SCIMITAR V8 LEXUS

If you have a long-term project and would like to share/document progress, this is for you.

Moderators: scimjim, Lukeyboy46, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington, philhoward

TeeinChina

Re: SCIMITAR V8 LEXUS

Post by TeeinChina » Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:38 am

Coupe' Racing wrote:The bar running in front of the engine holds the tops of the chassis apart !

Try removing the bar - then jack the car up on either the NSF or OSF and see if you can refit it - - -ERGO - its a brace/support - and indeed it would change the handling of the car if missing

Steve
:D Again very true but my point is that the strut braces referred to always go OVER the engine between the strut towers that are part of the monocoque design to control body flex from high powered engine torque flexing the body and affecting the handling whereas the scimitar reinforcement is neither over or under the engine as the purpose is for different reasons where if the body of a Scimitar was metal as opposed to GRP no such support would be needed due to the separate chassis. Strut braces on modern cars stop the front suspension leaning in towards each other which a vehicle with a separate chassis does not have this problem

I'm not Jesus but I can turn wine into water - but not when sober!

CNHSS1
RSSOC Member

Post by CNHSS1 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:49 am

They both keep the 'chassis', whether it be 'proper' or bent-tin mono-cock from folding up, so both are a brace, whether you choose to call them strut, chassis or 'gerald' brace is pretty academic in my book :lol:

Racing is life, everything before and after, is just waiting--Steve McQueen
6 time Class Champ, 2006 & 2014 SSSC Champion

RIP Batmobile, await the Rise of Dark Knight 8)
Sabre 'Light Sabre' 360hp!!

scimjim
RSSOC Member

Post by scimjim » Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:27 pm

TeeinChina wrote:Strut braces on modern cars stop the front suspension leaning in towards each other which a vehicle with a separate chassis does not have this problem
That's the point we're making that you're missing. The Scimitar suspension towers DO move a hell of a lot if they're unsupported - if you take the strut brace out, you can't put it back in unless you jack up the car in the centre (to splay the tower tops) - never mind what they'd do under cornering without it fitted.

Jim King

SECURE DRY STORAGE FOR YOUR SCIMITAR

Current: SE5 (8Ball), TI SS1 (snotty), 1600 SS1 (G97), 1600 SS1 (C686CCR), 2.5TD SE5a (diesel 5a), 6 x random other SS1s.
Previous: SE5, 3 x SE5a, 2 x SE6a, 3 x SE6b, GTC, 2.9i GTC, 3 x 1600 SS1, 1300 SS1, Mk1 Ti Sabre, Mk1.5 CVH Sabre
Chief mechanic for: 1400 K series SS1 (Megan3), 1400 CVH EFi SS1 (Grawpy), 1300 SS1 (Number One) & Sarah's coupe.
CURE THE FAULT - NOT THE SYMPTOMS

TeeinChina

Post by TeeinChina » Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:48 pm

Points taken but when the inference was 'it needs a strut brace' , my meaning was what ever you call that bar on a Scimitar - it was already there in the first place and not needed due to the fitment of the Lexus V8. Also true if that bar was taken out then problems would be aparent due to its intended function. I wont dwell on this any more and stop banging my head against the brick wall :mrgreen: I will just add this link as reference though :D http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strut_bar

I'm not Jesus but I can turn wine into water - but not when sober!

scimjim
RSSOC Member

Post by scimjim » Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:23 pm

TeeinChina wrote:Points taken but when the inference was 'it needs a strut brace' , my meaning was what ever you call that bar on a Scimitar - it was already there in the first place and not needed due to the fitment of the Lexus V8.
Luckily, I (and everybody else) knew that Sam meant the original strut brace as it was barely visible in the photo :mrgreen:

I don't place too much credence on non-referenced Wikipedia pages - you often end up with popular myth instead of researched data.

Jim King

Current: SE5 (8Ball), TI SS1 (snotty), 1600 SS1 (G97), 1600 SS1 (C686CCR), 2.5TD SE5a (diesel 5a), 6 x random other SS1s.
Previous: SE5, 3 x SE5a, 2 x SE6a, 3 x SE6b, GTC, 2.9i GTC, 3 x 1600 SS1, 1300 SS1, Mk1 Ti Sabre, Mk1.5 CVH Sabre
Chief mechanic for: 1400 K series SS1 (Megan3), 1400 CVH EFi SS1 (Grawpy), 1300 SS1 (Number One) & Sarah's coupe.

