SE5 Project - Identity Unknown

If you have a long-term project and would like to share/document progress, this is for you.

Moderators: scimjim, Lukeyboy46, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington, philhoward

GavinR
RSSOC Member

Post by GavinR » Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:12 pm

Thanks - the last thing I want is a Q plate, especially as I have already proved the age of the chassis
I also didn't think they issued Q plates any more, giving new plates to kit cars, etc

GavinR
RSSOC Member 3513
1971 SE5a
1970 SE5 Project

scimjim
RSSOC Member

Post by scimjim » Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:28 pm

They definitely still issue Q - kit cars only get new plates if the majority of it is brand new.

Jim King

SECURE DRY STORAGE FOR YOUR SCIMITAR

Current: SE5 (8Ball), TI SS1 (snotty), 1600 SS1 (G97), 1600 SS1 (C686CCR), 2.5TD SE5a (diesel 5a), 6 x random other SS1s.
Previous: SE5, 3 x SE5a, 2 x SE6a, 3 x SE6b, GTC, 2.9i GTC, 3 x 1600 SS1, 1300 SS1, Mk1 Ti Sabre, Mk1.5 CVH Sabre
Chief mechanic for: 1400 K series SS1 (Megan3), 1400 CVH EFi SS1 (Grawpy), 1300 SS1 (Number One) & Sarah's coupe.
CURE THE FAULT - NOT THE SYMPTOMS

roymck
RSSOC Member

Post by roymck » Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:57 am

The identity of the car as it has a chassis is with the chassis and not the body . So you have a car that the chassis does not match the ID of the car it is fitted to , so how old is it ? Hence the Q plate .
However if you said I have a car with no ID but I do have a chassis number stamped on it and I can date the chassis to a particular month and year then they may have given you a age related plate .
You can swap a better body on a Scimitar and keep the same reg number from the original chassis , if you swap a chassis you should use the reg plate that goes with the chassis .
Fit a NEW chassis to a Scimitar then you keep the original identity , fit a S/H chassis and you are in murky water .
Never give voluntary info to the DVLA , only give them what they want to know when they ask for it.

Geraint SabreGTCse5
RSSOC Member

Post by Geraint SabreGTCse5 » Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:22 am

Reinstatement of an original registration number can be extremely difficult as you are finding. As Jim has stated Q is still issued for kit cars but also for cars that originate from several donor vehicles. I appreciate that you have proved the age of the chassis but that chassis number on your vehicle has been allocated its own registration number seemingly not the registration plate shown on the car KVL121H. As you will know in simple terms the registration number of a vehicle "belongs" to the chassis. I appreciate that you may not know this number but more often than not a simple HPi check would show it. It is likely you would have a better chance of obtaining the registration number for the chassis than one just for the body.
To obtain an age related plate the applicant would need to prove that the vast majority of the vehicle is from a specific year but you still have the issue you are trying to reregister an already registered chassis, it is not beyond the bounds of possibility that the number allocated to your chassis is a vehicle driving around (with a different chassis).
I am really surprised that the engine number was not taken as when I recently applied for a V5c(w) for a vehicle that had been off the road for 20 years I was sent literature stating that it had to have the engine number registered with the DVLA not a like replacement. I was fortunate it had its original engine but how many owners failed to update the V5c document when they change an engine which could cause problems further down the line.
I suppose at least neither the vehicle KVL121H or what ever the chassis is allocated isn't a stolen vehicle (more common than you think).
I think you are stuck with a q plate, may be you could try and apply for the registration number allocated to the chassis if the HPi check is fruitful.... unfortunately this isn't the only Scim out there that has mismatched numbers :w

good luck
Last edited by Geraint SabreGTCse5 on Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Geraint

Sabre ti ti, SST,se5, GTC, 6b.......

Better to be late in this life than early in the next!

halfpenny

Post by halfpenny » Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:55 am

I suppose the rules prevent swopping a Q plate for a conventional one held on retention? That would seem logical.

roymck
RSSOC Member

Post by roymck » Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:37 am

halfpenny wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:55 am
I suppose the rules prevent swopping a Q plate for a conventional one held on retention? That would seem logical.
Yes Q plate is for life , unless under extreme circumstances in some cases you can prove the age the original reg number entitlement .

Return to “Project Progress”