G130 YCF sprint car

If you have a long-term project and would like to share/document progress, this is for you.

Moderators: scimjim, Lukeyboy46, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington, philhoward

Dcrosby13
RSSOC Member

G130 YCF sprint car

Post by Dcrosby13 » Sat Dec 14, 2019 3:52 pm

thats cool, I think it was a special order being Rover Snapdragon Yellow

I break stuff...... :w

Dcrosby13
RSSOC Member

G130 YCF sprint car

Post by Dcrosby13 » Sat Dec 14, 2019 4:07 pm

What are the odds of two competition cars being five units apart!

Dcrosby13
RSSOC Member

G130 YCF sprint car

Post by Dcrosby13 » Sat Dec 14, 2019 4:22 pm

Had a chat with Chris from https://www.efi-parts.co.uk/ last week, hes very local and has been involved in quite a few competition builds so hopefully most of this will be covered off.

CNHSS1 wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:40 pm
Emerald is updated regularly, M3DK was 12 years ago, K3 approx 8yrs ago, K6 3years ago and K6+ is sort of unoffically available now :-)

Most of the other ecus are based on 5yr old+ tech, but managing fuel and sparks hasn’t changed, so it's only added features that requires updates, twin fans switching alternately, leccy water pumps, VTEC cam timing switching, adjustable boost and switchable maps on the fly etc. Most have traction control and launch these days, some are passive some active (big difference in tech debatable which suits speed events best), datalogging (useful to see what happened, but doesnt stop it happening of course), parameter alarms for low oil pressure, fuel pressure, engine temps, and engine shut down if goes past alarm stage-- can save an engine. Full throttle shift, gear cut, anti lag (again fuel based, fuel/air based or air only windmill ALS) all possible with most ecus, but its the application of the ALS which is the clever bit. EGT sensing, closed loop wideband lambda.

All nice to have, but often beyond the tuner on a dyno, needs real time and effort and more importantly, understanding, by the user to get all working independantly (labourious) and then get to work properly in harmony (needs a bit more nouse...).

I spent half a day at Curbs testing, and one of the Brit Hillclimb Top 12 single seaters was doing launch testing. Car never moved forwrd further than 30ft, connected to a laptop and coily lead, all altering the interactions of the fuel, spark and wheel speed---clever stuff, but beyond many.

Dyno tuners are everywhere, ones that actually know their onions, less so. Ones that can apply ecu settings to make the car quicker over a lap--rare indeed.

Getting the ecu mapped for power and engine safety is paramount, most can do this to be fair. Mapping out boost spikes can take hours after the pub figures are achieved. Settings for ignition retard, injector duty cycle vs throttle opening for launch, that’s tricky. Setting traction control isn't just picking a setting, as the grip levels alter as road speed increases, as tyre surface heats, and that’s without factoring in the rapidly altering torque as boost rises.

Love ecus, but its not a 'bolt on' part like spring or new seat, its only as good as the mapper and then how much effort you add to it :-)

Dcrosby13
RSSOC Member

G130 YCF sprint car

Post by Dcrosby13 » Sat Dec 28, 2019 8:52 pm

We have had another productive day, the front cage feet have been tacked in place along with the new much lower seat rails. I have also been busy trying to figure out how to remove the horrid old immobiliser and turbo timer. we have decided to order a bespoke tank as the one shown in the earlier picture hung out beyond the back of the diff carrier and into the squishy bit which given the pictures of Bens rear end shunt this season we are keen to avoid.

Dcrosby13
RSSOC Member

G130 YCF sprint car

Post by Dcrosby13 » Sat Dec 28, 2019 8:56 pm

The immobiliser has three connectors

Connector 1

Thin Red joined to the original looms thick brown wire from the ignition barrel to the loom the brown wire is continuous and has not been split just had the insulation stripped back for this wire.
Thin Grey joins up with the original loom thick white wire this white wire goes to the ignition barrel the thick purple wire in connector 2 also joins upto this, it looks to me as if this thick white wire used to go straight into the thick white wire that heads into the main loom.
Thin Black, goes to earth on the steering column, remove the earth.

Connector 2
Thick Yellow connects directly to the thick white wire heading into the main loom
Thick Purple connects directly to the thick white wire heading into the ignition barrel

Connector 3
Thick Red connects directly to the thick white/red wire heading into the main loom
Thick Black directly to the thick white/red wire heading into the ignition barrel

The Turbo timer has five wires

Red taps into the thick brown wire from the ignition barrel into the main loom.
Green taps into the thick white wire heading into the main loom same as immobiliser thick yellow.
Blue/ Red taps into the thick white wire heading into the main loom same as immobiliser thick yellow.
Black Red goes to earth on the steering column.
Grey/ Red goes to the handbrake wire.

