'74 SE5a rolling resto

If you have a long-term project and would like to share/document progress, this is for you.

Moderators: scimjim, philhoward, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington, Lukeyboy46

Taggers

Re: '74 SE5a rolling resto

Post by Taggers » Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:36 pm

MGB ones are 6a onwards

Fer enough then.

1979 SE6A

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

Post by Roger Pennington » Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:43 pm

For reference This Mail in MikeT's Resto thread shows the later 6a-type Lockheed/MGB rear brakes on the car.

Your shoes (i.e. Frodo's) do look pretty similar to the ones in the workshop manual.

....Roger
Last edited by Roger Pennington on Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

....Roger

RSSOC member (since 1982)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Condition can be bought at any time; Originality, once lost, is gone forever" - Doug Nye

Taggers

Post by Taggers » Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:51 pm

Oh yes, I'm happy with mine. I was trying to be helpful.

I'll shut up now.

1979 SE6A

frodo_monkey
RSSOC Member

Post by frodo_monkey » Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:19 pm

Got a few bits in the post from Walkers today, so finished off the front brakes (minus the hub/bearing caps because I kinda mullered those getting them off - must order some more). New calipers now fitted along with EBC pads, stub axles/bearings inspected, cleaned and regreased, copper lines and Goodridge hoses all fitted:

I was going to make a start sorting out the rears, but they'll have to wait for another evening. I need to order the springs that go between shoes, adjuster and cylinder anyhow, along with a couple of drum retaining screws. The drums have come out of their Deox-C soak a lot cleaner too!

frodo_monkey
RSSOC Member

Post by frodo_monkey » Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:48 pm

Work on the Scimitar will be stalling a bit over the next few weeks because I'm moving up to northern Scotland, but the drums have come up a treat with the Deox-C, and I've received all the parts. I haven't re-installed the rear brakes as I am running out of time, but the drums have been wirebrushed and refitted so the car can roll, and once up north I'll replace all the lines that I haven't so far. I also took the master cylinders off to clean and rebuild - after a good soak in Deox-C and a good wirebrushing, look what happens:

I took a pic of one 'done' and one 'before' to show the difference it makes; amazing really! I'll take them apart properly, clean them down and rebuild once I'm settled in - I guess I'll need to blow the crud out with some compressed air.

frodo_monkey
RSSOC Member

Post by frodo_monkey » Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:03 pm

So, the Scim and I are safely moved up to northern Scotland and I have done a few bits and pieces. Nothing major yet because there is a chance I and the car will be kicked out of our hangar, but I have been cracking on...

The body definitely needs to come off so I have removed the interior and yesterday delivered it to a local upholsterer who is going to replace the front squabs and leather facings, together with restoring the vinyl sides and also restoring the rear seats (also leather faced). Cost should be around £500 and he plans to have it done by around March (fitting in around other jobs).

But I need some advice please chaps! I want to take the body off (once I have 'guaranteed' workshop space) to strip down, weld and repaint the chassis. The body needs a respray, so I'm wondering if it would be possible for somebody to take the body away while I work on the chassis, do the paintwork, and then refit the painted body to the restored chassis... Is this possible or does the body need to be painted on the chassis? How much am I looking at for an 'exterior and wheelwells' respray, and does anybody have any recommendations in (ideally) northern Scotland but failing that anywhere north?

Thanks in advance for any tips you can offer :)

frodo_monkey
RSSOC Member

Post by frodo_monkey » Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:38 pm

Having had my questions answered elsewhere, I am now attempting the removal of the body (MCs are rebuilt and sat on my shelf). So far I have disconnected the engine bay wiring - and found a knackered earth strap which probably acccounts for the difficulties I have had starting it!

I found the following guide to body removal elsewhere on the site:
Front bumper cross member support plate - remove spare wheel tray and rad side plates - bumpers will come off with bodyshell - where are these? See below
Top turret support plates - 2 bolts each side by fuse box & expansion tank - DONE, nice and easy
Front outrigger bolts 2 each side in footwell BASTARDS! Still can't get one out. See below
Centre chassis support bolts 2 front 2 rear by centre console (I'm not sure where these are?)
Centre seat belt support bracket bolts 2 bolts each side - 1 bracket is inside, the other is under the car (don't ask me why) DONE with help from Mr Grinder
Seat belt inertia reel bolts 1 bolt each side DONE
roll bar bracket bolts 2 nuts/bolts each side
rear centre rail bolts behind rear seat folding squab 2 bolts each side
rear chassis support mounts in rear boot floor section 8 total
Rear bumper support bolts 1 each side
rear number plate holder bolts x 2 (I'm not sure why these need to come off?)
Petrol filler rubber pipe
fuel sender electrics
overdrive & reverse light switch electrics if fitted (3 way switch on early cars, solenoid wire, inhibit switch & reverse light switch on later cars)
handbrake cable support plate
gearbox speedo drive cable
rear washer pipe
earth straps for rear lights
gearbox earth strap
Windscreen washer pipe
Clutch and Brake pipes
Steering column joint
Front earthing strap
Starter motor lead
If fitted manual choke cable
Accelerator cable
Brake servo to inlet manifold pipe
2 x heater hoses
Lift front of car to 45 degree angle to clear front turrets, check for stray electric cables etc and then walk bodyshell backwards or roll the chassis forwards to clear the rear chassis support plate that extends into the bodyshell behind the rear bumper.
Job done time for beer
So, could somebody please explain the first line about the front bumper x-member support plate? My car had already had the spare wheel tray removed when I bought it, so I'm not too familiar with that part of the car. Pics of my car below if it helps:

And if anyone has any tips for getting one of the front outrigger bolts out (NS, the one closest to the door) I'd be grateful! The bolt head is rounded and won't even be gripped by Mole Grips, and I can't see how to get a grinder to the top of the bolt or into the outrigger to have a crack at the nut...

