My first 5a

If you have a long-term project and would like to share/document progress, this is for you.

Moderators: scimjim, Lukeyboy46, Roger Pennington, philhoward, erikscimitardemon

mcmeat51

My first 5a

Post by mcmeat51 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:40 pm

Ive bought a 5a (at least I think its a 5a) off of Ebay.

I have viewed it, however am waiting to find a trailer so that I can go and collect it. All looks pretty good and in original condition from when it was bought. Long story short and without boring people here is what I intend to do from mid June through to august/September, and a few questions I wouldn't mind people's opinions on (I have searched around a bit but I thought this was may be a bit more concise).

1)Brakes. I need to re-do the brakes, it has vented discs, however what, if any cheap conversion/upgrades are possible for front and rears?

2)DIY porting.... Ive done a bit before on a previous car, but Im intrigued if anyone knows certain areas in the manifold and heads that can be addressed?

2 1/2)This would be done in conjunction with a JW 270 high torque cam, or any other on reccomendation. I found a V63 not to my cup of tea.

3)Suspension. Im looking for a comfortable but firm ride at a low height where I can make it over speed bumps without the exhaust falling off. I know there are GAZ,Koni,SPAX,AVO etc any recommendations/price guides?

4)Exhaust. Exhaust is good, however as removing the mid boxes seems to give good power results... however doesn't sound right and too loud... are there any other choices?

5)Fibre glassing, Im looking at widening the arches slightly... a bit like the turbo scimitar( http://www.scimitarweb.co.uk/sgwrs/view ... ?f=2&t=879 ), but not as much as the orange5's (sorry I don't know your name). I also would like to get a splitter like the one on the orange scimitar as well. Anyone know of a good DIY glassing book/manual?

6)Respray... Im looking at doing this myself.

I also have some 15x6.5 wolfraces with 205/50 yokohama tyres to put on.. but Im thinking of getting some tyres that have a higher profile with as wider footprint as I can get on the rims.

cheers

Matt

demonbluedays

Re: My first 5a

Post by demonbluedays » Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:45 pm

still have the 6a? :D

i got mine last august and can attest to student finances slowing EVERYTHING down a lot!

Tom "DemonBlueDays" Williams

1976 SE6 #141 "Mighty"

2009 Fox "King"

Former Owner Of

1979 Se6a Manual Overdrive "Link"

Formerly RSSOC #3185 - Must renew eventually....

mcmeat51

Post by mcmeat51 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:07 pm

No, unfortuneately that had to go as my Mum got a Morgan.... however long story short, I now have the ability to have a scimitar again and I always prefered the se5.

Yep I know all about the student loan barrier.

dead scimitar

Post by dead scimitar » Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:21 pm

Matt was it you who came to look at my se5a in primer last weekend? if so glad to see you found one. mine is still with me I rang the other buyer and told him I wanted to hang onto it since then I have worked most of the week on it and put the cbra seats back in and binned the mazda ones I have also fitted a by pass pipe from the carb the one that should go back to the tank but cant and routed it back to the fuel line the other side of the fuel pump with a jet in it supplied by Eurocarb. we think the car could be smoking due to over rich fueling washing the bores and will also be changing the oil as the garage may have put in synthetic oil which is not good. I have also got my electrician mate across the road to fit a new fuse box for me, an up to date one which means no more waggling glass fuses to get things to work. look forward to seeing you improving your car cheers Tony

mcmeat51

Post by mcmeat51 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:07 am

Hi Tony,

Yes it was me! Glad to hear your missus let you keep the car and that youve found some of the issues out... Yes I picked this one up today from a local bloke, only managed half an hour tinkering with it though, so i wirebrushed the airbox and painted it with hamerite to make it look a bit better in a half hour time slot.

A friend of mine has stripped his beetle, so it looks like we will probably help each other out with the respraying on each car.

After I sort the brakes, Ill probably do some engine work... as thats the most fun. Im toying with the idea of buying some cherry bomb's and replacing the mid boxes with them for more power. Im intrigued as to what they may sound like. Also some tubular manifolds would help.

Matt

mcmeat51

Post by mcmeat51 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:12 pm

Fitted a new battery today, 48Ah 380. Cleaned the points..which looked new, wirebrushed/wirewooled/electrical cleanered earthing straps and connections to the engine aswell as other misc electrical bits. Also put the car on blocks and took the wheels off...

As you can see, bushes are a bit past it!

So Ill need overhaul the suspension front and back... and then the carb as its setup wrong and the auto choke doesnt quite work as well as it should, Also the tappets need re-setting, so I may aswell do a complete top overhual when I get the chance.

