YHK 631S GTE resto

If you have a long-term project and would like to share/document progress, this is for you.

Moderators: scimjim, erikscimitardemon, Lukeyboy46, Roger Pennington, philhoward

speedy555
RSSOC Member

YHK 631S GTE resto

Post by speedy555 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:19 pm

Well, as I have posted elsewhere I bought the car unseen off ebay on sunday, and had my first real look at the car today!
It was described as basically a non runner - It certainly wouldnt start when it was collected :? , had 'some old bills' and a stainless exhaust, last on the road 2 or 3 years ago. £430

The seller said he had it running last week, so I checked & replaced the plugs, charged the battery, checked the leads, fuel, points etc....so seemed odd it wouldnt go :? Anyway, turns out the plug leads were on the wrong way! :oops: (No wonder he couldnt start it) Swapped them round and it fired into life instantly :D .... Had a real bad top end tappet rattle though. So off with the rocker covers, set the clearances - the rockers on #5 were hanging right off - and tried again. Fired straight up again, and sounds really nice :mrgreen: :P About 45lb oil pressure at cold, and 25 when it was hot (Good I think?). Let it run up to temp, and all seems OK, with the temp going to just under 90deg and the fan kicking in for 5 or 6 seconds at a time.

Felt pleased with myself :lol: so sat in the car & had a quick look at the history....Reconditioned auto gearbox 10'000 miles ago :shock: .... made me feel even better ...... and a valuation & inspection report from Graham Walkers about 10 years ago singing its praises 8)

Decided to have a poke about underneath now, and found the exhaust and tubular headers are all stainless, it has a stainless fuel tank fitted, goodridge braided brake hoses all round, and spax adjustable coilovers. Chassis looks excellent - all been painted at some point, and all the brake pipes have been renewed too.. Tyres are as new, though being stood obviously need checking closely...also with locking wheelnuts :!:
Also what looks like an aftermarket oil cooler, fitted on the mesh grille under the front bumper unless someone can tell me otherwise?

Discs look new - no lip or scoring, just some surface rust from 2 years stood still, and a quick blast up the farm lane proved they all seem to still work, though I will be checking them all over in due course.
Apart from the front fog lamps (Missing), most electrical items seem to work - lights,rear wiper,washers,heater etc, with the exception of the rev counter, and the indicators. The seller said he removed the flasher unit, but I dont know where it should be, or what type it should be? There are several wires etc hanging down under the steering column though if thats anything to do with it?

Also, on the relay subject, this is loose under the bonnet (And many more wires...) if anyone can enlighten me?

So all good so far.....
However the PAS is leaking badly so seems I need a new, or as money is tight, secondhand rack if anyone has one or has an idea of the price of a recon?
The drivers seat is loose on its runners and the base is very flat & squashed
The drivers door mirror base has disintegrated
Both glass to door seals/scrapers on the front doors are badly perished
Paintwork is bad (Used to be green it seems)
Wipers only sweep half of the screen and stop half way accross
The steering lock is broken
The manual choke is broken - the cable etc is there, and the rod down from the choke flaps, but nothing to connect them together?
Headlamp switch is a bit dickey
Front foglamps non existent!
Plus the aforementioned indicator & rev counter problems.

Im sure there will be a lot more yet :lol: but although I am using the search function, if anyone can offer me any advice on any of the above, or have any bits Im looking for , it would be much appreciated.
For the money, considering the extra unknown 'goodies' fitted, Im really really pleased with the car :D - the steering rack is the worst bit so far :cry: The sound of the engine the best :P
Really looking forward to getting it all done, subject to ££ and time of course 8)

Anyway bored you all enough now.....Dave.

Dave Speed

1970 se5 1975 se5a
Prev. ss1 ti / 68 coupe/ 77 & 78 6a / 9x 5a's / '85 SS1 /87 SS1 1.3/ 2x '81 6b's / Cipher / 3 x 69 se5 / rialto / Rochdale Olympic

5 series Registrar

www.ssgclassics.co.uk

www.facebook.com/ssgclassics

Fibreglass liquid coating technician

Coupe Racing
RSSOC Member

Re: YHK 631S GTE resto

Post by Coupe Racing » Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:37 pm

the small rectangle relay looking thingy in picture 3 is the flasher by the look of things and the relay looking thingy in picture 4 is possibly the voltage stabiliser - but not 100 percent sure - bet I get corrected.

You could do with a wiring diagram - thing the RSSOC have them ???? JIM ???

All from memory from owning a GTE SE6a some 20 years ago

Steve

Blessed are the Cheese makers

Better to be an hour early than 1 minute late

speedy555
RSSOC Member

Post by speedy555 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:41 pm

Right thanks! I thought the relay under the steering column was maybe the hazzard flasher - They work really really fast, but the indicators dont do anything off the stalk, so was thinking all those loose wires were for a missing relay? But Im here to learn :D Perhaps its my indicator switch, not the relay?

