Se5a Rolling rejuvenation project

If you have a long-term project and would like to share/document progress, this is for you.

Moderators: scimjim, philhoward, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington, Lukeyboy46

AnotherTim
RSSOC Member

Re: Se5a Rolling rejuvenation project

Post by AnotherTim » Wed May 17, 2017 11:49 am

Here's where I'm at...

I'd write more of an update but ITS SO HARD TO TYPE WITH ALL THIS RIDICULOUS, HYSTERICAL SCREAMING GOING ON. I'LL HAVE A SORE THROAT IF I DON'T CUT IT OUT SOON.

AnotherTim
RSSOC Member

Post by AnotherTim » Wed May 17, 2017 11:50 am

PS; I know that's not the correct fixing bolt for the cam wheel... I just used it to wind the wheel on. I am UTTERLY mystified how a wheel held true by a Fothergill Key can also wind into the angle of the crankshaft wheel teeth. It's like mystical magic that is.

AnotherTim
RSSOC Member

Post by AnotherTim » Wed May 17, 2017 12:15 pm

Okay, next update...

I realised what you meant by winding it on with the bolt... I don't need the cover on to use the bolt to wind it in. I wish I'd thought of that in the first place.

So the upshot is that currently my cam wheel is set back about 1.5mm compared to the crank wheel, whose teeth edges protrude forwards a little bit, like Esther Rantzen's.

That would worry me, but for the fact that looking back at the shot before we pulled the old gears off... they also had a very similar degree of offset. So maybe it's a good sign, not a bad sign...

Any thoughts most welcome.

PS
Roger Pennington wrote:(Still planning to pop over a little later)
It would be lovely to h̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶o̶v̶e̶r̶ ̶a̶l̶l̶ ̶t̶o̶o̶l̶s̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶r̶e̶s̶p̶o̶n̶s̶i̶b̶i̶l̶i̶t̶y̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶g̶o̶ ̶i̶n̶d̶o̶o̶r̶s̶ ̶f̶o̶r̶ ̶a̶ ̶g̶o̶o̶d̶ ̶l̶i̶e̶ ̶d̶o̶w̶n̶ see you Roger, but keep in mind I have a 3pm hard stop where I have to start being a dad and rushing around with fish fingers and sticky back plastic. Between now and 2pm though, I'll be out with the car.

philhoward
RSSOC Member

Post by philhoward » Wed May 17, 2017 1:04 pm

You've got about 95% engagement - I suspect that's fine?

Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin
SS1 1600 Rooster Turbo; Sabre Mk1.5, Sabre Mk2
Previous: SE5/5a/SS1 No.1/SS1 Rooster/SS1 1800Ti/SE5a 24 Valve
http://www.ss1turbo.com
Never try and argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you based on experience.

AnotherTim
RSSOC Member

Post by AnotherTim » Wed May 17, 2017 4:04 pm

philhoward wrote:You've got about 95% engagement - I suspect that's fine?
Not sure if that relates to social engagement on this here progress thread, or the gears.

:D :D :D

Anyway, Quick update. Roger stopped by to inspect the work. He was very impressed by the quality of my workmanship, the tidiness of my alfresco workshop and also the extremely high standard of finish on my car in general. He valued the car at £20,000,00 with the new timing gears on, and suggested that evaluation could go higher if the engine doesn't blow up when I try and start it.

So the gears are on, the timing cover is in the throes of having all the flaky old paint removed and I'll either leave it bare metal or paint it black. Debating whether to bother doing the water pump this week or whether I should leave that for another day and get it all back together for now.

It makes sense to do it, but I'm at risk of running out of available time, so I might leave that for another day despite common sense.

Nigel Clark
RSSOC Member

Post by Nigel Clark » Wed May 17, 2017 4:15 pm

Those photos suggest your new timing gear is indeed in the right place. If you have torqued the cam gear bolt to the recommended 40-45 llb ft, the cam gear will be fully home and good to go.

Nigel

scimjim
RSSOC Member

Post by scimjim » Wed May 17, 2017 6:39 pm

Looks good - don't take the water pump off with the front cover removed or you'll have coolant in the oil.

Jim King

Current: SE5 (8Ball), TI SS1 (snotty), 1600 SS1 (G97), 1600 SS1 (C686CCR), 2.5TD SE5a (diesel 5a), 6 x random other SS1s.
Previous: SE5, 3 x SE5a, 2 x SE6a, 3 x SE6b, GTC, 2.9i GTC, 3 x 1600 SS1, 1300 SS1, Mk1 Ti Sabre, Mk1.5 CVH Sabre
Chief mechanic for: 1400 K series SS1 (Megan3), 1400 CVH EFi SS1 (Grawpy), Sabre/MX5 auto (The Flying Broomstick),
1300 SS1 (Number One) & Sarah's coupe.
CURE THE FAULT - NOT THE SYMPTOMS

AnotherTim
RSSOC Member

Post by AnotherTim » Wed May 17, 2017 7:11 pm

Ha!

