TD's Daily Ti thread - renewed mojo!

If you have a long-term project and would like to share/document progress, this is for you.

Moderators: scimjim, Roger Pennington, Lukeyboy46, philhoward, erikscimitardemon

AJL Electronics
RSSOC Member

Re: TD's Daily Ti thread

Post by AJL Electronics » Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:00 pm

Really crude estimate is that you need 20 minutes for a five second start. At five years old, you may have a cell down, check terminal voltage half an hour after stopping. Should be 12.7 plus.

Yes, we can mend your Scimitar!
Order your Scimitar parts any hour of the day at http://www.classicmicrocars.com (member's discounts).

Fancy a holiday in Gael, France? http://www.ianrhu.com

There is no point trying to teach a pig to sing. It doesn't work and it annoys the pig.

tony.idle
RSSOC Member

Post by tony.idle » Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:14 am

Battery rundown due to short trips isn't caused by use of the starter - although it draws a very high current it shouldn't do so for more than 2 or 3 seconds. Short trips tend to involve continuous use of wipers, heater blowers, HRW, probably lights etc and these can be much more of a problem along with periods where the car isn't being used & the small but continuous draw of clocks, alarms, radio memory, and battery self-discharge. A small smart charger left on while the car is at home is one answer.

Regards

Tony

Embrace your feminine side - RTFM

RSSOC 2332 since 1981
Past: 2x5A, GTC. Current: SST, Smart, Hymer Motorhome, Rialto, Robin, Bug, MZ Skorpion x2.

td99
RSSOC Member

Post by td99 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:25 pm

Lovely weather so put the soft top back on again :)
Said to swmbo ; "Let's go for a drive" and starter just went "click"
Put charger on and it charged heartily at 9+ amps :shock: :? :shock:

Presumably leaving the doors open too long had drained battery in conjunction with too many short rides and old battery. (Have same slow discharge problem with her car). Battery was 7+years old so got a replacement from Halfords at a good price.
Hopefully won't hear that awful "click" again...

Trevor - 1800Ti daily driver
1800Ti DET project, RAV4

td99
RSSOC Member

Re: TD's Daily Ti thread - Soft top reinstated

Post by td99 » Sun Apr 06, 2014 5:54 pm

So, last week, the dreaded click occurred again and after about 20 attempts the car finally started. Got home and parked on the drive and car absolutely refused to start after that. Well, at least it was on the drive!

Gratefully bought spare starter from Geert-Jan (who also lives in Eindhoven) and proceeded to fit that .
I knew that something was wrong when it proved so easy to manipulate that starter down past the inlet manifold and associated plumbing! They never normally go that easily. Tightening the lower fixing bolt proved impossible, the reason being that this was a starter from a different Nissan and the lower fixing lug had no thread in it. Luckily I had a suitable longer bolt (and only one!) and was able to fix it using that bolt and a nut.

Until now, I had discounted the problem being a worn starter, putting it down to having spilt petrol over it some time ago when changing fuel lines . However thinking carefully over the car's history, probably 95% of its current 45,000 mileage is built up of runs of less than 7 miles, so an awful lot of starting events.

I will at some point work up the enthusiasm to investigate the problems with the old starter motor.

Anyways, I'm a happy bunny again :D

As it was good weather, I did this on the drive, giving sufficient space to use a dolly to slide underneath the car . I had been given this some years ago but have never used it due to the confines of my garage. Immediately notice that my face and eyes (focus, wearing glasses) so much closer to the underneath of the car .
this dolly has wheels underneath its outer edges with a concave backrest. However, I think I will try to mount the wheels on the outer edges and reduce the height further so that my eyes can focus on the bits above me without having to resort to jacking it even higher.

