS1 (G97), 1600 SS1 (C686CCR), 2.5TD SE5a (diesel 5a), 6 x random other SS1s.
Previous: SE5, 3 x SE5a, 2 x SE6a, 3 x SE6b, GTC, 2.9i GTC, 3 x 1600 SS1, 1300 SS1, Mk1 Ti Sabre, Mk1.5 CVH Sabre
Chief mechanic for: 1400 K series SS1 (Megan3), 1400 CVH EFi SS1 (Grawpy), Sabre/MX5 auto (The Flying Broomstick),
1300 SS1 (Number One) & Sarah's coupe.
CURE THE FAULT - NOT THE SYMPTOMS

Chgperformance

Post by Chgperformance » Tue May 20, 2014 4:17 pm

That's what I thought Jim. Both my 5a's here have plain aluminium plates with numbers on. Now we all know reliant manufactured for other people. I always believed these plates were for something else. If that is the case, why did this reliant dealer have them in stock when we bought their stock out?

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

Post by Roger Pennington » Tue May 20, 2014 4:51 pm

The explanation I heard (though I can't remember from whom) was that the main number was simply the numerical sequence number of the body (i.e. body number 2,397 or whatever), and the other number was the mould number (as there was more than one mould on the go at any one time, and each mould only gives a finite number of bodies). AFAIK there's no relationship to anything which involved the actual build of an individual car, like trim, paint, detail spec and so on.

....Roger

RSSOC member (since 1982)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Condition can be bought at any time; Originality, once lost, is gone forever" - Doug Nye

scimjim
RSSOC Member

Post by scimjim » Tue May 20, 2014 7:26 pm

I added a column to the database when I created it (it was that long ago that it was backed up on 3.5" floppy discs!) and recorded some - but never had enough data to make a solid hypothesis.

Jim King

Current: SE5 (8Ball), TI SS1 (snotty), 1600 SS1 (G97), 1600 SS1 (C686CCR), 2.5TD SE5a (diesel 5a), 6 x random other SS1s.
Previous: SE5, 3 x SE5a, 2 x SE6a, 3 x SE6b, GTC, 2.9i GTC, 3 x 1600 SS1, 1300 SS1, Mk1 Ti Sabre, Mk1.5 CVH Sabre
Chief mechanic for: 1400 K series SS1 (Megan3), 1400 CVH EFi SS1 (Grawpy), Sabre/MX5 auto (The Flying Broomstick),
1300 SS1 (Number One) & Sarah's coupe.
CURE THE FAULT - NOT THE SYMPTOMS

GavinR
RSSOC Member

Post by GavinR » Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:05 pm

Back to the painting...

More sanding

Lots of filler and many hours sanding I was happy enough, then complete disaster when I put the first coat of cellulose primer on as it reacted with one of the previous coats of paint. The roof was fine as I'd gone back through the previous coats but on the front, sides, doors, bonnet, etc, where I had only sanded the bads bits, there was lots of crazing in the primer. I don't have time to start again, so after reading about similar problems on the internet, I went to Halfords and bought 5 x 500ml aerosols of their grey primer (which is acrylic so seems to cover anything) and used up 4 of them to cover the crazing, which worked but obviously the crazing can be seen through the halfords primer

4 top coats of Radiant Red, some bits have come out shinier than others (it was difficult to see while spraying, I could have done with an extraction fan or two!)

Crazing effect

Did the headlight surrounds and bonnet as well

Just got to bolt everything back on ready for Saturday's rally...

GavinR
RSSOC Member 3513
1971 SE5a

MikeyBikey
RSSOC Member

Post by MikeyBikey » Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:46 pm

What a bugger . All the best for sat though.

Is we sideways yet...

Scimher

Post by Scimher » Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:22 pm

...Yes, best wishes from me as well for Saturday....(Hope you didn't breathe in too much of that paint...)

GavinR
RSSOC Member

Post by GavinR » Wed Jun 25, 2014 2:20 pm

East Anglian Classic 21st June 2014

I had a few days off, finished refitting the Scimitar and changed all the coolant hoses to silicon ones (and filled with Evans Waterless Coolant) before picking George up on Friday lunchtime for the long drive to Norfolk, arriving just before scrutineering opened. There were 45 cars entered this year and we were running car 5 after finishing 3rd last year

The event started with a long regularity out of the start to take us over to the first test venue. We'd set the trip against the measured mile, but it was under reading a fraction on the regularity section so we were early at the first 3 controls, then got held up following a local which made us late into the 4th control, so not a good start

The first 4 tests were at a farm last used 2 years ago and I remembered it being quite rough, but the tracks had been regraded since then and it was good this year. There were 2 tests run twice, and they all went well, we were equal quickest on one run and in the top 5 on the others

Back out on the roads for the second regularity, I asked George to adjust the trip slightly to try and make it more accurate, but I went the wrong way and we were still early at the next control. George adjusted it the other way and it was a lot better after that, we got to the next control spot on time and the next 2 we were very close. This took us to 6 tests at Thorpe Abbotts airfield, 3 layouts run twice, the first just cones on a concrete runway but the other 2 more interesting around the perimeter track on a mixture of gravel and broken concrete. We struggled on the first layout, only managing 10th quickest each time, but the first run of the second layout we were fastest by 5s as a lot of crews went the wrong side of a cone and got a 10s penalty. On the other runs we were 5th or 6th, definitely closer to the top crews than last year