Roger literally saved me from that fate this afternoon Jim. If I had had a full day to work on the car today, the chances are I would have merrily proceeded to remove the water pump and that exact thing would have happened. It hadn't occurred to me at all.

If the weather holds off tomorrow, I'm going to gun full steam into a full reassembly and leave the water pump for another day. I want to get to the end of this particular job now. Tomorrow will be day three. That feels like more than enough.

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

Post by Roger Pennington » Wed May 17, 2017 7:35 pm

AnotherTim wrote: Anyway, Quick update. Roger stopped by to inspect the work. He was very impressed by the quality of my workmanship, the tidiness of my alfresco workshop and also the extremely high standard of finish on my car in general. He valued the car at £20,000,00 with the new timing gears on, and suggested that evaluation could go higher if the engine doesn't blow up when I try and start it.
If anyone doubts the above, I should mention that it was officially endorsed - my guide dog barked his agreement too! :mrgreen: Thanks for the tea, Tim :)

It's looking good so far, Tim's done well to dive in and overcome his initial apprehension. :)

....Roger

RSSOC member (since 1982)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Condition can be bought at any time; Originality, once lost, is gone forever" - Doug Nye

AnotherTim
RSSOC Member

Post by AnotherTim » Thu May 18, 2017 4:15 pm

Really frustrating day today.

I've got a narrow window of opportunity to do this work.

Whenever I get any downtime between projects, my wife sees it as an opportunity to fill the time up with other things I need to do. I have to fight the vague sense that she's actually doing on purpose out of a deep seated resentment of my car hobby.

So yesterday was cut short because my wife needed me to do the school run, and now today got cut short too, because my wife was not able to do the school run again as she'd booked herself in at the hairdressers.

But that's not all. She wouldn't let me have the 'real' car this morning either. I needed it to go and get a few essential things for the Scim but oh no, she needed it, so I had to spend an hour of the morning walking to the autoparts and nut&bolt and back again.

So then, because I work in the street, I get a constant, unending stream of passers by who want to chat. There are about ten old blokes who live around me, all of whom are really nice old chaps that on a more relaxed day I like to chat to. They are always interested in what I'm doing, but they are also very lonely widowers living on their own, and whilst I don't mind having a chat and wouldn't dream of embarrassing them by cutting them short or telling them I'm too busy, they do always end up telling me, for the umpteenth time, their entire vehicle history including the make of the various engines that were in the old cars in the olden days. This morning I had Wobbly Will and his history of riding scooters around England for the MOD, followed by Shakin' Steven and his history of three wheeler cars which begins in 1937 and ends in his 2015 Hyundai i30 (which is a very very nice car and he has no complaints at all, but it does have four wheels).

And the thing is, these are nice people, they are a pleasure to chat to at any other time, and for the first few times their accounts of the old days and their vehicle histories are interesting. But after hearing them 100 times, I begin to feel like I want to drop to my knees and cry. There has to be a diplomatic way of saying hello, having a decent little five minute chat, and then moving on before they get choked up about their wives passing away and how they live alone... which seems to mysteriously lead seamlessly into the vehicle histories.

So today consisted of:

8am: Rattlng through various client emails to hold off any sudden demands for my time today
9am: Walking to the necessary shops to buy the necessary things for the day.
10:15: Get all my tools out ready.
10:30am: Lift the bonnet
10:33am: Wobbly Bob's geographic history of the British Isles on an MOD scooter
12pm: Wave goodbye to wobbly Bob, look under the hood
12:05: pack away tools and run indoors because of heavy rain
13:00: Back outside and prep for timing cover refit
13:05: Shakin Steven and his entire history of vehicle ownership from his 1937 Matchless through a series of Reliant Rialtos and on to the Hyundai i30 (which is a very very nice car and he has no complaints at all, but it does have four wheels)
14:30pm: Wave goodbye to Shakin Steven. Rain. Back indoors
14:45: Back out, prep the surfaces.
14:55: crank the cambolt, slap the hylomar and gaskets on, throw the cover and a few bolts in the general direction of the engine, attempt to refit the timing pulley, which didn't want to go back in (Roger advised me about centering the three timing cover notches around the crankshaft end, and I think that's the problem although I did eventually manage to wind the bolt in so we'll have to see)
15:00: Abandon all hope of actually getting anything done properly, slam the hood, pack the tools away, run to school to collect kids.

In a very unsatisfying way though, through all that I do seem to have managed to oil the new timing gears, clean the surfaces, hylomar the gaskets/surfaces, get the timing cover back on with all the cover bolts back in (time will tell how successfully I have done this as I had no time for my usual "worrying and screaming" process that I like to use) and I have managed to screw the timing pulley back on, but I haven't torqued it properly just yet.

