Se5a Rolling rejuvenation project

If you have a long-term project and would like to share/document progress, this is for you.

Moderators: scimjim, philhoward, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington, Lukeyboy46

AnotherTim

Re: Se5a Rolling rejuvenation project

Post by AnotherTim » Tue May 16, 2017 10:30 pm

Hehe, cheers. I have absolutely nothing valuable to contribute to a forum such as this. All I can do is take (advice, help, experience, information) so I figure the least I can do is to try and make my demands for attention vaguely entertaining for a few. I have a lifetime's experience at being a buffoon, which has taught me that for every person who appreciates buffoonery, there are at least two close by who get really wound up by it, so I don't think the Edinburgh Fringe is going to be on the cards unless I ever find a way to tip the odds more in my favour.

====
By the way Andy, looking back I realise you had already said "Yes Tim" in response to my request for clarification on the Woodruff pin earlier on. I missed that at the time as my phone screen was covered in oil. Sorry, and thanks for answering it a second time much bigger!

AnotherTim

Post by AnotherTim » Tue May 16, 2017 10:47 pm

AJL Electronics wrote:I had an Edinburgh fringe once. Nothing a pudding bowl and my mum couldn't sort out though.
When I was about 9, I reached into the bathroom cabinet for what I thought was a comb. We were off to a relative's wedding and my mum shouted up the stairs "COMB YOUR HAIR BEFORE YOU COME DOWN" so I grabbed this comb and started strafing... Only it wasn't a comb, it was a strange contraption that sandwiched a couple of razor blades between two combs that we're hinged at one end. Every time I tried to comb down a lick of hair, it fell off.

I kept going for a while, in a state of disbelief, hoping that it would all turn out alright in the end. By the time I'd done one side the penny dropped that this wasn't going to get any better.

I got a good old fashioned paddling for that when I went downstairs, despite adjusting the angle of my head to compensate. My mum was furious. My dad refused to look at me until it had grown back.

Five years later, Phil Oakey got to number 1 with The Human League and you had to pay somebody good money to cut your hair like that.

Mr Bridger

Post by Mr Bridger » Wed May 17, 2017 7:36 am

AnotherTim wrote: I have absolutely nothing valuable to contribute to a forum such as this.
You never know. One day someone might ask "What's a Woodruff key?" and you'll be away.... :wink:

1975 SE5a - Daily Driver
1970 Triumph Vitesse
1972 VW Camper Van
1965 Sunbeam Tiger

AnotherTim

Post by AnotherTim » Wed May 17, 2017 8:04 am

Oh don't worry about that... I've already mentioned it in another thread as a possible cause of problems. :D

The trouble was, when I googled Woodruff Key, I got lots of shots of small, loose semi-crescents of metal that looked like they merely sat impermanently inside crudely cut grooves and would fall out...

... so when I looked at the long, crisp, permanent-seeming notch on the underside of my camshaft, it didn't seem to be the same thing at all as it looked to me like it was machined in the metal.

In hindsight I should have realised. You can't mill a perfectly smooth cylinder of metal but leave a notch sticking out!

AnotherTim

Post by AnotherTim » Wed May 17, 2017 8:53 am

ONE MORE QUESTION!

Am I missing something regarding the removal of the smaller chunkier wheel? It really wont budge at all, so I'm wondering if there is some kind of locking mechanism hidden away that needs to be undone/removed before this b***dy thing will move.

scimjim
RSSOC Member

Post by scimjim » Wed May 17, 2017 9:07 am

Nope - I normally use two screwdrivers. Had to use a puller on Steve's car though.

Jim King

Current: SE5 (8Ball), TI SS1 (snotty), 1600 SS1 (G97), 1600 SS1 (C686CCR), 2.5TD SE5a (diesel 5a), 6 x random other SS1s.
Previous: SE5, 3 x SE5a, 2 x SE6a, 3 x SE6b, GTC, 2.9i GTC, 3 x 1600 SS1, 1300 SS1, Mk1 Ti Sabre, Mk1.5 CVH Sabre
Chief mechanic for: 1400 K series SS1 (Megan3), 1400 CVH EFi SS1 (Grawpy), Sabre/MX5 auto (The Flying Broomstick),
1300 SS1 (Number One) & Sarah's coupe.
CURE THE FAULT - NOT THE SYMPTOMS

AnotherTim

Post by AnotherTim » Wed May 17, 2017 10:18 am

It's off. I had to go and buy a better puller. My buddy brought one with him last night but it wasn't the right dimensions at all.