Scim6

Post by Scim6 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:14 am

Steve
1977 SE6A - First car

RichardKC6

Post by RichardKC6 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:48 am

samd wrote:Although the Classic (with a capital C) becomes more of a hibrid once the original engine type is changed. Some people dont give a toss about that, but others do.
But when legislation starts to limit the usability of classic cars, maybe with limited mileage or similar, then running gear transplants might be the answer. And if you're thinking green, there's an interesting balance.

Modern engines are longer-lived, more efficient and lighter. The reason modern cars are such a disaster for the environment is that they weigh a considerable amount more (and catalysts are a mixed blessing). My favourite actual "conversion" is one Mercedes-Benz did, putting their Mercedes C-class diesel into a 190 (an astonishingly small car by modern standards, I had one in February and couldn't believe how tiny it was). Result? 0-60 in 6 seconds or so and well into the 60s mpg.

I'd like to get one of the super-efficient 1.6 HDi diesels from a modern Citroen - the one that in a near 1.6 tonne C5 can deliver reasonable oomph - and stick it into a BX, where the body in white weighs a mere 260KG. I wouldn't be surprised if that, with correct gearing, yeilded a five-seater practical family hatchback with a sub 9-second 0-60 and 80mpg.

2008 Citroën C6 (C6 RTK) and '93 Jeep Cherokee 4.0
SS1 gone, but not forgotten - next year ;)
133 cars in 18 years and thinking it's got to stop sometime, right? Please?

scimjim
RSSOC Member

Post by scimjim » Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:51 am

RichardKC6 wrote:The reason modern cars are such a disaster for the environment is that they weigh a considerable amount more (and catalysts are a mixed blessing).
and the energy consumed in actually producing them :twisted:

Jim King

RichardKC6

Post by RichardKC6 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:55 am

scimjim wrote:oh - and we must be the same age Ben - your computer page reads like I wrote it - ZX81 (with massive expansion packs), set up the schools RML380Zs when I was in 5th form (real floppy discs!), Spectrum, Vic20, BBC model B+ (what was the micro-tape called?) - I actually painted the shells for many of the BBCs in my brief period as an apprentice sprayer :D
Old cars, and old computers - I'm another collector; still have my Ataris and a couple of other oddities.

philhoward
RSSOC Member

Post by philhoward » Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:01 am

scimjim wrote:
RichardKC6 wrote:The reason modern cars are such a disaster for the environment is that they weigh a considerable amount more (and catalysts are a mixed blessing).
(hides as i'm currently staring at BIW Jaguar XF's going past...) :oops:

Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin
SS1 1600 Rooster Turbo; Sabre Mk1.5, Sabre Mk2
Previous: SE5/5a/SS1 No.1/SS1 Rooster/SS1 1800Ti/SE5a 24 Valve
http://www.ss1turbo.com
Never try and argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you based on experience.

RichardKC6

Post by RichardKC6 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:32 am

philhoward wrote:
scimjim wrote:
(hides as i'm currently staring at BIW Jaguar XF's going past...) :oops:
I wanted one of those instead of my C6. I keep thinking I chose the wrong car :( Then I saw the new XJ, was welcomed by a Worcester dealership despite wearing ripped jeans and driving my beaten-up Xantia that day, and knew I'd chosen the wrong car :/

I agree about the energy, but I think it's more due to the way people consume cars in the UK that it seems SO horrific. In Canada it's perfectly respectable for a professional to drive a 10-year old car they've owned from new; in Europe the used values of a ten-year old Xantia are still well into four figures (and that' with the Euro at near-parity with the pound sometimes) and a 12-year old XM will set you back €11000+, whereas here it'd struggle to get a couple of grand. We consume cars in the UK in a truly irresponsible manner (and I'm not preaching, I'm as bad as anyone for the reasons below, but it's an observation).

One of the contributory factors is our mad balance of values. Back in the '80s, you'd pay something like £10K for a decent family car; in 1990 a Golf GTi Cabrio was £13,995 for a car fundamentally unchanged from the model introduced over a decade previously and seriously outclassed in terms of body engineering compared to contemporary products.

Compare that to house prices (around £40K for an average house) and wages (IIRC, around £11-12K national average).

In 2004 I got a New Beetle Cabrio on contract hire. IIRC it was a couple of hundred quid a month; the new list price was £14,500. Compared to the Golf GTi Cabrio, it featured a considerably more complex and "luxurious" roof, four electric windows, much more electronics, heated seats, auto wipers, etc. It also weighed nearly 1400Kg and returned 33mpg (often nearer 30) from the 1.6 injection engine. Average income was around £23K IIRC, and houses were hitting an average of £180K.

It's no surprise that there are so many Bentley Continentals in the UK; they cost, in real terms, as much as a SAAB 900 Turbo did in the mid '80s. They also depreciate at a terrifying rate as a result, thus further feeding the UK's incredibly wasteful approach to cars.