SO new bushes all round I think... I think I may just replace them with rubber ones. I know the poly ones last longer etc, but Im under the impression that they also give a harder ride, which Im not such a fan of.

mcmeat51

Post by mcmeat51 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:42 pm

Did some more to the brakes today, Im thinking this must be the culrpit as the fluid was extremely manky and there was bits in the bore.

The bore itself isn't scored, however the entrance end is a bit corroded. I had wanted to get a new master cylinder, however GW and Yeovil Motor factors say they dont have any and tht its obsolete... which is a bvgg£r. So repair kit it looks like.

Coupe Racing
RSSOC Member

Post by Coupe Racing » Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:53 pm

no they are not ....

a bit of lateral thinking - see what else they are fitted to and look at that cars suppliers.

Make sure you know what bore you have.

Try LandRover and Transit for starters

Steve

Blessed are the Cheese makers

Better to be an hour early than 1 minute late

philhoward
RSSOC Member

Post by philhoward » Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:33 pm

As Steve says, generic Girling cylinders are still available new; cheapest option is one with a threaded fixing for the resevoir, then a resevoir for it. The tricky part is finding one with a float in it (for the low fluid warning) - now they ARE obsolete. Something very similar is now be available primarily for kit cars, as a low level warning light is needed for IVA (replaced the old SVA).

Have a look here:
http://www.cbsonline.co.uk/master-cylinders-44-c.asp

Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin
SS1 1600 Rooster Turbo; Sabre Mk1.5, Sabre Mk2
Previous: SE5/5a/SS1 No.1/SS1 Rooster/SS1 1800Ti/SE5a 24 Valve
http://www.ss1turbo.com
Never try and argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you based on experience.

mcmeat51

Post by mcmeat51 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:33 pm

AH!!!!

Thanks very much for that!!!

Im presumeing the lower number has something to do with bore diameter.. I assume that a smaller diameter would give a longer stroke with lighter preassure??

regards

Matthew

philhoward
RSSOC Member

Post by philhoward » Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:45 pm

Spot on...the original is 0.875", but they're not listed.

Merlin list the 0.875 (http://www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk/p541/ ... _info.html ) but its a bit more expensive! There may be a Landrover etc one cheaper though?

If the working area of the bore on yours is OK, then you may get away with a good clean and a seal kit.

Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin
SS1 1600 Rooster Turbo; Sabre Mk1.5, Sabre Mk2
Previous: SE5/5a/SS1 No.1/SS1 Rooster/SS1 1800Ti/SE5a 24 Valve
http://www.ss1turbo.com
Never try and argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you based on experience.

stocks71

Post by stocks71 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:22 pm

Nice lookin Motor. We could end up with twin cars as I have 15" wolfies on white SE5a too :D .

1972 SE5a GTE
2004 Mazda RX8 231PS - Broken
1990 Golf GTi 8V - Daily

mcmeat51

Post by mcmeat51 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:56 pm

AH! good good. what tyres do you have on them... by any chance, anyone know what sort of tyres the TVR powered scimitar has on it?

regards

Matt

stocks71

Post by stocks71 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:35 pm

Hi Matt. I am going to be running 205/55/15 all round with 10mm spacers on the front for the 7" wolfies. I think you mentioned yours were 6.5 wide. I suppose the offset will let you know wether you need a spacer or not?. I have the standard 14" wolfies too on a 195/65/14 which create the same wheel/tyre diameter ( nearly ). Not standard Cintarato sizes as I believe the original was a big profile size which is difficult too obtain ( expensive ).

Paintwork looks good on yours and the chrome too. Noticed the clutch master cylinder looks smaller than mine on yours?. Different type on later SE5a's?.

1972 SE5a GTE
2004 Mazda RX8 231PS - Broken
1990 Golf GTi 8V - Daily

mcmeat51

Post by mcmeat51 » Sat Apr 17, 2010 10:21 am

Well the ones I have are 205/50's I think atm which I think are too low profile... Im thing 225/60's maybe which I think can fit on a 6.5" rim. I DID use them with 10mm spacers on the SE6 so will probably do the same again, especially as they used to be on a coupe.

Paintwork looks good from 2 meters away, but as you get closer cracks and chips are apparent. So I plan to respray with an audi (Ibis??) white colour, and put satin black grill mesh behind any grils with the scimitar chrome surrounds/grills over the top of them... I will probably but a couple in the bonnet aswell, not only for aesthetics but to give a bit of ventilation. Im looking at lightly tinting the windows and finding a front splitter such as the one on the TVR powered scimitar or on Paul's orange scimitar.

Im also toying with the idea of widening the arches an inch or so, but I'll look at that nearer the time I do a respray.

As of the clutch MC, Im not sure, from memory it looks to be the same as the one on my SE6 so possibly? it does have quite a heavy clutch though.

Return to “Project Progress”