1800Ti DET project, RAV4

Alan SS1

Post by Alan SS1 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:57 pm

Trevor,
our SS1 did most of it's runs around town when SWAMBO used it as a daily, but it was the starter ring more than the starter that suffered (although I did change the starter after solenoid went belly up) and a new ring when swapping clutch, or was it swapping clutch when new ring reqd :?
good weather brings them out, even persuaded SWAMBO to take a run on Sunday, afraid roof up tho as ABZ and 'inclement'

I have found the same problem (distance from car to face) when trying to focus on suspension parts when still attached to the car, you tend to find the wheel arches are rather 'fixed' and the parts in question are just 'to close' :oops:

SS1 1600 (AJZ ----), Regal 330 (VAV ---), C30 (SK 57 ---)& 480 (EVU ---)

scimjim
RSSOC Member

Post by scimjim » Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:10 pm

The first job I did on my Sabre was a damaged starter ring - QRG had a starter ring gear and GW had a complete flywheel for almost the same price :-)

Jim King

Current: SE5 (8Ball), TI SS1 (snotty), 1600 SS1 (G97), 1600 SS1 (C686CCR), 2.5TD SE5a (diesel 5a), 6 x random other SS1s.
Previous: SE5, 3 x SE5a, 2 x SE6a, 3 x SE6b, GTC, 2.9i GTC, 3 x 1600 SS1, 1300 SS1, Mk1 Ti Sabre, Mk1.5 CVH Sabre
Chief mechanic for: 1400 K series SS1 (Megan3), 1400 CVH EFi SS1 (Grawpy), Sabre/MX5 auto (The Flying Broomstick),
1300 SS1 (Number One) & Sarah's coupe.
CURE THE FAULT - NOT THE SYMPTOMS

td99
RSSOC Member

Post by td99 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:16 pm

Is the damage to the starter ring such that it prevents the solenoid/starter gear fully engaging?. (I thought they just lost the occasional tooth).
In the former case would just the solenoid take sufficient current to actually dim the dash lights? I would not have thought so but...

Of course that starter now performs faultlessly on the bench. Will warm it up in the oven when SWAMBO's out and see what happens then (all failures were when it was warm).

1800Ti DET project, RAV4

scimjim
RSSOC Member

Re: TD's Daily Ti thread - Starter woes

Post by scimjim » Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:51 pm

Warm it up by running it for a minute on jump cables?

My sabre had a series of rounded/chipped teeth which stopped where the starter was, every third or fourth switch-off :-) starter worked but made a racket on engaging.

Jim King

Current: SE5 (8Ball), TI SS1 (snotty), 1600 SS1 (G97), 1600 SS1 (C686CCR), 2.5TD SE5a (diesel 5a), 6 x random other SS1s.
Previous: SE5, 3 x SE5a, 2 x SE6a, 3 x SE6b, GTC, 2.9i GTC, 3 x 1600 SS1, 1300 SS1, Mk1 Ti Sabre, Mk1.5 CVH Sabre
Chief mechanic for: 1400 K series SS1 (Megan3), 1400 CVH EFi SS1 (Grawpy), Sabre/MX5 auto (The Flying Broomstick),

richardvernon

Post by richardvernon » Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:56 pm

td99 wrote:As it was good weather, I did this on the drive, giving sufficient space to use a dolly to slide underneath the car .
Years ago, when I used to do a lot of servicing on cars, I started using a dolly my dad had lying around in his garage.All went well until the day I was lugging a type 9 gearbox around and inadvertently trod on it and it then (almost successfully)attempted to teach me how to do the splits :shock: . Not really ever been tempted again.........

1985 SS1 cvh. Galvanizing is for wusses with no sense of adventure.......

Alan SS1

Post by Alan SS1 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:03 pm

Ref Jim##
a series of rounded/chipped teeth which stopped where the starter was, every third or fourth switch-off :-) starter worked but made a racket on engaging.
##

ditto, but did not always engage so it made for an interesting starting lucky dip/raffle and ALWAYS had to make sure we were second or third team in the auto-test relay race !

interestingly the ring that came off was machined on ALL sides, the FORD (truck garage) supplied replacement was ONLY the teeth machined not even the inner face where it gripped onto the flywheel :shock: and it WAS a FORD part, although now they will NOT supply parts for 'car derived vans' :-( which is a pain as they are five minutes away on foot

SS1 1600 (AJZ ----), Regal 330 (VAV ---), C30 (SK 57 ---)& 480 (EVU ---)

td99
RSSOC Member

Post by td99 » Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:04 pm

Couple of monhs ago I heated that damn starter up in the oven at 100 degrees C for an hour and of course it performed perfectly when tested. So I guess it's headed for the dead-spares pile.