Personally, I ran contract hire cars because I had SO many bad experiences with garages that I just began to hate anything going wrong with my old cars. When the Beetle went back (having developed a leak that the local dealer refused to fix despite the car being new, UK sourced, just not from them), I thought "stuff this, I'm having a boring, cheap to run car that costs nothing and nothing to run and I'll run a lovely classic". First of all, I was hit with quotes of around £3K to restore the body of my XR4i - which combined badly with the experiences I'd had of letting anyone undertake that sort of work. Then I discovered that my chosen car, a Yaris, was £188/month. I really wanted a Toyota because the local dealer had been amazing with my Seras, one of the few good experiences, but the same broker then said "Or you can have an RX8 for £199/month".

Well. That wasn't a hard decision.

New cars cost peanuts in this country; many garages are dishonest, most appear to be bordering on incompetent, the few good ones are being hammered by liability, health and safety and rates that mean they may take 2 hours on a 2 hour job, but they end up earning an hour's wage and not a good one.

Um.. well, sorry for the rant there!

But anyway. I really like this V8 transplant, I wanted to have the resources to put one in my Supra and indeed, mid-engined into the back of my Sera (a project which has kind-of been done, but not how I would).

And at least those XFs are being exported and doing this country's economy some good.

BodgerBen
RSSOC Member

Post by BodgerBen » Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:30 pm

Update on the car...

The interior is back in - new carpets and hatch area's are all looking nice.

RAF Odiham track day went well, Caroline had a couple of half hour sessions with the instructor Leyton Clarke - the early session was held up by a few red flags, but in the afternoon session Caroline had the track to herself as the rest of the drivers were in for a b0ll0cking - too many red flags!!
A good 30 min session with no other cars on track - Caroline was dead chuffed!!
The gearing is either too high or we don't have enough oomph - the car was touching 125-130mph at the end of the straight which is 6.5k in 3rd - never used 4th.
It was quite funny with cars going past as you pull out of the chicane at the start of the straight - only to overtake them again 2/3rds of the way down. The Scim was only using 2nd and 3rd.

A few pics are on the bottom of http://www.bodgerben.com/Scimitar.htm

Anway - change the gearing or add more oomph - stuff the gearing, a Supercharger is on the cards - I've not yet decided what one to go for, but probably an Eaton M90 with a lowly 6(ish)psi boost, which should be enough to add another 130bhp. We can always add NOS after that or go for a bigger supercharger.

http://www.bulletcars.com/superchargers ... ystem.html

The next track day is October 4th - and after that the car is coming off the road for paint.

Cheers,
Ben

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

Post by Roger Pennington » Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:50 pm

Hi Ben, Sounds good :) Any chance you'll get to Curborough over the weekend?

I shall be lurking around with my camera on October 4th so I'll keep a lookout for you.

....Roger

....Roger

RSSOC member (since 1982)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Condition can be bought at any time; Originality, once lost, is gone forever" - Doug Nye

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

Post by Roger Pennington » Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:16 pm

Here’s an update to this story – A week ago I was at Goodwood for a GRRC track day and was pleased to meet up again with Ben and his family and their famous Lexus V8 Scimitar. The car has had some changes since last time, perhaps most important being a Jaguar LSD (4.41:1 IIRC) which suits the ratios in the Lexus gearbox much better. Here are some photos of the day:

Waiting in the queue to go out on the track:

Out on track :

As well as the track photographs, I remembered that the compact camera that I use as a backup to my DSLR can shoot video, though I’ve never used it before. So I gave it a try, and here’s a quick burst – turn up the volume! :mrgreen: (If I’d realised it worked so well I’d have shot more :roll: )

Flikr Video Link

A bit of fettling in the paddock:

Rear brakes – nice! :D :

Some rear suspension mods:

The interior has had some tidying since I last saw it, with more carpet for example:

….Roger

....Roger

RSSOC member (since 1982)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Condition can be bought at any time; Originality, once lost, is gone forever" - Doug Nye

philhoward
RSSOC Member

Post by philhoward » Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:22 pm

The rear anti-roll bar looks to be bigger than the trailing arms - or is just perspective and its the same size :shock:

Also - does the speedo go high enough, I wonder?? :mrgreen:

Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin
SS1 1600 Rooster Turbo; Sabre Mk1.5, Sabre Mk2
Previous: SE5/5a/SS1 No.1/SS1 Rooster/SS1 1800Ti/SE5a 24 Valve
http://www.ss1turbo.com
Never try and argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you based on experience.

Return to “Project Progress”