eBay GTC Restoration (now with added MOT)

If you have a long-term project and would like to share/document progress, this is for you.

Moderators: scimjim, Lukeyboy46, Roger Pennington, philhoward, erikscimitardemon

Corky
RSSOC Member

Re: eBay GTC Restoration (now with added frustration)

Post by Corky » Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:53 am

A couple more pictures of the TR6 disc fitting :-

This is just a trial fit. The observant will notice a lack of brake lines, dust shield and locking tabs.

Steve
Current:- SS1 Ti RG sprint car, Honda S2000, VW Touareg 3.0 V6
Prev:- Sabre Ti, 3xSS1 Ti, SS1 16v Turbo Racer, 5XGTC, 2XSE6B, 2XSE5A, 2XV6 Coupe, Sabre 6
Project Threads & YouTube

“It's not the winning, it's the taking apart that counts"

Nick_F

Post by Nick_F » Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:44 pm

Interesting. I have drilled & grooved TR6 discs - from Neil Revington - on my 5a: they fit round the Girling 3-pot calipers straight out of the box.

The older I get the faster I was.

Corky
RSSOC Member

Post by Corky » Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:24 am

Nick_F wrote:Interesting. I have drilled & grooved TR6 discs - from Neil Revington - on my 5a: they fit round the Girling 3-pot calipers straight out of the box.
Hi Nick, the 5a discs are the same as TR6 so fit straight out of the box as you say. Unfortunately when it comes to SE6a onwards it's not so straight forward, the Lockheed discs have a smaller O/D but otherwise look identical. Hence the need to trim a bit off to get it to clear the caliper.

The other way of doing it would've been to use 5A Girling calipers. This would've needed an imperial to metric conversion on the brake pipe and maybe a bit of fiddling with the M12 bolts from the Lockheed system to get the Girling caliper into position. If I ever do the job again, I'll probably do it that way.

Steve
Prev:- Sabre Ti, 3xSS1 Ti, SS1 16v Turbo Racer, 5XGTC, 2XSE6B, 2XSE5A, 2XV6 Coupe, Sabre 6

Corky
RSSOC Member

Post by Corky » Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:47 pm

I'm just trying to get my head around the work that's left to do before I can start enjoying the car.

OSF front suspension complete :-

NSF front suspension to do :-

Front Wheels cleaned and polished (still debating which new ones to buy) :-

Rear Wheels still to do :-

Re-plumb the engine and paint and detail here and there :-

Fit the QRG supplied brake pipe kit :-

The big push starts tomorrow !

Steve

greeny
RSSOC Member

Post by greeny » Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:29 pm

Cant see any rush Steve as i cant see you taking it out on the dirty salty wet roads wouldnt want to get it messy. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Babe the GTC number 229 and and Smurfett the 1400 SST. Ness the vw t4 van/dayvan/camper
Previous 3.0v6 X type jaguar triumph acclaim scimitar SE4A 663 (ex Collin Watson coupe) 2x se5a's 2x SS1 1600s and a load.of other things I can't remember!!!
GTC drivers doing it under canvas since 1981!!

Website scimitargtc.co.uk
12601 14846 18/09/12

Nick_F

Post by Nick_F » Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:24 pm

Unless that's all just dust, then personally I would haul the engine out to clean and paint it.

The older I get the faster I was.

Corky
RSSOC Member

Post by Corky » Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:26 am

Nick_F wrote:Unless that's all just dust, then personally I would haul the engine out to clean and paint it.
I'll see how I go with it as I don't want to risk scratching the paintwork. The engine crane is on standby though.

Steve

Corky
RSSOC Member

Post by Corky » Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:49 pm

Good news ! Both sides of the front suspension are now fully rebuilt. Grooved & drilled discs fitted, calipers painted and new Goodridge hoses fitted.

I also fitted the home-brew ARB drop links.

This is the N/S after some wire brushing. The galvanising has stood up well, but I've given it a coat of black hammerite for cosmetic purposes.

