Heaven and Hell

If you have a long-term project and would like to share/document progress, this is for you.

Moderators: scimjim, philhoward, Lukeyboy46, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington

Nigel Clark
RSSOC Member

Heaven and Hell

Post by Nigel Clark » Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:21 pm

Hi Stu,

I feel your frustration.

Your best way forward without getting too costly is probably to have new brake pipes made by a garage or motor factor for you to fit.

Don't worry if the pipes get mangled during removal, they will still serve as a pattern for making new ones. Just make sure that whoever makes your new pipes understands where to use imperial or metric fittings. If they haven't got imperial fittings on the shelf, they are easy to find on eBay.

Nigel

upstart8s
RSSOC Member

Heaven and Hell

Post by upstart8s » Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:53 am

Hello again,
First I will apologise to all off you who were so generously helping me through my dilemma for not responding before. I realise now that I was under the influence of a bout of manflu and should have backed-off.
Back to the start, I have now stripped and rebuilt the rear brakes (but I was unable to replace the flexi due to a seized connector) I obtained some flare nuts from my local spares shop and, yes Roger, all of the threads were UNF. I had 2 new brake pipes made and they fitted without any problem I now have working brakes. The pedal is a bit spongy, so I will bleed them again shortly and the handbrake could do with a couple of notches (set to 3 notches then clamp everything up?).
I tried to drain the diff housing, but, both threads are seized. I am a bit concerned because there was a thick covering of oil on the diff housing, so I won't be going far before I get it up on a ramp to finalise those jobs and possibly get an Engineers report.
...Calm has returned...
Thanks everyone for your patience and understanding,
Stu

current...
1977 Reliant Scimitar GTE SE6a (VHI registered) 3000 automatic/pas UUV***S
1991 Mazda Eunos Roadster (import on classic insurance) 1600 automatic/pas J***XAN
2006 Vauxhall Astra Estate 1800 automatic/pas FM***TLO
previous...
1977 SE6a automatic VOH***S
1994 SS1 1600CVH manual B***RWK (#54)

upstart8s
RSSOC Member

Heaven and Hell

Post by upstart8s » Mon Mar 25, 2019 3:40 pm

finished bleeding the brakes, all good now. Managed to remove the filler plug from the diff housing, confirmed it was slightly overfilled with fresh oil (I think it must have been done by the garage which changed the shock absorbers on the rear axle). Next job: drive it...
Stu

current...
1991 Mazda Eunos Roadster (import on classic insurance) 1600 automatic/pas J***XAN
previous...

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

Heaven and Hell

Post by Roger Pennington » Mon Mar 25, 2019 5:34 pm

Excellent! Well done :)

....Roger

RSSOC member (since 1982)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Condition can be bought at any time; Originality, once lost, is gone forever" - Doug Nye

Nigel Clark
RSSOC Member

Heaven and Hell

Post by Nigel Clark » Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:41 pm

That sounds better! Hope you can get out and enjoy driving now.

Well done!

Nigel

upstart8s
RSSOC Member

Heaven and Hell

Post by upstart8s » Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:39 am

Thanks again for the encouragement. I have been on the road during the last couple of weeks. My regular driving is less than 40 miles each week, spread over 3 cars! Over Easter (in the sunshine with the sliding roof fully open) I went out for a lunchtime run. Without a thermostat, the temperature rose steadily to just over 90 degrees. I had planned to keep close to home, but the car kept-on opting for a bit further. After about 35 miles (a mammoth drive for my aching joints) I hit a line of queuing traffic. I had already turned the fan on manually, but the gauge kept on creeping-up. After clearing the traffic and getting back on to the open road, the temperature came down again. When the car had cooled down, I checked the coolant level, I had lost some but not all. I noticed that the airflow from the manual fan was quite feeble. I have checked with QRG and they have 2 replacement options, any suggestions?

Despite all the help and encouragement offered by Forum members, I have decided that I will sell-on the car with its' incomplete renovations. The car is basically sound but with a number of issues yet to be resolved:

Cooling is not yet 100% robust and I would hesitate to drive other than locally
Starter inhibit cabling is baked. I have a replacement mini-loom from Autosparks to replace this
Stainless fuel tank sender unit has a broken terminal. I have a replacement unit from QRG to fit but the tank is well over half-full

In addition to the above the car is 42 years old with lots of cosmetic jobs to be done, especially the bodywork and interior.
scimitar7.jpg
scimitar7.jpg (243.99 KiB) Viewed 1247 times
scimitar6.jpg
scimitar6.jpg (149.43 KiB) Viewed 1247 times
scimitar5.jpg
scimitar5.jpg (180.91 KiB) Viewed 1247 times
scimitar4.jpg
scimitar4.jpg (195.51 KiB) Viewed 1247 times
scimitar3.jpg
scimitar3.jpg (121.82 KiB) Viewed 1247 times
scimitar2.jpg
scimitar2.jpg (160.49 KiB) Viewed 1247 times
scimitar1.jpg
scimitar1.jpg (150.56 KiB) Viewed 1247 times
Just a few pictures, since I have not shown any before...

The car will be offered for a bargain price and will be advertised on here before going onto EBAY

Any offers?

Stu

current...
previous...

upstart8s
RSSOC Member

Heaven and Hell

Post by upstart8s » Sun May 12, 2019 7:37 pm

Hello again, yes it's me.

