My first 5a

If you have a long-term project and would like to share/document progress, this is for you.

Moderators: scimjim, Lukeyboy46, Roger Pennington, philhoward, erikscimitardemon

mattm

Re: My first 5a

Post by mattm » Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:34 pm

Right replaced Timing gear yesterday! I had a rather alarming surprise while I was taking off the front timing cover... the front right core plug from the new heads I have was pushed out!!!!

Oh sh!t I thought, hope its done its job and there is nothing major buggered! Well I pushed it back in with some blue hylomer as a temprary measure. Put steel timing gear on and painted front cover/pully and put all back together. Car seemed to run fine in the poly tunnel, so Ill have I hope all is well.

One thing however, I was expecting the steel timing gear to be more noisy (it is) however there is a new 'ticking' noise coming from that area.. sounds like a noisy fuel pump, but it wasn't as bad before???? Any idea?

I think Im going to put relays on the headlamps to help with brightness... also are there any good options for fitting super duper bright bulbs? H4's I presume? Ive been looking on ebay and am unsure what exactly I need as I have yet to take apart a scimmy lamp unit.

I think I also have some driving spotlamps lying around somwhere which I may look at retrofitting somehow.

1975 Se5a White.

scimjim
RSSOC Member

Post by scimjim » Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:28 am

did you put the same fuel pump back on? ticking can be the arm on the eccentric wheel.

if the core plug wasn't leaking there won't be any damage.

definitely relay the headlights - even more important if upgrading the bulbs. You can simply fit higher wattage bulbs (within the limits of the law your honour :D ) or have a look at AJLs HID conversion in his project thread.

Jim King

SECURE DRY STORAGE FOR YOUR SCIMITAR

Current: SE5 (8Ball), TI SS1 (snotty), 1600 SS1 (G97), 1600 SS1 (C686CCR), 2.5TD SE5a (diesel 5a), 6 x random other SS1s.
Previous: SE5, 3 x SE5a, 2 x SE6a, 3 x SE6b, GTC, 2.9i GTC, 3 x 1600 SS1, 1300 SS1, Mk1 Ti Sabre, Mk1.5 CVH Sabre
Chief mechanic for: 1400 K series SS1 (Megan3), 1400 CVH EFi SS1 (Grawpy), 1300 SS1 (Number One) & Sarah's coupe.
CURE THE FAULT - NOT THE SYMPTOMS

mattm

Post by mattm » Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:52 am

Yea I put the same one back on. I'll may take it off and run it and see if the noise goes away. In any case I have a leccy fuel pump to fit at some point. Its a facet posi-flow so am unsure where would be the best place to position it if not in one of the rear cubby's (which I would have thought would be too high).

HID conversion looks very interesting, however will probably stick with some regular bulbs for now. Off to town in a bit, shopping list...

-Striaght through pipes to remove mid boxes (ill get some mid silencers if they prove too loud without).
-See what cheap lamda sensor for AFR guage may be about... was thinking local scappy?
-white undercoat, fine body filler and some top coat of similar colour to touch up bodywork.
-Badass bulbs for the headlights with relays to give some of those Audi/Landrover/BMW drivers who decide to dip their lights only when youve been blinded wnough to be in the ditch, a bit of a taste of their own medicine. :evil:
-And Im still looking for some material to make an extra thick spacer from.

cheers for now.

1975 Se5a White.

AJL Electronics
RSSOC Member

Post by AJL Electronics » Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:14 pm

If you go HID, you will not need to do the relay conversion. All is in the kit. By the time you have bought a couple of decent bulbs and the relays etc, you have paid for the HID kit.

Yes, we can mend your Scimitar!
Order your Scimitar parts any hour of the day at http://www.classicmicrocars.com (member's discounts).

Fancy a holiday in Gael, France? http://www.ianrhu.com

There is no point trying to teach a pig to sing. It doesn't work and it annoys the pig.

mattm

Post by mattm » Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:44 pm

Hmm, I have a better look into going HID, wouldnt I need two sets?

Well bought some fine body filler and have started to gaouge/sand/key/fill cracks and bits where the paint was swollen and cracking off. tomorrow will be sanding back and undercoating and possibly top coating the areas, but will most liekly have to get a panel spray made up.

My quest for straight exhaust sections was a failure as the motor factors didnt have any in stock (Ill have to order) and Performance 'rip-off' 3000 wanted over £80 for two plain stanless 3ft sections!!

Ill post pics soon.

1975 Se5a White.

philhoward
RSSOC Member

Post by philhoward » Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:33 pm

Try Merlin Motorsport, cbsonline.co.uk or Europa for straight tube - except the centre boxes aren't parallel pipes from memory (so you'd need a "kink")?

Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin
SS1 1600 Rooster Turbo; Sabre Mk1.5, Sabre Mk2
Previous: SE5/5a/SS1 No.1/SS1 Rooster/SS1 1800Ti/SE5a 24 Valve
http://www.ss1turbo.com
Never try and argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you based on experience.

Nick_F

Post by Nick_F » Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:43 pm

I built mine with straight sections, boxes and 5 degree bends from Merlin.

The older I get the faster I was.

mattm

Post by mattm » Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:27 pm

Right... so been carrying on with doing the bodywork today.

With extra help...
By mcmeat51 at 2011-01-17

I have done all the filling with some excellent fine body filler I bought from town, and have sanded back with 320grit, then a few coats of undercoat and resanded. I have put another coat of under coat which I will sand using 600grit and then probably put on a thin white topcoat I have in a can (rover white diamond or somthing my Dad had in th garage). Then I will get it colour matched and a few panel sprays made up.

new thermostat with bleed valve retrofitted from the old one

Here is my latest with a thicker carb spacer, details found
http://www.scimitarweb.co.uk/sgwrs/view ... 801#p70801

And here is what I found when I dissassebled the starter a few weeks ago..