Caliper cleaned and painted. New copper pipe fitted (it's much easier to do this on the bench than on the car) along with Goodridge hose. The bottom photo shows the small amount I had to file off the caliper tyo clear the domed area of the TR6 G&D disc. I also had to give the caliper another coat of paint after this bit of work :oops:

Nearside suspension rebuilt with rose jointed ARB droplink

Cleaned, painted and re-bushed ARB with rose jointed links each side

Polished Wolfrace with SS nuts, new centres & stickers (shortly to be for sale as I've ordered some 15" X 7" Revolutions)

Steve

swoakes
RSSOC Member

Post by swoakes » Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:47 pm

Hi Steve, Looking good. Did you have the wheels polished by someone or was it a DIY job? If DIY how did you achieve the finish. Steve

Steve Oakes
SS1 DET Sprint Car

Former cars
SS1 DET Turbo sprint Project
Sabre Ti
SS1 Ti
1971 Yellow 5a
1985 SS1 1600
1978 Green/Silver 6a

"Fail to prepare and you are preparing to fail."
Benjamin Franklin

Corky
RSSOC Member

Post by Corky » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:24 am

swoakes wrote:Hi Steve, Looking good. Did you have the wheels polished by someone or was it a DIY job? If DIY how did you achieve the finish. Steve
Steve, I did them myself.

Brillo pad to start with to get all the crud off. Then 800 wet and dry, 1200 wet and dry, brillo pad again and finally polish with Autosol. Each wheel takes about an hour and is done with a bucket hot soapy water at each stage before the final polish.

Steve

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

Post by Roger Pennington » Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:22 pm

Yes, I find Brillo pads are very good for normal maintenance, if they are allowed to corrode beyond the "repolish with Solvol" stage then Brillo followed by Solvol will bring them back.

...Roger

....Roger

RSSOC member (since 1982)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Condition can be bought at any time; Originality, once lost, is gone forever" - Doug Nye

rob dunster

Post by rob dunster » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:10 pm

is there any need to lacquer the wheels after they have been polished? i have a set of wolfrace that need cleaning/polishing,and have looked with interest on this,or is regular polishing and waxing enough?

Corky
RSSOC Member

Post by Corky » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:37 pm

rob dunster wrote:is there any need to lacquer the wheels after they have been polished? i have a set of wolfrace that need cleaning/polishing,and have looked with interest on this,or is regular polishing and waxing enough?
If your car is used in the depths of winter whilst there's plenty of salt on the road it's a good idea to wax or grease them in some way. You could laquer them but I understand that it's not always very successful, as moisture behind the laquer can send it cloudy in places. Painting and powder coating are alternative options.

If you clean your car regularly, then a good polish every so often will see them continue to sparkle.

The wheels on this car probably haven't been cleaned or polished for several years and you can see from the photos that they were brought back from the brink with a bit of elbow grease (I've surprised myself with them if I'm honest).

Steve

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

Post by Roger Pennington » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:49 pm

Yes, I think there's no absolute answer, but if you're prepared to put a bit of effort into polishing them periodically, and preferably if the car doesn't stand outside all the time in all weathers, then leaving them bare is by far the best. Consider it as part of your regular car cleaning routine.
If it's stood outside all the time, or if you're going to leave them with brake dust on them for weeks at a time, then you may be better off laquering them. But laquer is an imperfect solution, it seems to allow water underneath (either through surface defects or stone chips) which then corrodes the alloy even worse than if bare. So I think laquer really needs to be stripped and re-done every few years.
Whether bare or laquered, IMHO I think wolfies really demand a polished surface. :D

....Roger

....Roger

RSSOC member (since 1982)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Condition can be bought at any time; Originality, once lost, is gone forever" - Doug Nye

franko14

Post by franko14 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:46 pm

scimitarcars.org.uk wrote:
rob dunster wrote:is there any need to lacquer the wheels after they have been polished? i have a set of wolfrace that need cleaning/polishing,and have looked with interest on this,or is regular polishing and waxing enough?
If your car is used in the depths of winter whilst there's plenty of salt on the road it's a good idea to wax or grease them in some way. You could laquer them but I understand that it's not always very successful, as moisture behind the laquer can send it cloudy in places. Painting and powder coating are alternative options.

If you clean your car regularly, then a good polish every so often will see them continue to sparkle.

The wheels on this car probably haven't been cleaned or polished for several years and you can see from the photos that they were brought back from the brink with a bit of elbow grease (I've surprised myself with them if I'm honest).

i used autosol and then Poorboys wheel sealant wax. I´m very happy with the dirt resistance that the wax has provided. just apply a new coat when you´re giving the car a wash. they´re are other brands of wax too but i haven´t tried them. i´ve had alloy´s lacquered on my other cars over the years but i have always regretted doing so. The lacquer chips and then water tends to invade under the lacquer and it´s a real pain to remove the lacquer. so it´s a real bonus to have to only spent a few minutes here and there applying wheel sealant wax rather than spending ages fannying about with lacquer when it inevitably starts to flake

cheers,
Frank

Se6a GTE Auto 3702
'88 Saab 900 Turbo S

Return to “Project Progress”