1978 SE6a rolling restoration project

If you have a long-term project and would like to share/document progress, this is for you.

Moderators: scimjim, Lukeyboy46, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington, philhoward

Wasman
RSSOC Member

Re: 1978 SE6a rolling restoration project

Post by Wasman » Wed Jun 10, 2015 3:54 pm

That's a great torque figure Mikey. Sorry I missed you yesterday. You've got 10 foot pounds on mine across the entire range.

Thinking about the vacuum advance for a moment. More power without it, but better drivability with it. When I connected mine (it was off if you remember?) I couldn't tell any difference at all.

I'm thinking maybe a programmable electronic ignition would probably get you the best of both worlds? The guys at hi-tech would certainly know how to set it all up.

philhoward
RSSOC Member

Post by philhoward » Wed Jun 10, 2015 3:59 pm

A programmable system will be better than the good old clockwork version when mapped. You might gain a bit of power on the top end but I'd expect driveability and economy to be the biggest gains if you fitted one - that's a generic statement rather than specific to Mikes car.

Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin
SS1 1600 Rooster Turbo; Sabre Mk1.5, Sabre Mk2
Previous: SE5/5a/SS1 No.1/SS1 Rooster/SS1 1800Ti/SE5a 24 Valve
http://www.ss1turbo.com
Never try and argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you based on experience.

MikeT
RSSOC Member

Post by MikeT » Wed Jun 10, 2015 4:38 pm

Hey Mark - I wonder if your vac advance is working at all then? Disconnect at the carb end, suck on the pipe, yu oshould then see the mechanism move. Hold your tongue on the pipe, and the mechanism should hold where it is until you remove your tongue.

Not sure whether I want to modify things as much as programmable ignition, I kinda like where I'm at with it now (for the moment ;) ). I'm not so fussed about top end power, more about how driveable it is, although a bit of extra fuel savings would be a bonus.

There's a few other things I'd like to fix first, like the whiny 3rd gear (which has come to light now that the wheel bearings are quiet, lol), and an oil leak (which I think is the rear crank seal) and a new windscreen, and new shock absorbers, and some paint correction, and... (I'll stop there I think, lol)

Cheers,

Mike.

1978 Scimitar SE6a - Project thread

MikeT
RSSOC Member

Post by MikeT » Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:49 pm

Evening all -

Not a great deal to report, as I've not done a lot recently, except drive it when I can ;)

I noticed on the way back from Curborough that the steering seems to have become heavy, and 'notchy'... gut feeling was something to do with the universal joints. I've read about them not being in line with one another, but I'm pretty sure it was fine when I reassembled it, so I jacked it up and lubricated both joints, which immediately made a difference! I've covered them in thick grease for now, but as how long it lasts is anyones guess, being that close to the exhaust. Can you get high melting point grease maybe? I remember seeing someone had come up with the idea of putting half a steering gaiter over them... this may be an idea.

Quick pic - nothing exciting though...

While it was in the air, I've also greased the trunnions and lower wishbones. I put a jack underneath the trunnions to prevent the pressure popping the cap off again - worked a treat.

I've also had a go a polishing the wheels... Steve and me went halves on a set of polishing compounds and mops - maybe it's my technique, but I've spent a couple of hours on it now, and I don't think it looks much different than when I started...

So I put it back on the car, tightened everything up, and took it for a test drive tonight instead, lol. Steering is so much better now - something to keep an eye on.

Cheers,

Mike.

(PS... I don't suppose anyone got a decent pic of my car at Curborough? I took a few, and they're all crap! Would be even better if Steve's Black 6a next to it was in the shot too ;) )
Last edited by MikeT on Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

scimmy_man
RSSOC Member

Post by scimmy_man » Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:28 pm

I have used mini gaiters on the steering uj a few times.

currently using spray grease for chains,

I've taken a vow of poverty ...... Annoy me by sending me money!!

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

Post by Roger Pennington » Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:10 pm

Yes, I use motorcycle chain spray grease too - it it liquid and penetrating when first sprayed, then the solvent evaporates to leave the grease. IIRC it contains Moly too :) (use a piece of card to stop it going all over the manifolds!)

Re pictures, how's this? (the car looked pretty shiny to me! :D )

I didn't realise the black one was Steve's car, I would have tried to get a closer look later if I'd known. When I took the photos I couldn't stop as I was rushing from the concours to the startline for the compie reunion :D

....Roger

RSSOC member (since 1982)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Condition can be bought at any time; Originality, once lost, is gone forever" - Doug Nye

MikeT
RSSOC Member

Post by MikeT » Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:06 am

Thanks both - I'll pick up some chain lube at some point.

Roger - pics look great thank you ) The paintwork looked pretty good I think - as I spent some time going over it with a Meguiars clay bar, then Autoglym Super Resin Polish, then the Extra Gloss Stuff. I think the wheels could be better from looking at others, but I'm being a bit picky I guess.

Cheers,

Mike.

philhoward
RSSOC Member

Post by philhoward » Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:16 am

Looking great, Mike!

I've heard of chain grease being possibly the best way of keeping the UJ's lubricated - which reminds me I need to do mine :oops:

Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin
SS1 1600 Rooster Turbo; Sabre Mk1.5, Sabre Mk2
Previous: SE5/5a/SS1 No.1/SS1 Rooster/SS1 1800Ti/SE5a 24 Valve
http://www.ss1turbo.com
Never try and argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you based on experience.

