Tom "DemonBlueDays" SE6a

If you have a long-term project and would like to share/document progress, this is for you.

Moderators: scimjim, Lukeyboy46, Roger Pennington, philhoward, erikscimitardemon

demonbluedays

Tom "DemonBlueDays" SE6a

Post by demonbluedays » Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:48 am

So yes, it took a while but I now have a Scimitar!

At present the very kind Mr Phil Howard is stapling an axle onto the car so we can roll it around tomorrow and i can grin my face in half as i watch my scimmy roll onto my driveway and straight into it's rebirth onto the road!

Scimday minus about 24 hours! :D

Watch This Space!

DBD Out!
Last edited by demonbluedays on Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:26 am, edited 2 times in total.

Tom "DemonBlueDays" Williams

1976 SE6 #141 "Mighty"

2009 Fox "King"

Former Owner Of

1979 Se6a Manual Overdrive "Link"

Formerly RSSOC #3185 - Must renew eventually....

philhoward
RSSOC Member

Post by philhoward » Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:02 pm

Well, the axle is "under there" - will just have to be gentle as only half the trailing arms are actually bolted up...ran out of bolts! The ones that aren't bolted up will need to come back out anyway to fit the Poly bushes that are in the boot. The originals on those two arms are goosed.

Wanted by DBD..full set of rear suspension nuts and bolts...shockers are currently in place with two lengths of M12 allthread. 1/2"UNFx6" by general opinion...

I think the chassis rail rot might actually be the semi-circular cutouts towards the back of the sill channel...needs a damned good going over with a screwdriver and wire brush first though (plus a big can of chassis black!).

The engine isn't siezed - thats good (moved it a few degrees by hand on the belts), but there's no water in in, so you need to find out where it's gone.

Interesting cooling system though..will try and digest a few photos I took and work it out, but does have an expansion tank with its feed all the way to the bottom hose. Sadly the nettles/brambles in that corner prevented me from looking further...but i did check it moved - 6 inches! Will put some air in the tyres (assuming they'll take it) to move it as two are flat.

Should be on my way by about Midday, Tom - so at yours about 3-ish.

Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin
SS1 1600 Rooster Turbo; Sabre Mk1.5, Sabre Mk2
Previous: SE5/5a/SS1 No.1/SS1 Rooster/SS1 1800Ti/SE5a 24 Valve
http://www.ss1turbo.com
Never try and argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you based on experience.

demonbluedays

Post by demonbluedays » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:38 am

taken into account!

my phones being dumb and wont call or text (although the internet intermittently works) but i'll be asleep within the next hour (another night shift and im blown!) but just nudge me awake and i'll make thee a brew and become at least semi choerent when you arrive! :D

1976 SE6 #141 "Mighty"

2009 Fox "King"

Former Owner Of

demonbluedays

Post by demonbluedays » Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:30 pm

it's heeeere! :D

"captain keen" (thanks phil!) :p has his scimmy!

after some fun involving my car running out of fuel and the trailer being oh so fun with us we got the scimitar onto my driveway.

from what phil has shown me this isnt going to be a cakewalk but then again its far from a hard slog ahead of me. She looks gorgeous even under the grime and the smell inside OH! its loverly!

although my first tasks are:

bolt on the bits that need bolting together (rebush the trailing arms on the drivers side, refit the petrol tank etc etc)

find out if i have a water leak (im assuming i need to fill the tank with "dont open when hot" stickers over it?)

rebattery the car, as the old ones "a little gone"

first start the car.

then dry out the back seats and then wash mot and insure the thing! :D

P.S HUGE thanks to philhoward for all his work! (i owe him more beer!)

1976 SE6 #141 "Mighty"

2009 Fox "King"

Former Owner Of

Gemini Bob
RIP

Post by Gemini Bob » Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:58 pm

Happy you now have one Tom, this is where the fun starts. Top Man that Mr Howard, there are not many people that would have taken the time or effort to help you out. Post some pics and a wish list Tom as you never know we might have some bits laying around that you need.

Regards
Bob
HUE 1979 SE6a GTE Auto
If the cap fits wear it.
If at first you don't succeed, pay someone who knows what they are doing.
Scimitars Biggest Fan
Resto http://www.scimitarweb.co.uk/sgwrs/view ... =20&t=3377 Just for Geoff ;-)

demonbluedays

Post by demonbluedays » Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:23 pm

actually bob i think save for one set of bolts (that phil will remember better than me!) i have all i need with some spares to go along! im currently not sleeping (too excited and doped on caffeine) to see if the water in the engine is leaky or just evaporated.

But pictures will be along soon!

1976 SE6 #141 "Mighty"

2009 Fox "King"

Former Owner Of

demonbluedays

Post by demonbluedays » Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:41 pm

rain has stopped play! :evil:

but i filled the water tank to the safe level and now i play the waiting game to see whats what.

i'll take pictures when its not thundering down! i should have taken more of the dismount but both myself and phil were SUPERLY busy trying not to get killed by gloucesters impatient drivers. (then again we did hog the road for a few moments!)

ive had a proper little rummage through the boxes and i must say im quite happy that i got a good one! :D

Mr howard was even kind enough to find/get/got given some bolts so i can finish fitting the axle! (hard task done)

the chassis rail just looks crap, its not actually bad, paint it in chassis paint and i should be away!

think the rear diagonals may need a quick look at. but we're not sure until i start poking about tomorrow!

the watts linkage brakes, handbrake cable, fuel tank and fuel lines some wheel nuts etc etc need fitting and plumbing in, then i need a second hand/ new battery to turn er over (im guessing i'll need to ask for help on rebuffing the car into life on this) um the oil levels actually quite good considering it spent most of the last half decade with its bum in the air!

um....what else..... ergh....

oh i'm sure i'll think of something i forgot!

