SE6a french wake up after a long sleep

If you have a long-term project and would like to share/document progress, this is for you.

Moderators: scimjim, Roger Pennington, Lukeyboy46, philhoward, erikscimitardemon

ericm35
RSSOC Member

Post by ericm35 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:14 pm

Hello, I just order to Mark the bearing timing gear kit today.
I spent the afternoon to finish disassembling the engine. First findings: The top ring on 4 pistons are broken in 2, 4 cylinders are striped vertically. On 4 piston holes, in the block (I do not know the word in English), we feel a wear bump at the top. More conventionally the connecting rod bearings and crankshaft are to change. As I work under the eye of a professional (he was'nt with me today) , I will see with him to take measurements on the crankshaft and the camshaft, to see if they are ok.
Now I have to look for how I am doing to fix these problems ...

Eric

Triumph TR6 1971, VW T3 1990, Reliant Scimitar GTE SE6a 1981
And in the past, Fiesta MK1, Volvo 121, Alfa romeo giulia GT, Spifire4, CGT6

ericm35
RSSOC Member

Post by ericm35 » Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:01 pm

Hello
Thanks Philip, I have received the alloy timing gear.

I did not have time to work on the engine this week, which is in a garage at 30km but I did some research. The vertical stripes in 2 cylinders are quite deep, 4 broken segments, make me think of 2 solutions. Either I put new liners in standard dimensions in the block and I keep my pistons, or I rebore the block to go to +060 for example. Putting on new liners looks expensive and the best (cheaper?) solution is probably to take pistons oversize and rebore the block. Are there any brands to avoid or precautions to take with the supplier? The last alternative would be that I find a block used and in standard dimension

Eric

gtcse8
RSSOC Member

Post by gtcse8 » Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:37 pm

Eric what size are your pistons now??.
I have a few New sets of oversized pistons and a few blocks in good condition, but shipping would be difficult.

Your options are very varied.

Mark

Mark Wilson. Garage sale everything must go. :cry: SE5a`s, GTC, SE6b`s, Triumph Daytona, Honda CB750 K7. Also on YouTube :wink: lookup RELIANT SCIMITAR V8 CONVERSION & billy no mates, Single Rat

DARK STAR
RSSOC Member

Post by DARK STAR » Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:51 pm

I have tried Erik Hofman for a new engine / block but he hasn't replied (perhaps on holiday).
Transport is not much easier from Holland, 940 km ...
Don't you fancy a trip to Brittany (only 230 km from Cherbourg, and Portsmouth from Yorkshire 436 km :roll: )

Chris Johnson
RSSOC 1979> Rhubarb SE6a V8 1979-1997 Dark Star Coupé 1989> Scimitar France 2010> Vert Soleil GTC 2014-2018
Scimitar France Website site Scimitar EUROPEEN

ericm35
RSSOC Member

Post by ericm35 » Sat Sep 21, 2019 7:10 pm

gtcse8 wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:37 pm
Eric what size are your pistons now??.
I don't know for now, the engin eis not at home

I hesitate to change engine anyway, because we have no guarantee on a new engine and I must confess that I am very interested in redoing one. This is the opportunity to learn, but if the cost of all parts needed is too expensive, I will probably look faor a new engine :(
I do not have my engine at home but I recovered the cylinder heads to clean them. I take this opportunity to share what I discovered. It's amazing but I really feel that the seal of the intake manifold blocked the water holes. When I scratch the material I seem to be the same as the seal, with fibers. I let you look at the picture.
I have disassembled the valves and the seats are a little damaged on the exhaust valves, there is axial mouvement in the exhaust guides. We will see if a break in the seats will suffice. It will probably also be necessary to put valve guides, I do not know what is an acceptable tolerance.
In short, an interesting restoration but full of surprise. I have no idea of the mileage of the car

Eric

gtcse8
RSSOC Member

Post by gtcse8 » Sat Sep 21, 2019 8:05 pm

Hi Eric
Inlet gaskets again :roll:
They cause so much trouble and lead to overheating.

There should be No perceptible play in the valves.

The cost of refurbishing an engine is enormous, especially if your reconditioner cannot source the correct parts and has to resort to whatever is offered.
Point in question is Gasket sets, there are Very Good "Low Cost" kits out there, but they are not offered by the majority of factors.

I am sick of offering advice on what works and what does not.

I will stick to Direct emails from now on this subject :dh

Mark Wilson. Garage sale everything must go. :cry: SE5a`s, GTC, SE6b`s, Triumph Daytona, Honda CB750 K7. Also on YouTube :wink: lookup RELIANT SCIMITAR V8 CONVERSION & billy no mates, Single Rat

DARK STAR
RSSOC Member

Post by DARK STAR » Sat Sep 21, 2019 8:19 pm

It's complicated - I just buy from Burton Ford to be sure of having the best parts at a fairly reasonable price.