I still have the sump bolts to put back, the cross brace to refit, and my home made rad cowling which was going to be painted while it was out, as was the timing cover, but these are things I've had to sacrifice in an attempt to get this finished. I also haven't changed the timing cover oil seal, so I am praying the old one is good for a while longer. I looks to be in good shape.

No chance of getting the water pump done now until my next period of downtime.

What a frustrating couple of days this has been. Not the car or the process, just the lack of time available. In theory I have entire days with no other obligations, but in reality they evaporate like magic before my very eyes.

Nigel Clark
RSSOC Member

Post by Nigel Clark » Thu May 18, 2017 4:40 pm

Tim,

I'm sure we all know how you feel. I often work on technical features for classic magazines in my garage. So there's a camera on a tripod, lots of lights pointing under the bonnet and my neighbours, who are great any other time, still love to come in for a good long chat. They know what I do for a living but somehow they don't appreciate that I'm working, usually against a tight deadline.

A day, or even half a day working on the car uninterrupted is simply bliss!

Nigel

Corky
RSSOC Member

Post by Corky » Thu May 18, 2017 4:54 pm

Tim your post has brightened my day, I even laughed out loud !

Over the years I have had exactly the same issues, and it is incredibly frustrating. I usually work with my garage door open, which is approximately one car length away from the footpath. I too have what seems like a never ending stream of old boys that see me up to my eyeballs in oil and decide to pop in to chew the fat and tell me a story of the time they replaced a widget on their 1937 wire wheeled whatever. It's nice to chat for a while and hear their stories, but when you're on a time limited mission it's a pain.

Mind you, I have learnt quite a bit about the Brough Superior Motorcycle, The RAF 1945 - 1965, How to make your own springs, Why modern cars are "a load of crap", Why modern cars are "fantastic" etc etc etc etc...... :lol:

Stick with it Tim, you'll get there in the end.

Steve
Current:- SS1 Ti RG sprint car. VW Touareg 3.0 V6
Prev:- Sabre Ti, 3xSS1 Ti, SS1 16v Turbo Racer, 5XGTC, 2XSE6B, 2XSE5A, 2XV6 Coupe, Sabre 6
Project Threads & YouTube

“It's not the winning, it's the taking apart that counts"

The Dog
RSSOC Member

Post by The Dog » Thu May 18, 2017 5:31 pm

Ha ha great post - in terms of the wife - I've got "one of them" too - best laid plans, entries of all the lovely car events in the calendar in advance, dreaming of spending days preparing the car for the "car park" audiences, cutting/polishing/fitting parts that I've have a shed full of..........but no time as my time has been booked up in advance BY MY WIFE without communication mostly with kids going to football/rugby/athletics/tennis (which of course I enjoy and take ownership for) but absolutely no time allowed for the one thing I have an interest in - the Scimitar - still she'll be miffed soon when the new Scimitar turns up - that makes 2x.....and also when I announce that I want a tandem garage extension to house the 2nd car......probably at this point I will post another message of my impending divorce............I love her really

You are NOT alone:)

Nigel (The Dog) - 1982 SE6B Auto/BMW 5 series F60 Touring/Merc W212 E350CDi Sport Estate

AnotherTim
RSSOC Member

Post by AnotherTim » Thu May 18, 2017 6:36 pm

Thanks fellas, sorry for the rant, but I needed to get it off my chest and it's a relief to know I'm not alone.

I've decided it would be stupid to not change the water pump, so I have ordered the wife not to book me for anything at all tomorrow, and if the weather holds I'll get that done. When I see anyone approaching, my mobile phone is going to be pressed against my ear for a brief fictional phone call with Mr Fothergill, a very important made-up client of mine who has some fictional questions about Woodruff keys that demand complex answers.

AnotherTim
RSSOC Member

Post by AnotherTim » Thu May 18, 2017 6:47 pm

The Dog wrote:but no time as my time has been booked up in advance BY MY WIFE without communication

Haha, that's exactly it. They book everything up to three years in advance. Wednesday's inconveniences were at least know to me. So last night when she casually mentioned today's inconvenience, I protested as loudly as she will allow that it wasn't arranged. "It's on the calendar" she casually retorted from her vantage point. "It jolly well isn't" I said (or something similar), and promptly marched into the kitchen to collect and present the calendar for her to inspect.

She had followed me in though, almost as if she was anticipating how this was going to play out. "Here" I said, "Nothing on there at all".

"No, that's the family calendar" she said, eyes closed...

"It's on my calendar, here" and she opened a cupboard that I didn't even know we had, revealing a second calendar attached to the inside of the door.

So the upshot is, I'm now battling two long range calendars set in a classic pincer formation, and I don't even have a clear idea about what might happen next week.

I think some women need temporal blinkers fitted. Myopascopes that curtail their forward planning and bring it back in line with human planning capabilities.

Return to “Project Progress”