As you can see one of the brushes was quite worn, I basically re-adjuested them, greased them and a general cleanup, with the addition of a new +ve cable its much much better now!!

1975 Se5a White.

mattm

Post by mattm » Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:50 am

HOORAY Back on the road again!!! :D :D :D :D

not so hooray, OD still wont work, dashboard lights dont work, need a ned low beam bulb, theres an ominous wheel bearing/axle noise, and it overheated and pissed all over yeovil texaco garage floor promting some interestinmg looks and coments. :( :( :( :(

Drove over to sherborne to teh co-op garage and filled up with water as it was still very hot, but then for the next 7ish miles to middlemash it never went above 87ish???? However it was busy in town and I did a fair amount of sitting in traffic.

I reckon installing the gauzes helped with hot and cold starting, as did using the metal outer casing from a shower tube around the fuel pipe as heat sheild has also helped.

And on the way back today it dodnt go above that either so Im hopinga as I had filled it with water yesterday morning it was just an air lock?

Any Ideas?

This is what my cooling system looks like NOTE: the red hose does not exist, but is what Ive seen on alot of se5's were the small hose under the thermostat on the manifold goes down directly to the water pump. On mine that exit on the WP is blocked off and instead a T peice in the hose to the heater branches off through the autochoke and to the manifold????

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

1975 Se5a White.

scimjim
RSSOC Member

Post by scimjim » Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:32 pm

mattm wrote:HOORAY Back on the road again!!! :D :D :D :D
well done
mattm wrote:not so hooray, OD still wont work
check electrical circuit (inc inhibit switch), check oil level, clean filters
mattm wrote:dashboard lights dont work
check rotary knob for illumination level (bottom right of centre console IIRC)
mattm wrote:And on the way back today it dodnt go above that either so Im hopinga as I had filled it with water yesterday morning it was just an air lock?
sounds like an air lock

water circuit is ok - later water pumps had top bore blocked or undrilled.

Jim King

SECURE DRY STORAGE FOR YOUR SCIMITAR

Current: SE5 (8Ball), TI SS1 (snotty), 1600 SS1 (G97), 1600 SS1 (C686CCR), 2.5TD SE5a (diesel 5a), 6 x random other SS1s.
Previous: SE5, 3 x SE5a, 2 x SE6a, 3 x SE6b, GTC, 2.9i GTC, 3 x 1600 SS1, 1300 SS1, Mk1 Ti Sabre, Mk1.5 CVH Sabre
Chief mechanic for: 1400 K series SS1 (Megan3), 1400 CVH EFi SS1 (Grawpy), 1300 SS1 (Number One) & Sarah's coupe.
CURE THE FAULT - NOT THE SYMPTOMS

mattm

Post by mattm » Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:49 pm

Thanks Jim, new I could count on you :wink:

I think it is either the inhibitor switch, or solenoid itself but most likely the former as I could see it wasnt being 'switched' properly when put into 3rd/4th but thought I had unjammed it, will have another look tomorrow.

The advice on the pic is what I really needed to hear so Im glad that, that is OK.

Steel timing wheel is really quite noisey, I hope it wears in and quietens down :!: Also need to re-do tappets I think... third time aswell, just cant get them right as still a bit noisey.

1975 Se5a White.

mattm

Post by mattm » Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:40 pm

Hi all,

Well Im now paid up to be an RSSOC member and am awaiting my exciting gumpfff to come through... long overdue I must add.

few quick questions, what is the best way to remove the center console? The handbrake is blocking my progress, Im assuming Im going to have to deattach the cable to give me some more travel?

Also just having a quick poke and prod at the radio (original), How does one remove it? it seems welded to the dash (not literally)... I want to fit my new spangely CD/FM radio.

1975 Se5a White.

mattm

Post by mattm » Sat Jan 22, 2011 4:32 pm

:mrgreen: Just been out for a drive...

HOORAY... managed to get the OD to work in 4th by gently pulling the gearstick across a bit more and flicking teh switch... Im glad that I now know its the inhibitor switch not anything more serious.
JOY.... for some reason the inside dash lights have decided to work.
THANK GOD.... she stayed just below 90 the whole way without even a hint of wanting to overheat.

And just when I was getting settled thinking ' I love this car', listening to the unmistakeable exhaust tone (wondering why on earth people put diesels in them :?: :?: :shock: ), clang, scrap, scap... rear exhaust hanger gave way.

Luckily I was near home again and popped into a neighbour for some wire as a get-me-home fix.

Oh well I do have the pipes and stuff to remove the mid boxes... not sure if I want to know though... I like the sound of the car as it is, I just want something a bit less restrictive.

1975 Se5a White.

mattm

Post by mattm » Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:31 am

Just a quick update.

Nice to meet everyone at the Somerset Noggin on Friday night, Berkshire Noggin here I come :D .

Removed the centre scilencers yesterday and sprayed over where I had been rubbing down the car with some rover white diamond top coat, looked MUCH better in the 5 o'clock dusk light, and have yet to see what it looks like in the light of today.

Gave the car a quick drive after removing the mid boxes, and apart from some blowing manifold joins, the car is FAST. :!: ...and quite loud.. :?

Its will be given the girlfriend test today and Ill see what results are.

Matt

1975 Se5a White.

Gillsfan

Post by Gillsfan » Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:43 am

Hi matt was nice to meet you to :) Any photos of the touched up paint?

Steve

What if the Hokey Cokey is what its all about

1969 SE 5 Manual O/D Rat Rod
RSSOC Jaffa cakes in a minute champion

Return to “Project Progress”