The lunch halt was also here and we sat out on the grass chatting to the other crews in the sunshine. At this stage we were 6th and the only worry I had with the Scimitar was the steering wheel moving up and down a little. This was traced to the bottom u/j sliding on the pinion splines so I did the pinch bolt up even tighter which helped a little. I'd fitted a new Rally Design forged coupling during the week as the original one had a bit of play in the u/j, but it's not a tight enough fit on the splines, hence the movement - I'll have to buy a proper one for the next event

After lunch there were 3 regularities in a row which sounds bad but the middle one was off road round an airfield so a different challenge to the normal ones. The first one went well, only dropping a few seconds here and there except for the final control where everyone was slightly late. The airfield regularity worked very well - we had a series of tulips defining the route of roughly 3 laps but slightly different each time - each tulip had a time beside it and we were managing to average 30mph without too much trouble although we were confused by the location of the final time control and arrived 18s early (most other crews had a similar problem). The 3rd regularity was ok, a bit early everywhere but no mistakes from George - I turned up a side road that turned out to be a farm track but George reversed the trip while I reversed out and we got back on time without any problems

The next 4 final tests were back at Thorpe Abbotts, similar to the morning tests but run in the reverse direction with the 2 gravelly ones run as one long test, all done twice again. I was trying hard on these and on the second run through the longer one we started 30s behind a Triumph 2000 and managed to catch him at the finish, not bad on a 3 minute test

The final regularity was plot and bash, made slightly harder this year by giving the navigation at each control rather than all of it at the first control. First section George got down quickly and we were just 1s out at the control. The second section was a 'herringbone' type of navigation which George is not that keen on - she couldn't make it work all the way, so we stopped briefly and I couldn't make it work either, but we had the first few miles on the map so continued driving while trying to work it out. Finally we realised what we had done wrong but all this meant we were 26s late. The 3rd section worked better, only a few seconds early here at the final control

At the finish we handed our paperwork in and had a buffet dinner while waiting for the results................

When the results were first published we were surprised to be 1st overall - we'd had a good day, but not an amazing day so didn't expect to be leading.
There were some discussions / queries about a particular reference in the first part of the plot and bash navigation - 8 crews (including us) had got it right and 35 crews had got it wrong, driving a shorter distance and arriving roughly 60s early

The queries were rejected and the results went provisional (signed by the Clerk of the Course), but the crew who were lying in 2nd put in a formal appeal to the event stewards, paid the appeal fee of £50, the basis of the appeal being the inclusion of that reference which they claimed they did not understand (it was one map reference in a list of other numbers - the reference was bracketed () which means, to some of us anyway, to 'avoid' going through it) and as it had not been explained, this contravened a Blue Book Regulation which states competitors must be given all the information to work out the correct route.
They also relied upon the fact that the HRCR navigation training handbook did not reference this particular style of navigation - even though the handbook is designed for novices and events are only recommended to conform to the examples provided...

The stewards held a hearing with the crew in question and allowed their appeal :(

So after we had been 1st overall for an hour or so, new provisional results were published with us 5th overall. Ironically, the crew in 2nd were still in 2nd, with the 3rd placed crew moving up to 1st, having gained more by the penalties being scrubbed for that one section

The silly thing is, if we'd been 5th at the finish we'd have been happy, but to be 1st and then be demoted to 5th through no fault of our own (and with what seemed like a very weak basis for an appeal IMHO)..... To say we were disappointed would be an understatement

Positive things to come out of the day - the Scimitar looks better in the pics after my dodgy paint job, and our speeds on the Tests were a good improvement over last year - we were 4th quickest on Test Times, instead of 8th last year

Thanks to George for a great job all round, to the organisers, marshals and everyone who helped put the event on, it was a great pity it ended how it did.

Pic from Andy Manston - there's a cone just out of sight on the left and George is pointing to the next one!

GavinR
RSSOC Member 3513
1971 SE5a

b.c.flat hat
RSSOC Member

Post by b.c.flat hat » Wed Jun 25, 2014 5:12 pm

Well done you two! Great achievement!
Congrats from the Racy Red Bakery Truck pilot.

DarrylWebb

Post by DarrylWebb » Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:41 pm

Smashing photo.

Scimega: Project X30XE Pro-Touring Scimitar

philhoward
RSSOC Member

Post by philhoward » Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:59 pm

Well done both!

Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin
SS1 1600 Rooster Turbo; Sabre Mk1.5, Sabre Mk2
Previous: SE5/5a/SS1 No.1/SS1 Rooster/SS1 1800Ti/SE5a 24 Valve
http://www.ss1turbo.com
Never try and argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you based on experience.

MikeyBikey
RSSOC Member

Post by MikeyBikey » Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:27 pm

Fantastic stuff Gavin. I saw that short clip of you on the welsh rally and you are obviously a smooth driver.

Great picture.

Tough about the result. I agree to do the hard work to gain 1st is fantastic and then to have it pulled through no fault of yours.. galling.
especially after you pay good money to attend and enter... etc

Is we sideways yet...

Coco La Blanc

Post by Coco La Blanc » Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:40 pm

Gavin/George,
Well Done you two, that is/was an excellent result !!! Seriously though - did you not see the wadge of cash being handed over ? :bh :dh :hand:

Regards,
Viv

PS. Good Luck for next Year !!!

SuperSwinka45

Re:

Post by SuperSwinka45 » Sun Jun 29, 2014 3:36 pm

Thank you very much for that topic. It is very informative and useful for me. BTW. Hello to everyone I am new here and it is my first post.

Return to “Project Progress”