Dcrosby13
RSSOC Member

G130 YCF sprint car

Post by Dcrosby13 » Sat Dec 28, 2019 8:56 pm

It seems quite simple to remove, the question I have is, am I right? they both seem to share the same three common wires coming from the ignition barrel into the loom, thick Brown which has survived in one piece but has had the insulation partially removed so that wires can be spliced into it, thick White which has been cut and thick Red/ White which has also been cut. I have put a better explanation broken down by connector and wire in the pictures but in summary the immobiliser and turbo timer appear to be acting as middle men for the two cut wires and take power from the thick brown wire. am I right in saying its as simple as rejoining both ends of the thick white with each other and the same with the thick red/ white then re-insulating the tick Brown wire?

philhoward
RSSOC Member

G130 YCF sprint car

Post by philhoward » Sat Dec 28, 2019 9:25 pm

Dcrosby13 wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 8:56 pm
am I right in saying its as simple as rejoining both ends of the thick white with each other and the same with the thick red/ white then re-insulating the tick Brown wire?
Got it in one.

Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin
SS1 1600 Rooster Turbo; Sabre Mk1.5, Sabre Mk2
Previous: SE5/5a/SS1 No.1/SS1 Rooster/SS1 1800Ti/SE5a 24 Valve
http://www.ss1turbo.com
Never try and argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you based on experience.

Dcrosby13
RSSOC Member

G130 YCF sprint car

Post by Dcrosby13 » Sat Dec 28, 2019 9:36 pm

Cheers Phil and sorry for double posting.

Dcrosby13
RSSOC Member

G130 YCF sprint car

Post by Dcrosby13 » Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:20 pm

I have spent quite alot of time this last week sorting the garage out and throwing stuff away so that we can carry on working in doors through the winter months. I bought some dollies for the car which has made the small amount of space we have much easier to use and the car can easily be pushed around now, I suspect this will make refitting the engine and box alot easier too. Dads finished the new seat mount which hes made very strong indeed having watched a horrible video about crashing and has started modifying the exhaust which previously hung quite low down and was not 3" throughout which is now will be and should only hang below the floor by 2-3mm making a flat floor alot easier to achieve and I have removed a load of wiring, turbo timer and imobiliser included I have also been weighing up the aluminium front subframe.

image hosting

Dcrosby13
RSSOC Member

G130 YCF sprint car

Post by Dcrosby13 » Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:27 pm

Jobs up next are

- Fit bonnet pins to bonnet and boot
- Pull the old engine and gearbox
- Build up for the new forged short block
- Fit the fuel tank (arriving tomorrow) pumps and swirl pot
- Run the new braided lines down the tunnel and secure
- Complete the wiring tidy and relocate the fuse box + battery
- Test fit the new forged engine and BMW gearbox, take measurements for new prop and gearbox mount and remove
- Fit new engine with replacement Nissan box
- Run new engine in
- Fit new inlet manifold
- Build a loom and fit the standalone ECU
- Send it for mapping

If the prop and mount are ready for the BMW box pre season we will fit, if not then it might be a few events into the season before this happens, we are just keen to avoid missing most of the season this year.

CNHSS1
RSSOC Member

G130 YCF sprint car

Post by CNHSS1 » Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:27 pm

Got same dollies, like SGS stuff 8)

Yellow and purple... :W

Racing is life, everything before and after, is just waiting--Steve McQueen
6 time Class Champ, 2006 & 2014 SSSC Champion

RIP Batmobile, await the Rise of Dark Knight 8)
Sabre 'Light Sabre' 360hp!!

Dcrosby13
RSSOC Member

G130 YCF sprint car

Post by Dcrosby13 » Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:29 pm

Shhh me and Phil have the same taste :lol:

Dcrosby13
RSSOC Member

G130 YCF sprint car

Post by Dcrosby13 » Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:29 pm

yeah they are great and they were only £60, bargain!

MikeyBikey

G130 YCF sprint car

Post by MikeyBikey » Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:31 pm

Hmm, dare I ask for the video link :?

I thought, given our belt mountings are on the chassis, were were slightly better off than belts mounted to the seats :?:

Is we sideways yet...

Dcrosby13
RSSOC Member

G130 YCF sprint car

Post by Dcrosby13 » Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:36 pm

well competition cars should really have all the belt points tied back to the chassis anyway, especially given all the extra poweeeeeer you have now

Return to “Project Progress”