Ian
RSSOC Member

Post by Ian » Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:20 pm

You can just see the rear edge of the front bumper cross member support plate in the first photo. It sits on the top of the two rad side plates and has two largish studs which protrude through the bodywork to mount the bumpers on. The rad side plates have the horns mounted on them.

Ian
ScimitarWeb WebMaster
RSSOC 453
1974 SE5a manual and 1985 SS1 1600
If you know what you are doing... you aren't learning anything!

scimjim
RSSOC Member

Post by scimjim » Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:42 pm

I think that the front bumper crossmember can stay on the body (then you don't have to fight with the overriders) - the support plates are the two side plates - they're bolted to the chassis at the bottom and the crossmember at the top.

for the front outrigger bolt - if the outrigger is badly corroded (presumably if you're lifting the body) it may be easier to cut the remnants of the outrigger off? otherwise, a small/worn disc on the grinder? or weld a nut to the bolt? or drill it?

Jim King

Current: SE5 (8Ball), TI SS1 (snotty), 1600 SS1 (G97), 1600 SS1 (C686CCR), 2.5TD SE5a (diesel 5a), 6 x random other SS1s.
Previous: SE5, 3 x SE5a, 2 x SE6a, 3 x SE6b, GTC, 2.9i GTC, 3 x 1600 SS1, 1300 SS1, Mk1 Ti Sabre, Mk1.5 CVH Sabre
Chief mechanic for: 1400 K series SS1 (Megan3), 1400 CVH EFi SS1 (Grawpy), Sabre/MX5 auto (The Flying Broomstick),
1300 SS1 (Number One) & Sarah's coupe.
CURE THE FAULT - NOT THE SYMPTOMS

frodo_monkey
RSSOC Member

Post by frodo_monkey » Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:42 pm

Thanks for the suggestions chaps, very helpful!

I shall have a bash at removing the side plates next time I am up then. The outrigger bolt was really frustrating me earlier, I had thought about possibly welding an old spanner to the bolt but the small/worn grinding disc is a good idea, I'll give that a go. I think that cutting the outrigger off is an idea but possibly a bit drastic for this stage...

Honestly, it's a bit of a cow of a job isn't it!

AJL Electronics
RSSOC Member

Post by AJL Electronics » Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:46 pm

Yes, we can mend your Scimitar!
Order your Scimitar parts any hour of the day at http://www.classicmicrocars.com (member's discounts).

Fancy a holiday in Gael, France? http://www.ianrhu.com

There is no point trying to teach a pig to sing. It doesn't work and it annoys the pig.

frodo_monkey
RSSOC Member

Post by frodo_monkey » Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:52 pm

You're right, they will come in handy - didn't even know such a thing existed! Bought...

frodo_monkey
RSSOC Member

Post by frodo_monkey » Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:40 pm

Well far too long without an update...

I haven't actually done too much to the car - a combination of work being uber-busy and buying a new race car has seen to that! I have had the interior refurbished by a local upholsterer (front seats recovered in black leather, centre console cover also recovered and the backs cleaned up/fed) and that is about it. Sadly I am moving shortly (again!) and am possibly off to Afghanistan shortly thereafter for a few months 'holiday', so I am considering selling the car... Rather than put it on eBay, I thought I'd gather opinion as to its potential worth here before I make any decisions.

So, given the history of the car (detailed in the thread previously), how much do you think we are talking?

Car is a '74 SE5a, body in reasonable order but could do with a respray, engine fine, chassis needs some welding hence the body is nearly ready to come off, interior nice and includes an 8 track player with lots of 8 tracks :), refurbished calipers and Slotmags - best guesses? Shes at RAF Kinloss near Forres in Moray, Scotland. I'd be grateful of any advice!

CNHSS1
RSSOC Member

Post by CNHSS1 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:46 pm

good luck with the sale, i will look after your other reliant while you are away ;-)
did it go alright at Mallory? saw some pics of some mega cars, defo going to the event in august. Assume you have an entry?

Racing is life, everything before and after, is just waiting--Steve McQueen
6 time Class Champ, 2006 & 2014 SSSC Champion

RIP Batmobile, await the Rise of Dark Knight 8)
Sabre 'Light Sabre' 360hp!!

Sixpence

Post by Sixpence » Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:56 pm

Very interesting. I owned this car for about 22 years. It gave me excellent service, but needed plenty of TLC throughout that time! Sad to see it in a poor state and now very pleased to know that it is receiving the care that the old girl deserves. I look forward to seeing and reading the progress you make. By the way, all the metal parts were treated internally with waxoil, repeatedly, during my ownership. So take care if you do any hot work as you could have an extra big bonfire!

Return to “Project Progress”