I've not really used the GTE much since fixing the head gasket, I spent some time flushing cooling system out, Which looked particularly nasty and took quite a few flushes to get rid of the contaminated coolant.
Last flush before refilling with coolant.
I'd more or less put everything back together but over the bank holiday weekend I experienced a bit of a tangent involving the paintwork... After the deer incedent the drivers side front wing was more or less stripped back to gelcoat in some places. At this point it would probably have been easiser to chuck some primer over it and a couple of colour matched rattle cans and forget about it until I can actually afford a decent respray. One of the problems with this is that due to the thickness of the paint it was quite hard to tie in the repair as the levels were all over the place. So in the end I ordered some two pack epoxy primer, colour matched to the existing paint and decided to sand / scrape off all the paint, starting with the front end.
Eariler in the summer pre omghgf!
The Head gasket / top end work distracted me from the sanding, Its not really practical to use the DA next to a stripped down engine. But with the engine finally back together I was finally able to contiue with some of the sanding back work, my aim was to get it so that the front end was all one colour...
Interestingly as part of the paint removal process there is some evidence that the car may once have been Highland Purple. Difficult to confirm as I only have DVLA records that go pack as far as computerisation In 1976. The DVLA say it was definatey red by then, so its hard to know if there was a colour change while it was at Reliant. or if it just had a respray early in its life. The purple paint is the first colour after the origonal primer and there is no primer between that and the red coat.
Heres another shot showing how thick the paintwork is!
Here's a few more shots as the sanding back progressed.
Its taken a lot longer to get to get the paint off than I expected. Over the weeked I'll have time to put up another non bodywork update covering the wiring and sensor upgrades...