Last week I noticed that coolant was dribbling out from the water pump area. First I replaced the gaskets, which were both OK anyway, then I bought a new water pump and fitted that. I took the car for a test drive again (that's all I seem to do) and it went OK. Slowly rising to operating temp (no thermostat at the moment) and off we drove. My personal driving limit is around 30 miles, so that's what I drove. The temperature remained constant and I could hear the fan cycling as required.I drove around locally with some (light) traffic and turned the fan on manually as I was approaching home. Everything was OK, a bit of air being expelled from the hole in the overflow as I turned the engine off.

I came to the car this morning to find that I needed to add 600 ml of new coolant with no evidence of leaks anywhere.

I have come to the conclusion that it is beyond my mental and physical capacity to complete the project, so my next step is to place a listing in the 'FOR SALE' section.

Thanks for all your help and support over the last year...

Stu

current...
previous...

AJL Electronics
RSSOC Member

Heaven and Hell

Post by AJL Electronics » Sun May 12, 2019 8:04 pm

upstart8s wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 7:37 pm

I came to the car this morning to find that I needed to add 600 ml of new coolant with no evidence of leaks anywhere.
Perfectly normal after coolant work Stu and not a fault. You should find that is is stable now.

Yes, we can mend your Scimitar!
Order your Scimitar parts any hour of the day at http://www.classicmicrocars.com (member's discounts).

Fancy a holiday in Gael, France? http://www.ianrhu.com

There is no point trying to teach a pig to sing. It doesn't work and it annoys the pig.

upstart8s
RSSOC Member

Heaven and Hell

Post by upstart8s » Sun May 12, 2019 8:12 pm

Hi Andy, full of encouragement as ever. Well, I have just tried to write a 'for sale' post and for some reason it won't work, so I'll leave it until tomorrow. I was going to do a cylinder compression test tomorrow, so I will wait til I've got the results to post.

Stu

current...
previous...

scimjim
RSSOC Member

Heaven and Hell

Post by scimjim » Sun May 12, 2019 8:21 pm

Sorry to hear Stu.

Advert here and way, way too cheap IMO.

Jim King

SECURE DRY STORAGE FOR YOUR SCIMITAR

Current: SE5 (8Ball), TI SS1 (snotty), 1600 SS1 (G97), 1600 SS1 (C686CCR), 2.5TD SE5a (diesel 5a), 6 x random other SS1s.
Previous: SE5, 3 x SE5a, 2 x SE6a, 3 x SE6b, GTC, 2.9i GTC, 3 x 1600 SS1, 1300 SS1, Mk1 Ti Sabre, Mk1.5 CVH Sabre
Chief mechanic for: 1400 K series SS1 (Megan3), 1400 CVH EFi SS1 (Grawpy), 1300 SS1 (Number One) & Sarah's coupe.
CURE THE FAULT - NOT THE SYMPTOMS

upstart8s
RSSOC Member

Heaven and Hell

Post by upstart8s » Thu May 30, 2019 11:24 am

The Last Post:

Well there it is. I have just waved goodbye to my Scimitar, which is now on its' way to its' new owner AJL Electronics. The courier loaded the car onto his flatback a couple of hours ago and should be halfway down the motorway system on his way back to Gloucester.

It is interesting that the cooling question has raised its head in two other threads on the Forum. I could well imagine that the collection of 40 years of detritus in the galleys could reduce the volume and passage of coolant (I had done the Cola clearout some time ago) and I thought, at the time, that I had not replaced the full quota when I refilled it last year. As to the aerodynamics of a 40 year old design? some people have had no problems whilst others have been battling with this issue for years. I would tend to side with the maintenance (or lack of it) feelings.

Have I learned a lesson? Yes, I think the all-English concept is great. My first Scimitar (a couple of years ago) showed me what could be achieved, but age and agility was an issue even then. I sold the first one when the prospect of working on the brake pipe made me think twice. After a time of self-denial, I bought #54 a manual SS1. I soon found that the full-strength clutch was too much for my fragile knees. I replaced that with a soft (hairdressers' car) MX5 auto import (which I am still using).

As my 69th birthday was approaching, last year I decided to try again with A GTE. My plan was to sort it over the last year, then use it as my only car for a couple of years. Unfortunately circumstances dictated that I would spend most of the last year trying to resolve my cooling issues. I finally admitted defeat a couple of weeks ago and Andy bought the car within 15 minutes of it being advertised.

Will I have another Scimitar? Some of you may remember my quandry earlier this year when I was agonising over whether to give up my driving license on my 70th birthday. I renewed my license (mainly as an ID card) but I do not intend to drive extensively. My current weekly usage is around 40 miles (spread over 3 cars) and I believe it is now time to cut back, so the answer is NO, I will not be buying any more cars.

This will be my last entry of this thread, but I will still be lurking around the Forum.

I wish you all (especially Andy) the very best and thank you all sincerely for your help and understanding,

Stu

current...
previous...

Old and Slow
RSSOC Member

Heaven and Hell

Post by Old and Slow » Thu May 30, 2019 7:10 pm

Farewell, and good luck (from someone in their 72nd year).
Live long and prosper. :pint

Philip Needham
Ashley-bodied TR3; '54 Ford Consul; '55 AC 2-Litre Saloon;'65 850 Mini; '70 Ford Zodiac MkIV; XR3i
'81 911SC Targa, '64 Sabre Six

Return to “Project Progress”