Chris Johnson
RSSOC 1979> Rhubarb SE6a V8 1979-1997 Dark Star Coupé 1989> Scimitar France 2010> Vert Soleil GTC 2014-2018
Scimitar France Website site Scimitar EUROPEEN

ericm35
RSSOC Member

Post by ericm35 » Sun Sep 22, 2019 5:27 pm

Hello Mark,
Thank you for your information and advises about this gasket. I have bought a complete gasket set and the new gasket has copper plate with small (very very small) and big holes, and I found some messages about this question on the forum where you explain why it's probably like that, and where you give the solution. I will open up the holes in my gasket. Please, excuse me if I ask questions already addressed in the forum but it is not easy to read everything and understand when it is not his native language. However I read and understand many things in this great forum :)

Eric

gtcse8
RSSOC Member

Post by gtcse8 » Sun Sep 22, 2019 5:47 pm

Ok Eric

The small holes are a historic throwback to what the engine was used for before Reliant started using it. :evil:
It makes no sense whatsoever to restrict the water flow around this engine. :hand:
The smaller holes at the rear actually trap air underneath them, the thermostat that`s recommended for this engine has a small hole drilled in its side to allow any trapped air through, so why introduce complications to any other waterway? :w

I have looked through my parts and I can not find a replacement pad for your drivers mirror. :(
IF you do find you need any other Engine parts please ask as I keep all sorts, inc Over sized valves if yours cannot be made to fit correctly.

ericm35
RSSOC Member

Post by ericm35 » Sun Sep 29, 2019 6:28 pm

Some news for today

I spent Saturday afternoon measuring the cylinders, the camshaft, everything that needed to be checked. The camshaft and the crankshaft are in standard dimension and not worn. It's perfect.
The repairs will concern the block, which is scratched on 4 bores. It is in standard size. I imagine 2 possibilities, either I find a block in standard dimension in good condition and I put my pistons in, or I oversize bore and I find oversized pistons. If anyone has oversized pistons in good condition, or a standard rib block, I'm interested. Do you advise me to put my research of part in the section wanted ?

There is a transverse movement in the guides. The other repair will consist of insert new valve guides in the cylinder head, making a valve run-in and a flattening of the cylinder heads. Mark, I keep in memory your proposition for the oversized valves, I will wait for the opinion of the head repairer

I forgot, of course I'm going to change all the crankshaft bearings

Your advices et opinions are welcome !

Eric

scimjim
RSSOC Member

Post by scimjim » Sun Sep 29, 2019 6:39 pm

I think I have a spare block or two - getting it to you would be a problem and I would need to check sizes and condition first?

Jim King

SECURE DRY STORAGE FOR YOUR SCIMITAR

Current: SE5 (8Ball), TI SS1 (snotty), 1600 SS1 (G97), 1600 SS1 (C686CCR), 2.5TD SE5a (diesel 5a), 6 x random other SS1s.
Previous: SE5, 3 x SE5a, 2 x SE6a, 3 x SE6b, GTC, 2.9i GTC, 3 x 1600 SS1, 1300 SS1, Mk1 Ti Sabre, Mk1.5 CVH Sabre
Chief mechanic for: 1400 K series SS1 (Megan3), 1400 CVH EFi SS1 (Grawpy), 1300 SS1 (Number One) & Sarah's coupe.
CURE THE FAULT - NOT THE SYMPTOMS

ericm35
RSSOC Member

Post by ericm35 » Sun Sep 29, 2019 6:52 pm

Yes Jim, if you can check size and condition, it would be nice. But it's true, getting it to me is not easy ...

Eric

ericm35
RSSOC Member

Post by ericm35 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:21 pm

Hello,
Some new information
Thanks to Mark for the oversized pistons !

I just bring the engine and heads to the machine shop for recontionning and the man told me that there is default on the adjustement for the exhaust valve. I have detected this also. In french we call that "il y a du jeu dans le guide", and google translate by this is a game in the guide, I don't know this is the term you use ...

So I asked me if I can find new oversized valves with a rod with larger diameter. I can see in the QRG bookparts it exists. If I have oversized rod valve, then I will have problem with the upper plate rod guide, because for standard rod valve, isn't it ?
The other solution is to mount new sleeves. And the man from the machine shop told me that this is not enought place
I have read in the forum that the liners K are not reliable. However this is another solution

Could you advise me please ?

Eric

Old and Slow
RSSOC Member

Post by Old and Slow » Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:57 pm

We also say "a lot of play in the valve guides".
I think usual the solution is to fit new valve guides in the head and ream the holes to size. A better expert will be along shortly to explain why your machine shop man says it isn't possible.
Good luck.

Philip Needham
Ashley-bodied TR3; '54 Ford Consul; '55 AC 2-Litre Saloon;'65 850 Mini; '70 Ford Zodiac MkIV; XR3i
'81 911SC Targa, '64 Sabre Six

gtcse8
RSSOC Member

Post by gtcse8 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:35 pm

Done Dozens Eric, either Over size valve stems, which I told you I have.
OR the old guides are drilled out and new sleeves with the correct clearance hole.
I can have a look at how many OS stem valves I have left?.
They will not be bothered about the Upper plate, so don`t worry.

There are literally hundreds of sizes available.

Return to “Project Progress”