I have a very large (But pictureless) owners type manual in 2 ring binders that came with the car, so maybe that will help, but to be honest, electrics are my worst nightmare...and certainly wiring diagrams! Ill have a look though :)

Dave Speed

1970 se5 1975 se5a
Prev. ss1 ti / 68 coupe/ 77 & 78 6a / 9x 5a's / '85 SS1 /87 SS1 1.3/ 2x '81 6b's / Cipher / 3 x 69 se5 / rialto / Rochdale Olympic

5 series Registrar

www.ssgclassics.co.uk

Coupe Racing
RSSOC Member

Post by Coupe Racing » Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:45 pm

Hi

Im really rusty - you need a wiring diagram - they are very easy to follow

Sorry

Steve

Blessed are the Cheese makers

Better to be an hour early than 1 minute late

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

Post by Roger Pennington » Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:33 pm

Hi Dave, Well done on getting it running, Some initial thoughts :

Normally beside the steering column, attached to the metal cross-tube, you'd expect to find a relay for the flashers, a relay for the hazards, and the voltage stabiliser. The wire hanging down with the scotchlok looks ominous - someone's obviously been tinkering!

I don't recognise the relay thingy under the bonnet - does look like a stabiliser, but that shouldn't be there, you may need to try disconnecting it to see what stops working

The oil cooler may be for the autobox - they normally had one attached under the front of the sump, easily damaged.

On the subject of damage, the fog lights hang down quite low and are also easily damaged, I got fed up of replacing them and left them off.

The dip beam headlights aren't normally relayed, so that tends to fry the switch - a relay is a wothwhile mod.

The leaking rack is the most potentially expensive item, where's it leaking from?

As Steve says the Club do copies of the workshop manual, well worth having!

Cheers,

...Roger

....Roger

RSSOC member (since 1982)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Condition can be bought at any time; Originality, once lost, is gone forever" - Doug Nye

speedy555
RSSOC Member

Post by speedy555 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:04 pm

Thanks everyone -
Im not sure where the rack is leaking from roger, so decided to be sensible and power wash the old oil off the rack / engine etc, and try to see better whats going on.
Just had 10 mins on it today - decided to check if it had a steel timing gear on it after reading things on here..... Being a scimitar novice, Im not 100% but certainly looks like a steel one to me - but then again it's the first one ive ever seen of any type :lol:

Dave Speed

1970 se5 1975 se5a

5 series Registrar

www.ssgclassics.co.uk

scimjim
RSSOC Member

Post by scimjim » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:05 pm

looks metal (steel or alloy) - tap test and magnet test will prove

Jim King

SECURE DRY STORAGE FOR YOUR SCIMITAR

Current: SE5 (8Ball), TI SS1 (snotty), 1600 SS1 (G97), 1600 SS1 (C686CCR), 2.5TD SE5a (diesel 5a), 6 x random other SS1s.
Previous: SE5, 3 x SE5a, 2 x SE6a, 3 x SE6b, GTC, 2.9i GTC, 3 x 1600 SS1, 1300 SS1, Mk1 Ti Sabre, Mk1.5 CVH Sabre
Chief mechanic for: 1400 K series SS1 (Megan3), 1400 CVH EFi SS1 (Grawpy), 1300 SS1 (Number One) & Sarah's coupe.
CURE THE FAULT - NOT THE SYMPTOMS

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

Post by Roger Pennington » Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:06 pm

speedy555 wrote:Thanks everyone -
Im not sure where the rack is leaking from roger, so decided to be sensible and power wash the old oil off the rack / engine etc, and try to see better whats going on.
That sounds like a good plan. The favourite places for PAS leaks are:
1. the pump
2. the rigid steel pipes which can rust (especially where they're in the wheelarch)
3. the pipe unions may be loose
4. the rack seals may be leaking, usually dumping PAS fluid into the gaiters

The last one is the one you don't want.

I'd agree with Jim about the gear.

cheers,

....Roger

....Roger

"Condition can be bought at any time; Originality, once lost, is gone forever" - Doug Nye

speedy555
RSSOC Member

Post by speedy555 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:44 pm

Checked the gear again today, and definatley steel :D
Refitted the fuel pump, and changed a couple of fuel hoses while I was at it. I then decided to just make sure it would start again! So due to there being a piece missing off the choke mechanism, I jammed a small bent 5p size piece of scrap aluminium sheet into the top of the linkage to keep the choke shut. This as previously worked well, until I went under the bonnet to remove it, and knocked it down the carb :shock: :shock: :( . Needless to say Ive never shot back to the ignition so quickly to turn it off! Luckily, it had jammed half through the butterfly, so after removal of the top of the carb, it was carefully fished out!
I know it should have a filter on, and that it wasnt the best place to jam some ali' .... and yet I still did it, even though I know better :oops: A lucky escape!! Need to find that missing piece of choke mechanism on ebay or from weber soon :!:

Hoping to have a look at the inop rev counter tomorrow sometime :mrgreen:

Dave Speed

1970 se5 1975 se5a

5 series Registrar

www.ssgclassics.co.uk

speedy555
RSSOC Member

Post by speedy555 » Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:43 pm

Had a fairly constructive day today - Thanks to help from this forum I got my indicators and hazzards working 8)
Also got my rev counter working - First of all, the wire turned out to be on the wrong side of the coil, so after correcting that I found still no joy. Decided Id better remove the rev counter, only to find it had no wires to it :? The wires were there, so plugged them in , and it works fine - Question is why were they disconnected in the first place??