EDIT: oh yeah, getting a few admiring and wonderous stares already...do i have to get used to turning heads now?

1976 SE6 #141 "Mighty"

2009 Fox "King"

Former Owner Of

philhoward
RSSOC Member

Post by philhoward » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:02 pm

Steady on the Pro Plus, Tom!

Yep - the dismount was a little "eventful" - luckily the trailer height (tilt Bed Brian James) was just about the same height as the kerb-ish.

You forgot the brakes - I trust you found the handbrake in the box.

Given Tom was asleep when I called him (to say i'm outside and on double yellows..), he woke up pretty darned quickly!

Now here's a happy man:
Attachments
IMG00035-20090826-1601.jpg
IMG00035-20090826-1601.jpg (149.01 KiB) Viewed 6064 times

Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin
Never try and argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you based on experience.

demonbluedays

Post by demonbluedays » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:16 pm

oh christ i look like hell!

and not to mention a tard flashing my phone! many thanks again for today!

yeah i found the handbrake. a brick suffices until friday! but i cant stop playing with it!

the clutch was REAL stiff at first but a few good pumps got it semi loose, i suspect a good long rinse along the road back to south wales should cure that though. similar story with the gearbox, reverse is a bugger to get over to (of course doing this with clutch down) but once its there its fine. Got fears the pikey brigade may want to take an interest in it now, had a few stare at it earlier.

Plus on a side note, i think the cars too low to get off the kerb! (i can never do things simple!)

but thankfully so far theres been no water leak from the coolant tank in the car. I suspect it may have just gone with being sat for years?

and on the pro plus i've also had a coffee. It's dangerous and silly but if im hyper i'll stay awake for hours! :D

P.S what bolts are missing? I've forgotten! (blame the eh "hired help" that wasnt really helping!)

PPS? SWMBO actually finds the car "cute"! and she said GTE's were ugly extensions of the p.....yeah...

still VERY happy! just need to wait....about....30ish hours now until i can get my hands on a socket set to start work, first place i'll start is rigging up the brakes and then watts linkage followed by a tanking (assuming this even goes to plan!) then a swipe to find a "dildo" battery as theyre affectionately known around here! then after some fettling with the engine to make sure it's gonna fire give it a scream into life!

i also took some photos but theyre horrible quality, and i use the same phone as phil to take pictures and his came out spanking! :?

also finally i noticed this car has a MANUAL choke? even though the owners manual says its an auto choke?

1976 SE6 #141 "Mighty"

2009 Fox "King"

Former Owner Of

demonbluedays

Post by demonbluedays » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:17 pm

p.s did they rag you about the trailer when you got back?

1976 SE6 #141 "Mighty"

2009 Fox "King"

Former Owner Of

philhoward
RSSOC Member

Post by philhoward » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:37 pm

Nah - i was honest about the breakaway chain, and he said not to worry - top bloke. Recommendation going up shortly (Barwell Trailer Hire).

The bolts i've not identified from the collection that John managed to find are the one for the propshaft - but it was a handful and i may have mixed up what looked like the Watts Linkage ones with the propshaft ones.

Keep an eye on the fluid level on the clutch - if it starts to drop with "playing about", then you'll find a leak somewhere which may be the master or slave.

Important one - the axle probably doesn't have any oil in it. You'll do about 20 miles, then it'll sieze up, so check it ASAP.

As for the kerb height, you can get "Asphalt in a bag" from the like of Wickes etc. to make your own permanent ramps!

Manual choke isn't a problem - yes, they were auto choke as standard, but we'll cross that bridge when we get to it (bit like the Severn Bridge?).

Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin

demonbluedays

Post by demonbluedays » Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:28 am

hehe yeah although i only go eastbound! not paying 8 quid to get back into my own country! nuts to that!

she looks glorious in the sunrise! if im awake before sundown tonight ill get around to slowly putting some parts back in place. although its another 16 hours before i can get serious!

1976 SE6 #141 "Mighty"

2009 Fox "King"

Former Owner Of

demonbluedays

Post by demonbluedays » Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:11 pm

Ok. first pictures people!

The scimmy as she looked when phil pulled up outside my house!

and here's link a while later after some fun getting her onto the driveway, involving among other things a paving slab!

at the moment i've tried turning her over on my corsa's battery, sorta didnt work, but i think i may have blown a fuse or two out. as the lights inside the car didnt work, and the clock kept randomly stopping and all i got was a disappointing "click" when i tried to get link spinning over just to prove that it's not seized. Although im guessing i may not have had enough juice/too much cable resistance seeing as i had to run the battery from jumper cables just so it'd connect to the scims battery terminals. But after trying to start the ignition light went dead, but back in my corsa the battery spun her over at "fully charged" speed.

Any ideas?

i'm outside washing and polishing it. I may be some time!

1976 SE6 #141 "Mighty"

2009 Fox "King"

Former Owner Of

Yojimbo

Post by Yojimbo » Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:15 pm

I may as well be the first to say it. Check the state of the earths before anything else electrical.

philhoward
RSSOC Member

Post by philhoward » Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:58 pm

Poor earths are something that come to all Scimitar owners, Tom - plus unless your jump leads are seriously "meaty" then the volt drop means you won't enough power. If anything, you may have burnt out your jump leads.

Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin

Return to “Project Progress”