So... I've got the timing gears off. I'm at the very bottom of the valley now.

The only way is up.

Or possibly, further down.

philhoward
RSSOC Member

Post by philhoward » Wed May 17, 2017 10:26 am

Just make sure you have no bits left over and you should be fine ;)

Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin
SS1 1600 Rooster Turbo; Sabre Mk1.5, Sabre Mk2
Previous: SE5/5a/SS1 No.1/SS1 Rooster/SS1 1800Ti/SE5a 24 Valve
http://www.ss1turbo.com
Never try and argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you based on experience.

Mr Bridger

Post by Mr Bridger » Wed May 17, 2017 10:33 am

Well done! You're gettin gthere now.

Something you might like to check before you put it all back together again; on the metal cover that goes over the gears, just place a straight edge/rule along the mating face. You’re looking to see if its flat or whether its been over tightened in the past resulting in slight distortion around the bolt holes. If it is then a few gentle taps with a small hammer will lower the likelihood of oil leaks (note I said lower, not remove…)

1975 SE5a - Daily Driver
1970 Triumph Vitesse
1972 VW Camper Van
1965 Sunbeam Tiger

AnotherTim

Post by AnotherTim » Wed May 17, 2017 11:04 am

Thanks Mr Bridger. I'm glad your suggestion was what you said, and not something like....
Mr Bridger wrote:Something you might like to check before you put it all back together again; make sure the Gruber Socket hasn't fallen into the Fermi hole and don't forget you have to splice the Poddle Juncture and reseal it with Drooling wax"
or some such.

Anyway, I have one more question now, just to be ultra careful, and it's actually two questions but I'm hoping nobody notices that.

Question 1 (part a)

The lower, smaller wheel... does it knock all the way back on the crankshaft to the broad shoulder behind it? The reason I ask is that there is a piece of the block casting that looks like it's going to be mighty close if I knock it all the way back...

Question 1 (part b)

How do I know, once I've gently knocked it back into position, that it is sitting at 90º to the shaft? I know it's all thick metal, and the collar area is sufficiently deep that it ought to be true, but I'm looking at it going on and there's still a degree of angle-play as I gently tap it back that makes me nervous it will be at a barely perceptible angle to the shaft...

Mr Bridger

Post by Mr Bridger » Wed May 17, 2017 11:31 am

I don't know the answer to your questions as I didn't do the crank gear on mine, but if you can get the gear on using the bolt to pull it on (the bolt that was such a pain to remove) rather than knocking it on that'd be better.
Definitely don't knock/hammer the camshaft gear on.

1975 SE5a - Daily Driver
1970 Triumph Vitesse
1972 VW Camper Van
1965 Sunbeam Tiger

AnotherTim

Post by AnotherTim » Wed May 17, 2017 11:33 am

There is no bolt on the crankshaft. That was something that was bothering me as well.

:)

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

Post by Roger Pennington » Wed May 17, 2017 11:38 am

Well done, onwards and upwards! First, double-check that you've got the gear the right way round - you should be able to see the gear alignment mark on the front face.

Then you want it to go on as far as it will go. You could tap it on, or, better, you could temporarily replace the crank pulley and tighten the bolt, forcing the gear wheel on.

Once it's properly pushed on, it'll be straight. Then remove the crank pulley & bolt again.

(Don't tap the cam gear on, if you do that you may push the cam out from the back of the block, use the "wind it on" method for that :wink: )

On the subject of the front cover, I think the kit includes a front crank seal, which will need changing before it goes back together?

(Still planning to pop over a little later)

....Roger

RSSOC member (since 1982)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Condition can be bought at any time; Originality, once lost, is gone forever" - Doug Nye

AnotherTim

Post by AnotherTim » Wed May 17, 2017 11:49 am

Here's where I'm at...

I'd write more of an update but ITS SO HARD TO TYPE WITH ALL THIS RIDICULOUS, HYSTERICAL SCREAMING GOING ON. I'LL HAVE A SORE THROAT IF I DON'T CUT IT OUT SOON.

AnotherTim

Post by AnotherTim » Wed May 17, 2017 11:50 am

PS; I know that's not the correct fixing bolt for the cam wheel... I just used it to wind the wheel on. I am UTTERLY mystified how a wheel held true by a Fothergill Key can also wind into the angle of the crankshaft wheel teeth. It's like mystical magic that is.

Return to “Project Progress”