Se5a Rolling rejuvenation project

If you have a long-term project and would like to share/document progress, this is for you.

Moderators: scimjim, philhoward, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington, Lukeyboy46

AnotherTim
RSSOC Member

Post by AnotherTim » Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:59 am

Personal records update.
New tyres fitted this morning.

The good news:
Car feels so much smoother. It's made a huge difference getting those cheapo van tires off.

Front tires no longer clip the wings on sharp turns.

Rear Hercules tyres look absolutely brilliant. Haters gonna hate, but this car is more of a beater than a classic, so fat RWLs are a perfect look for what I want for the car.

The Bad news:

White rings on the front tyres look hilariously bad. I was 50/50 on whether to fit them with white rings out and at the last minute I decided to go for it. Big mistake. They look like Driving Miss Daisy. I will be having them switched at some point so the rings are inside (save yourself from asking the wiser-than-thou question of "Why did you buy white ringed tires then? ).

The fronts, being 195/70 on 7" rims actually look a tad stretched compared to the tires I just took off, which I didn't expect. It's only mild, but they do have a degree of that look about them.
Last edited by AnotherTim on Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Old and Slow
RSSOC Member

Post by Old and Slow » Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:23 am

Any chance of a side photo before you swap round the whitewalls?
Just out of interest, ya know. 8)
Philip

Philip Needham
Ashley-bodied TR3; '54 Ford Consul; '55 AC 2-Litre Saloon;'65 850 Mini; '70 Ford Zodiac MkIV; XR3i
'81 911SC Targa, '64 Sabre Six

AnotherTim
RSSOC Member

Post by AnotherTim » Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:14 pm

Yeah sure Phillip. I'll PM you some quick snapshots. Not great pics and the tires are very grubby from fitting, but it might give you a vague idea. They (the white rings) are from North Hants Tyres and are 195/70r14 Galaxy 24mm whitewall one side, plain the other side. Most importantly though they are 14" tires that are car tires not van tires, and they cost around £60 which was my budget sweetspot for the fronts. I couldn't find any other tires locally in that size/budget for cars, so it made sense to just go ahead and get the Northhants ones purchased on the same Black Friday discount and delivered at the same time. Afterwards though I was told I could get Uniroyal Rainsports and in hindsight I probably would have looked for those... but it was too late.

Frankly, if I hadn't fallen into the cognitive trap of thinking, at the very last minute "These tires have white walls, so you should fit the whitewalls out even though you never actually wanted whitewalls in the first place" I'd be very happy right now.

*Sigh*

I did the old salesman's trick on myself... throwing in an entirely unwanted added value extra at the very last second to discombobulate my brain and make me feel I'm getting even more out of the tires than I ever wanted. Even the bloke fitting the tires said "do you want these white rings on the outside then?".Even he could see it was a terrible mistake hahah.

jond

Post by jond » Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:20 pm

Just check as some tyres are directional
Possible there is an arrow telling you which direction they go. Maybe they should only be fitted with white ring on outside

AnotherTim
RSSOC Member

Post by AnotherTim » Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:29 pm

It doesn't matter that they're directional if you re-fit the (current) right on the left and the (current) left on the right. As long as the sipes point the right way and they have a symmetrical tread pattern, you're good to go - they'll be facing in the right direction. You just can't reverse the tires by flipping them 180º. So you can't swap the wheels over with directional tired, the tyres have to be removed and refitted onto the opposite rim.

(As a general rule of thumb, tyres that are, for any number of reasons sided as well as directional generally don't have graphics on the inside wall)
Last edited by AnotherTim on Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Scimher

Post by Scimher » Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:43 pm

You'll just have to put 'white-bands' on the back to even things up, Tim - I like them & think that your car would look fantastic with 4 on.... :w

AnotherTim
RSSOC Member

Post by AnotherTim » Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:38 pm

No, absolutely definitely not doing that. :D

Old and Slow
RSSOC Member

Post by Old and Slow » Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:36 pm

No, Tim, I agree.
IMO you ought not to paint white rings on the rear tyres; your plan to reverse the tyres on the rims makes sense to me, and if they have directional arrows on them, switching them across will put everything right, although I expect you already knew that.
Best wishes for the season,
Philip

Philip Needham
Ashley-bodied TR3; '54 Ford Consul; '55 AC 2-Litre Saloon;'65 850 Mini; '70 Ford Zodiac MkIV; XR3i
'81 911SC Targa, '64 Sabre Six

AnotherTim
RSSOC Member

Post by AnotherTim » Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:54 pm

I don't know who suggested painting white rings on the rear tires but it sure wasn't me... It's a horrible idea anyway, but it also overlooks the fact that I like the rear tyres, its the white rings on the front that I don't like. But you are absolutely right about directional tires, It doesn't matter that they're directional if you re-fit the (current) right on the left and the (current) left on the right. As long as the sipes point the right way and they have a symmetrical tread pattern, you're good to go - they'll be facing in the right direction. You just can't reverse the tires by flipping them 180º.

efi_sprintgte
RSSOC Member

Post by efi_sprintgte » Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:36 pm

Black tyre wall paint just to temporarily numb the pain?

JC

AnotherTim
RSSOC Member

Post by AnotherTim » Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:58 pm

Haha, yeah, it's an option. I already used a grey Posca pen to temporarily tone them down from *Donny Osmond's Teeth* to *Dear old Granny's ashes*, but it's actually the entire aesthetic that's wrong, so blacking them until I can flip them is not a bad shout at all.

The rear tires are meant to be a quietly menacing declaration of understated, alpha-male, automotive aggression. A low, whispering growl of "don't mess with me"... but they are completely upstaged and drowned out by the front tires waving excitedly and shouting "HELLO EVERYONE, I'M ELTON JOHN!"

Return to “Project Progress”