Lowered the dolly and used it - big improvement!
dolly-small.jpg
dolly-small.jpg (111.17 KiB) Viewed 926 times

1800Ti DET project, RAV4

td99
RSSOC Member

Re: TD's Daily Ti thread - Handbrake jammed

Post by td99 » Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:13 pm

Got home after a nice blast on the motorway and smelt very hot rear brake. Further inspection: handbrake cable jammed and backplate heated such that POR15 had peeled off!
Cause was rust in the cable adjuster where it enters rear hub. Finally managed to free the inner cable up with some oil and much tugging back and forth. The cable in project car had suffered the same. So why/how does water get in to cause the inner of the adjuster to rust? It all seems pretty snug-fitting.
Will smear it all with copper-grease and hopefully it'll last some years... Job for tomorrow...

1800Ti DET project, RAV4

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

Re: TD's Daily Ti thread - Handbrake cable jammed

Post by Roger Pennington » Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:02 pm

I've had the same kind of problem, but in my case it was caused by the outer cable getting scorched on the exhaust when the suspension is compressed on bumps. This causes the inner cable to seize. The only cure is replacement.

....Roger

RSSOC member (since 1982)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Condition can be bought at any time; Originality, once lost, is gone forever" - Doug Nye

td99
RSSOC Member

Re: TD's Daily Ti thread - Handbrake cable jammed

Post by td99 » Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:17 pm

I’ve been wanting some DRL lights for a while now, as I dislike driving in daylight with headlamps on - spoils appearance of car and adds wind resistance – but it’s easy for someone to overlook a low car like SS1.

I saw these neat little DRL leds on ebay, same length as the SS1 front sidelights and bought a pair for just 3 quid.
Although they say stick-on with double-sided adhesive tape (supplied), the location I wanted to use wasn’t flat enough, so a mounting bracket required. Hummed and ha’d for a while and decided best way to mount was using an inverted “V” shaped bracket fixed to underside of bumper area below sidelights. Picked up a nice shiny strip of S/S 3 cm x 1.5 m, 1.5 mm thick from local metal scrapyard for 1 euro and cut a couple of strips to fit lights. Then took easy way out and rather than making extra mountings as planned just pop-riveted them to front of bumper. Used those handy “Expo” rivets that peel out like a banana skin and thus work on soft materials.

Looked in fuse box for an ignition-controlled +12 v and found heater fan fuse to be suitable. The fuse contact can be removed from fuse block to allow extra wire to be soldered on by inserting a watchmaker’s screwdriver down either side from above. Re-inserted it locks into position again.
Now that job’s complete, I’m thinking it might have been better to make those extra brackets to mount on underside of bumper. That would also have made adjustment of light angle possible.
IMAG0219s.jpg
Mounting plates, 1x LED and 2-sided sticky. Gap in end of plate to accommodate hidden wiring.
IMAG0219s.jpg (75.83 KiB) Viewed 794 times
IMAG0221s.jpg
Mounting plate fixed with Expo rivets which sink into countersunk holes.
IMAG0221s.jpg (39.73 KiB) Viewed 794 times
Surrounds of the lights are at present black. Silver ones on order and may make it look better. I’m intending to use these lights in the caravan too.
The lights (6W led) are really bright (and I already have LED panels fitted in the side/indicator lights) so I think I will be seen OK.
Attachments
IMAG02241s.jpg
Let there be Light!
IMAG02241s.jpg (70.29 KiB) Viewed 794 times

1800Ti DET project, RAV4

scimjim
RSSOC Member

Re: TD's Daily Ti thread - New LED DRL's

Post by scimjim » Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:29 pm

I'm not fan of DRLs (mainly because idiots drive in all weather conditions assuming that everyone can see them because their DRLs are on - totally forgetting that they have no rear illumination).

Modern cars with DRLs that close to the indicators do dim/cut the DRL when indicating - I'd be concerned that yours are too bright (another annoying trend with DRLs) and obscuring the indicator - making them more dangerous than any possible benefit?

I have a set which alternate white/orange - think I posted pics somewhere.

Jim King

Return to “Project Progress”