Found a 40dfav carb in the boots toolwell - Off an early scimitar if I understand correctly? Are they any good or worth selling?

Started to strip my steering column down - took 2 hours to release the mountney steering wheel, even with a hub puller :shock:
Never known anything so stubborn (Except the wife :lol: ) Damaged the boss a bit unfortunately so might need one if I can find one anywhere.
New steering lock next job, and also the column top bush has play in it - Are they available new still?

Thanks - Dave

Dave Speed

1970 se5 1975 se5a

5 series Registrar

www.ssgclassics.co.uk

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

Post by Roger Pennington » Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:53 pm

speedy555 wrote:New steering lock next job, and also the column top bush has play in it - Are they available new still?

Thanks - Dave
Hi Dave, Column bushes are normally available from GW and QRG - worth doing both while you're at it.

cheers,

....Roger

....Roger

Harpboy

Post by Harpboy » Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:10 pm

Dave,

Ahh the dreaded steering wheel removal process, very painful :( . My tip for future removals is smear some copper grease over the taper and only pinch up the locking nut as it has a seriously thick spring washer to keep it under tension. Works for me as i've had to remove several over the last few years for one reason and another - i agree the difficulty is getting it initially off i usually resort to slacking off the nut, then holding the wheel towards me (therefore under tension) whilst someone else strikes the centre shaft - a couple of swift accurate blows usually does it, else its a cse of whatever else works :roll:

BTW i guess you worked out that the 3rd large picture showed your voltage stabiliser hanging down and this should be fastened under the steering colum cowl (think to the right) next to where your flasher unit should be - both are fastened to to the lower fascia / steering column support rail which runs across the base of the dash and is mounted ether side by two bolts to the door posts/hinge pillars.

That black box looks like a lights on buzzer - you find that people fit a similar device in the rear light housing when fitting towing electrics. I usually remove these and connect everything back to base one. Prove the existing loom first before modifying anything.

Hope this helps,

Steve

Electrics can be fun......99.99% of the reasons why your electrical bits don't work...IS BAD EARTHS
1979 SE6A MOD

speedy555
RSSOC Member

Post by speedy555 » Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:19 pm

Thanks again everyone -
The voltage stabiliser type thing is quite big, and under the bonnet by the radiator...so still dont know what it is?
The black box turns out (I think) to be for the towing electrics - partly disconnected now! lol

The steering wheel was tight all the way off the spline - tried every method known to man to remove. The spline was / is damaged at the end, which seems was causing the problem

Dave Speed

1970 se5 1975 se5a

5 series Registrar

www.ssgclassics.co.uk

Harpboy

Post by Harpboy » Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:12 pm

Dave, i wonder if i'm mistaken about the stabliser and its actually an older type of relay unit connected to your otter switch with wiring for a fan override? Any spare switches you don't recognise? Sometimes i've known people use the overdrive switch as an auxillary light switch or fan override switch - worth checking whre the wiring goes to as if it is the voltage stabiliser unit it should be placed as described in prior post!

Basically you're voltage stabiliser will have a light green and a dark green wire coming into the unit & its about an inch and a quarter long similar looking to that picture you posted.

ATB Steve

Electrics can be fun......99.99% of the reasons why your electrical bits don't work...IS BAD EARTHS
1979 SE6A MOD

speedy555
RSSOC Member

Post by speedy555 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:27 pm

Well thanks to Geraint from here, now have a steering lock / key fitted, and new bushes for the column from GW. Been looking at the wipers today - They dont do a full sweep, and seem to have a lot of play in the wheelboxes I think. Ive tried the trick of turning the whhelboxes 180deg, but didnt work much. Strangley, the drivers wiper parks fairly well, but only sweeps 2/3rds of the screen, yet the bottom of the wiper blade touches the bottom screen rubber at this 2/3rds point?

The car had 1 new wheelbox, wiper motor and wiper rack 10 years ago / 12'000 miles ish, so suprised if they are worn already :? - I might just try a drivers side wheelbox. Anyone know if thats the standard mini type, or the one thats geared differently for the se6 ?

Also got to look at the washer pipes, as they are disconnected behind the kick panel somewhere....Bottom rad hose leaking.....and just building up to affording 2 new rear 1/4 window seals :cry:

Dave Speed

1970 se5 1975 se5a

5 series Registrar

www.ssgclassics.co.uk

Return to “Project Progress”