SCIMITAR V8 LEXUS

If you have a long-term project and would like to share/document progress, this is for you.

Moderators: scimjim, Roger Pennington, Lukeyboy46, philhoward, erikscimitardemon

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

Re: SCIMITAR V8 LEXUS

Post by Roger Pennington » Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:36 pm

I suspect perspective plays a part in the photo, but there's no doubt that it is pretty beefy. The photos show that the handling is better than it was, though it's still perhaps a bit soft, the dampers seemed to be a bit limp and I believe new ones are on the agenda next.

....Roger

....Roger

RSSOC member (since 1982)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Condition can be bought at any time; Originality, once lost, is gone forever" - Doug Nye

Nickandkarren

Post by Nickandkarren » Sun May 04, 2014 5:41 pm

Cracking car, great build. Was the original lexus diff not a better option to mate to the engine and hence solve the gearing issues or would this have cause a real head ache with custom drive and prop shafts?
Supercharger and some piggy back management might do the trick, funny I have some drop in 550cc injectors for this engine.
Removing the Maf sensor also aids performance by getting rid of the huge restriction on the engine, although that does require piggy, however I see you mention lextream so I will say no more.
Great build and I hope ours can be even remotely similar

RobHoward

Post by RobHoward » Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:13 pm

Hi Ben,

love the conversion! did you use the ecu and loom from the donor car? or are you using an aftermarket ecu?

Thanks

Rob

Lotus Esprit 4.5 V8 on Air Ride build
http://retrorides.proboards.com/thread/ ... =undefined

BodgerBen
RSSOC Member

1UZFE V8 SE6A

Post by BodgerBen » Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:53 am

Just saying hi as we've been a bit busy with other projects, trying to go 200+ within a mile, we've not done that yet, 193 is the best so far with a 25mph head wind, so there's still hope. That's been in Caroline's 911 Turbo. Pretty much a new engine and gearbox for that cars been a tad expensive. You need a lot of power to break 200 in a short(ish) distance so blowing the head gaskets, cracking the block and breaking the gearbox have been learning experiences. Whilst we had the block changed lots of other stuff has been done along with the normal rods, pistons, injectors, turbos, intercolers, fuel pumps. I suppose it is all to be expected, it's running around 750bhp at the mo, the engine has been built to take 1000bhp but that would mean silly size turbos and a bit more lag than Caroline wants to live with. It's her everyday car, the boost controler has a few settings, low, which is normal(ish) power (420) for winter (yes she puts winter tyres and uses it all year) then some setiings for track and runway days where the boost can be set to come in low or higher up the revs. It's an old auto box and she changes into top just gone 175 when you have the throttle nailed down. 7mpg on track days is not too bad, I think it's less than that on the runway days - six injectors flowing 800cc every min = empty tank very quickly.

And my Dolly Sprint - she's all wide arched and looking rather posh, although I did have her booked in with Dad and James for a LS3 engine - James has persuaded me to start with shell rather than ruining POE (she's on ebay at the mo, if she doesn't sell, stuff it, we'll put the LS3 in there).

So what's happened to the Lexus Scimitar - I've been using it as an everyday car, the bodywork is tatty, I had it blown over in celly just after the engine change, she really needs doing properly. I've had a bit of fun with the remote oil filter/heat exchanger - but then found a place in the states that makes a lovely billet gizmo that uses the original O ring rather than a gasket - fingers cossed that's sorted now.

The Jag XJS four pots have been replaced with a spiffing set of Fossway alloy 4 pots. Good god I didn't realise how heavy those Jag four pots were until I removed them.
Some tidying here and there and she's been great - that's why I need V8 power for the Dolly, but there's less room in the Dolly for a DOHC V8 - so going old school pushrod.

Anyway, I've just rejoined the club and noticed there may be a SE6 heated screen available - that would be great and I can use the Scim all through the year, I parked her up last winter.

I'll post up some pics when I've taken some.

Dad's been using his original SE4 quite a lot and James has completed the Daimler V8 into his SE4 - he's used the Daimler's dials - so it looks like a E-Type in there, we had all three at the Cranleigh Show earlier in the year. Nope, I didn't take any pics.

scimjim
RSSOC Member

SCIMITAR V8 LEXUS

Post by scimjim » Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:36 pm

Welcome back - I've merged this post with the existing thread for your car :D

Heated screens available through the Club - details here.

Jim King

Current: SE5 (8Ball), TI SS1 (snotty), 1600 SS1 (G97), 1600 SS1 (C686CCR), 2.5TD SE5a (diesel 5a), 6 x random other SS1s.
Previous: SE5, 3 x SE5a, 2 x SE6a, 3 x SE6b, GTC, 2.9i GTC, 3 x 1600 SS1, 1300 SS1, Mk1 Ti Sabre, Mk1.5 CVH Sabre
Chief mechanic for: 1400 K series SS1 (Megan3), 1400 CVH EFi SS1 (Grawpy), Sabre/MX5 auto (The Flying Broomstick),
1300 SS1 (Number One) & Sarah's coupe.
CURE THE FAULT - NOT THE SYMPTOMS

BodgerBen
RSSOC Member

SCIMITAR V8 LEXUS

Post by BodgerBen » Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:25 pm

Thanks Jim,
Caroline did see 204 on the speedo of her 911 at VMax in September so that's now done. Albeit only a 196 through the beams, on the plus side no Astons got anywhere near that (Aston subsidised the day with plenty of cars to test) and the fastest McLaren, a 675LT was 195! No more runway days, a chap we know blew his new engine on a 207mph run, ouch! Oh, and a silly bugger in his new(ish) turbo M6 decided not to brake and launched the car over the grass bank, into the trees, he took out a few trees, thankfully him and his Mrs walked away. The car, was not so lucky.
Anyway, I've continued to hoon around in the SE6A. But there is so much I need to do!
Caroline is about to pick up her new i3, I get the Forester XT for winter and I'll probably take the Scim off the road for a year whilst I sort out rattles and bits, hopefully get those heated screens fitted, sort out the power steering, maybe put the original seats back in....etc.
The minds willing...

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

SCIMITAR V8 LEXUS

Post by Roger Pennington » Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:14 pm

Hi Ben, good to hear from you again, sorry I missed your first post, 204 or 196 is pretty impressive, well done! :D Good to hear the Se6a is continuing to perform well, also. You mentioned two Se4s - would one of them be the "barn find" one? If so, it's great that that's back on the road again :D The Daimler engined one is really going back to it's roots!

....Roger

RSSOC member (since 1982)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Condition can be bought at any time; Originality, once lost, is gone forever" - Doug Nye

BusaPhill
RSSOC Member

SCIMITAR V8 LEXUS

Post by BusaPhill » Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:52 am

Hi Ben.

Good to hear the Scimitar is still around.

Can you give us the low down of the suspension and brake upgrades in detail please.
And lastly the mods to the Fuel system to go Injection.

Thanks
Phill.

1979 Scimitar SE6A V6 3.1Auto
2005 Mercedes C320 V6 3.0 Diesel (Daily Driver).

Return to “Project Progress”