1978 SE6a rolling restoration project - now sold :(

If you have a long-term project and would like to share/document progress, this is for you.

Moderators: scimjim, Roger Pennington, Lukeyboy46, philhoward, erikscimitardemon

Taggers

Re: 1978 SE6a rolling restoration project

Post by Taggers » Thu May 28, 2015 11:15 am

Interesting back panel. I could do with a new one. Mine isn't fibreglass, more "Cadbury's Milk Tray" plastic. What primer did you use?

Chris

1979 SE6A

AJL Electronics
RSSOC Member

Post by AJL Electronics » Thu May 28, 2015 12:08 pm

Epoxy primer if painting, otherwise on bare plastic, Vinylkote.

Yes, we can mend your Scimitar!
Order your Scimitar parts any hour of the day at http://www.classicmicrocars.com (member's discounts).

Fancy a holiday in Gael, France? http://www.ianrhu.com

There is no point trying to teach a pig to sing. It doesn't work and it annoys the pig.

MikeT
RSSOC Member

Post by MikeT » Fri May 29, 2015 7:42 am

Thanks chaps.

I used Halfords 'normal' grey primer, then Wilko's satin black over the top. If I drag my nail over it, it takes the black and grey off.

It's already been painted brown, so looks like I'll go the Epoxy route - Andy - do you have a link to it in aerosol form?

I also had a call yesterday from Mick at Hi-Tec, regarding the rolling road session - it's confirmed for the 9th June, and he has all jets etc required in stock. I'm really looking forward to that!

Also, what's the thinking on higher octane fuel? I put a tank of Shell's Nitro+ super-duper-whatever-they're-call-it-now the other night, and it does seem to run smoother somehow - not sure if it's placebo effect though tbh.

Cheers,

Mike.

1978 Scimitar SE6a - Project thread

AJL Electronics
RSSOC Member

Post by AJL Electronics » Fri May 29, 2015 8:11 am

Epoxy primer is two component, so although it can be put in an aerosol, it isn't ideal. If you have no spray equipment, use a roller for the primer. Just make sure that you prep the panel well though. Epoxy primer will stick like wotsit, but not if the substrate is unstable.

Always use Super unleaded. It does make a difference and is no more expensive per litre than using additives. Higher octane = bigger bang as a rule!

Order your Scimitar parts any hour of the day at http://www.classicmicrocars.com (member's discounts).

There is no point trying to teach a pig to sing. It doesn't work and it annoys the pig.

MikeT
RSSOC Member

1978 SE6a rolling restoration project

Post by MikeT » Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:56 am

Morning all -

Cheers for that Andy - I'll need to investigate further where to get this epoxy primer.

Yesterday was a good day. The car was booked in here at 2pm...

And after tweaking the timing and mixture settings, we had these...

The first one is with the vacuum advance pipe blocked off at the carb (was an experiment). It made more power at the flywheel, but less at the wheels. With the vac advance pipe returned to normal, it was less at the flywheel, but more at the wheels. However, it wasn't very nice to drive with the vac advance blocked off, hard acceleration was quite lumpy and jerky, so we unblocked the pipe, and it's really nice to drive now.

Bags more torque now, and on familiar roads where I know what gear it would need to be in, and how it would pull, it's totally different.

So, it's fair to say I'm a happy bunny - it's never been this good!

Cheers,

Mike.

(And we ought to organise the rolling road session there too - would be a good morning out).
Last edited by MikeT on Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

philhoward
RSSOC Member

Post by philhoward » Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:05 am

That's a lovely looking torque plateau (I was going to say curve, but it's nice and flat) - no surprise its nice to drive!

The main thing is that the session has made an improvement - and you also have a baseline figure to compare with in the future (which is equally as important). A lot of talk is made about rolling roads and it's not really about the numbers; it's a comparison tool mainly. If you have a reading of x bananas before, and x+25% bananas afterwards, that's a 25% improvement. Best bit is seeing the shape of the torque curve which is of the greatest importance on a road car IMHO.

Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin
SS1 1600 Rooster Turbo; Sabre Mk1.5, Sabre Mk2
Previous: SE5/5a/SS1 No.1/SS1 Rooster/SS1 1800Ti/SE5a 24 Valve
SS1 Racer
http://www.ss1turbo.com
Never try and argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you based on experience.

AJL Electronics
RSSOC Member

Post by AJL Electronics » Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:03 am

If you can't get the epoxy primer, I can arrange to get some to you. Just let me know quantity and colour required. You can have it tinted to any RAL or accept standard grey as you wish.

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

Post by Roger Pennington » Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:50 am

Peak torque over a 2000 rpm range, covering the rpm that you actually use for normal driving is great for drivability, so that should make it a very nice engine to drive behind :D

....Roger

RSSOC member (since 1982)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Condition can be bought at any time; Originality, once lost, is gone forever" - Doug Nye

JoeySully
RSSOC Member

Post by JoeySully » Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:52 am

what exactly did they do to make the improvement? Is it all in the Carburetor ?

MikeT
RSSOC Member

Post by MikeT » Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:07 pm

Cheers Andy - I may well take you up on that in a couple of weeks, thank you.

Phil / Roger... it certainly has made it much nicer to drive - I can't wait to get home and take it out again, lol. Thanks for the comments on the curves - being honest, they I don't really know how to interpret them properly :oops:

Joey... he adjusted the idle screw and mixture screws (they're now 2 turns out), but spent most time adjusting the timing in actual fact. The new carb has made a load of difference to the emissions too - 90 odd Hydrocarbons I think he said, and he also said that some catalytic converter cars struggle to get that.

In addition to the carb / ignition adjustments, the new rear wheel bearings, rockers being adjusted and so on have also had an effect.

Cheers,

Mike.

JoeySully
RSSOC Member

Post by JoeySully » Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:08 pm

it was pretty basic stuff so. Do some tuners replace jets also to get more power?

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

Post by Roger Pennington » Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:22 pm

It's perhaps a valuable reminder to us all, of how performance can be degraded over time by fairly simple things just slipping away from their optimum settings.

....Roger

RSSOC member (since 1982)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Condition can be bought at any time; Originality, once lost, is gone forever" - Doug Nye

philhoward
RSSOC Member

Post by philhoward » Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:29 pm

In short, the flatter a torque curve (which is the one that matters as power is a product of torque at a certain rpm), the "easier" it is to drive - flat torque = constant "pull" or acceleration. If you see a torque curve with a big peak in it, it will have a corresponding peak in its driveability - like coming "on boost" with turbo cars (diesels and early petrol turbos especially). If you see a steadily rising torque figure, it will feel like the car has accelerating acceleration - which is effectively has (discounting aerodynamic losses which have an exponetially rising effect).

Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin
SS1 Racer
Never try and argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you based on experience.

MikeT
RSSOC Member

Post by MikeT » Wed Jun 10, 2015 1:07 pm

Agreed Joey - all pretty basic fundamental stuff (although, that said, I hadn't got it right!). I was prepared for a much bigger bill to be honest, and was expecting replacement of jets and so on. He advised that replacing the jets that are in it would give an increase in top end power, but this would be at the expense of fuel economy throughout the range. Given how I drive it (i.e. very very rarely above 4000 rpm), it seemed reasonable to leave it as is.

Fair point Roger about the maintenance - these jobs can mount up, ad the cumulative effect can be quite substantial.

Thanks for the explanation Phil - makes sense, and also matches what I'm seeing / feeling with driving it.

Roll on home time ;)

Mike.

philhoward
RSSOC Member

Post by philhoward » Wed Jun 10, 2015 1:24 pm

..and enjoy!!

Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin
SS1 Racer

Return to “Project Progress”