MikeT
RSSOC Member

Post by MikeT » Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:42 am

Morning all -

A few small jobs I've done lately...

I bought a pair of Lucas square 8's from Malvern auto jumble back in October. Hard to get a pic of them both in the garage, but they look quite nice...

I also bought a pair of stainless wiper blades from there, which are much nicer than the old black ones...

That got me thinking about why the park function on the wipers no longer works, so after a bit of reading around, I figured it was probably the park switch on the motor... here's the old vs new...

I then thought about stripping the motor down, clean and paint, and re-grease the tube and cable which drives the wiper wheel boxes on the bulkhead. Here's all the bits laid out...

I replaced the brushes in there too... turns ut the quality of these repro ones aren't too clever. I had to strip it down again, as the motor wouldn't work once I'd interfered with it - but on stripping, one of the brushes fell out into my lap! glad that didn't happen while in use. So, I replaced the original Lucas item, which there was nothing actually wrong with tbh, and all was good. (The reason the motor wouldn't turn was that I'd nipped the adjustment screw up too tight on the top of the body).

Here's a quick before and after...

Before:

After:

I also bought some led lights which fit into the rear of the doors... next project is to fit those and some puddle lights. The wiring is there (well, it was until I tidied it up back to the footwell area, lol) - but that won't be until the new year now.

Cheers,

Mike.
Last edited by MikeT on Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MikeT
RSSOC Member

Post by MikeT » Sun Apr 03, 2016 10:34 pm

Evening all -

Amazing where time files... 4 months since the last update.

So, I changed the old frayed choke cable for a new one... much smoother now -

I also swapped the exhaust back boxes over, as there were dents visible from the side of the car - swapping them over hid the dents quite well...

Last week I swapped the oil and filter, and used one of these...

I've noticed an increase in oil pressure at idle, and a slight increase when warmed up too - bonus.

Thursday was MOT day - pleased to say it passed with no advisories.

I took it out for a few pics then...

Sometimes the n/s brake caliper doesn't release fully, causing the pads to drag. I've decided to do something about this, so took these to Bigg Red in Worcester after the MOT for refurbishment...

Unfortunately, they're having supply issues with s/s pistons, but on balance, the existing chrome ones have lasted until now, so another set of chrome ones should be ok.

Paul the MOT man pointed out that the shock bushes would need looking at at some point, and I knew that the shocks were past their best, so I splashed out on these...

I've fitted the first one today, which took longer than I'd planned. I just need to work out how to set them up properly then. Nigel at QRG said wind the springs up approximately 1 1/2 inches, but doing that made the front end sit high. Admittedly it's early days, I only had one fitted, and they probably need to settle - but time will tell.

Interesting though, that the rubber bushes in them are Spax items!

That's about it for now, hopefully I'll get the 2nd shock on this week.

Cheers,

Mike.
Last edited by MikeT on Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

scimjim
RSSOC Member

Post by scimjim » Sun Apr 03, 2016 10:46 pm

Those springs look very long - what's their free length?

Jim King

SECURE DRY STORAGE FOR YOUR SCIMITAR

Current: SE5 (8Ball), TI SS1 (snotty), 1600 SS1 (G97), 1600 SS1 (C686CCR), 2.5TD SE5a (diesel 5a), 6 x random other SS1s.
Previous: SE5, 3 x SE5a, 2 x SE6a, 3 x SE6b, GTC, 2.9i GTC, 3 x 1600 SS1, 1300 SS1, Mk1 Ti Sabre, Mk1.5 CVH Sabre
Chief mechanic for: 1400 K series SS1 (Megan3), 1400 CVH EFi SS1 (Grawpy), 1300 SS1 (Number One) & Sarah's coupe.
CURE THE FAULT - NOT THE SYMPTOMS

MikeT
RSSOC Member

Post by MikeT » Sun Apr 03, 2016 10:52 pm

I don't know tbh Jim... I'll have a measure tomorrow night though.

Supplied by qrg however, and labelled up as 6a, so I'd hope they are right.

Cheers,

Mike.

scimjim
RSSOC Member

Post by scimjim » Sun Apr 03, 2016 11:28 pm

I have a nagging feeling that someone (Jim P?) said the traders were supplying "uprated" 14" springs which were giving a high ride height?

Jim King

SECURE DRY STORAGE FOR YOUR SCIMITAR

Current: SE5 (8Ball), TI SS1 (snotty), 1600 SS1 (G97), 1600 SS1 (C686CCR), 2.5TD SE5a (diesel 5a), 6 x random other SS1s.
Previous: SE5, 3 x SE5a, 2 x SE6a, 3 x SE6b, GTC, 2.9i GTC, 3 x 1600 SS1, 1300 SS1, Mk1 Ti Sabre, Mk1.5 CVH Sabre
Chief mechanic for: 1400 K series SS1 (Megan3), 1400 CVH EFi SS1 (Grawpy), 1300 SS1 (Number One) & Sarah's coupe.
CURE THE FAULT - NOT THE SYMPTOMS

Scimher

Post by Scimher » Mon Apr 04, 2016 12:32 am

...Well done on the MOT...

MikeT
RSSOC Member

Post by MikeT » Mon Apr 04, 2016 12:27 pm

Well, the springs are 12" as hoped... it must be a trick of the camera.

Thanks Geoff... always a pleasure when they pass with a clean bill of health ;)

Cheers,

Mike.

Return to “Project Progress”