Se5a Rolling rejuvenation project

If you have a long-term project and would like to share/document progress, this is for you.

Moderators: scimjim, erikscimitardemon, philhoward, Lukeyboy46, Roger Pennington

Re: Se5a Rolling rejuvenation project

Postby AnotherTim » Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:50 am

Has anyone seen the news/pics of the McLaren 570sthat crashed between Wiltshire and Dorset yesterday, or today, or possible Saturday?

I'm interested to know the name of the driver, which doesn't seem to have been released. This is because I know a McLaren driver from Dorset. An old boss of mind from 20 years back, and a friend now who I have occasional and sporadic contact with. It could well be him, but I don't really want to send him an email asking if it was him as he's probably not going to receive that question very well no matter how compassionately worded my email might be.

On the one hand it's a long shot that it turned out to be him. On the other hand... how many orange McLaren 570's could there feasibly be driving towards Dorset?

So if anyone happened to be reading about this crash on any car forums anywhere and a name was mentioned, I'd appreciate it if you could let me know the name!

I'm looking out for a name with the initials D and H.
===
Proud owner of Scimitarweb's least popular topic thread.
===
AnotherTim
RSSOC Member

Postby scimjim » Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:19 am

Holy cr@p - they walked away from that!

IMG_5235.JPG
IMG_5235.JPG (314.16 KiB) Viewed 459 times
Jim King

Current: SE5 (8Ball), 1600 SS1 (G97), 2.5TD SE5a (diesel 5a), 6 x random other SS1s.
Previous: SE5, 3 x SE5a, 2 x SE6a, 3 x SE6b, GTC, 2.9i GTC, 3 x 1600 SS1, 1300 SS1, Mk1 Ti Sabre, Mk1.5 CVH Sabre
Chief mechanic for: SE6a (Katrina), 1400EFi SS1 (Grawpy), Sabre/MX5 auto (The Flying Broomstick), 1400 K series SS1 (Megan3), TI SS1 (snotty), 1300 SS1 (Number One) & Sarah's coupe.
CURE THE FAULT - NOT THE SYMPTOMS
scimjim
RSSOC Member

Postby AnotherTim » Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:53 am

Apparently so, but with minor injuries. The little bit of info getting bounced around every news site is that they had to be helped out of the wreck as walking wounded, and then the car turned to a pile of ash soon after.

I really don't have a great deal of sympathy for the driver, even if it turns out to be my friend, unless there is a genuine reason for the crash that doesn't involve irresponsible driving. More likely to be a sad case of "performance privilege" though... just another deluded person in a car with more power than anyone could ever need on British roads, feeling like they know how to handle it and that a 'super' car can defy the laws of physics and randomness.

If it's my friend then he had a crash on a race track fairy recently too, and I don't think he walked away from that one with his reputation as a driver untarnished.
===
===
AnotherTim
RSSOC Member

Postby scimjim » Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:02 pm

Local news just said "the driver, a local plumber..."
Jim King

Current: SE5 (8Ball), 1600 SS1 (G97), 2.5TD SE5a (diesel 5a), 6 x random other SS1s.
Previous: SE5, 3 x SE5a, 2 x SE6a, 3 x SE6b, GTC, 2.9i GTC, 3 x 1600 SS1, 1300 SS1, Mk1 Ti Sabre, Mk1.5 CVH Sabre
Chief mechanic for: SE6a (Katrina), 1400EFi SS1 (Grawpy), Sabre/MX5 auto (The Flying Broomstick), 1400 K series SS1 (Megan3), TI SS1 (snotty), 1300 SS1 (Number One) & Sarah's coupe.
scimjim
RSSOC Member

Postby AnotherTim » Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:50 pm

Ah right, not the same person then.

Cheers Jim!
===
===
AnotherTim
RSSOC Member

Postby AnotherTim » Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:20 pm

The driver of that crashed McLaren sounds hilarious.

He wasn't going fast, see, its all because of how lively the steering is set up on those cars. And he was swerving at 60mph in order to avoid hitting an animal, which was a deer, or a badger, or something.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/07 ... ing-house/

If I ever get a McLaren I'm going to ask them to lower the liveliness of the steering so it doesn't do all that dangerous lively steering and badgers and stuff. Or deers.

I want hedgehog steering on mine. Or geese maybe. McLaren are idiots at steering.
===
===
AnotherTim
RSSOC Member

Postby AnotherTim » Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:24 pm

Lights reference...

Ref: Gavin Linfield
===
===
AnotherTim
RSSOC Member

Postby scimjim » Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:30 pm

Haven't seen that car in a long time! It had a personal plate on, 38GTA or similar?

Edit 38JLA
Jim King

scimjim
RSSOC Member

Postby scimjim » Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:33 pm

Which answers Rogers question in this thread :-)
Jim King

scimjim
RSSOC Member

Postby Roger Pennington » Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:39 pm

Ah, so it does! in fact 38JLA is now a black Porsche 911 :)
....Roger

RSSOC member (since 1982)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Condition can be bought at any time; Originality, once lost, is gone forever" - Doug Nye
Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

Postby AnotherTim » Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:45 am

My car is filthy. I parked it up the road last night, evidently outside a house undergoing renovation and it's now covered in masonry dust and sawdust, which has stuck to the sap falling from the tree overhead. Great stuff. Thanks Obama.

Anyway, I had half an hour free so I decided to repaint my badge. I thought i'd easily left it long enough to dry hard, but it seems not. The fixing circles worked a treat (Thanks KevO) but for some reason that I couldn't easily fathom by working blind through a tiny hole in the 'badge box' underneath, the badge sat with a very slight gap away from the body... just enough for the local car thief to get a penknife blade under and damage my bodywork in an attempt to prize it off. So I decided to squirt some superglue in and then press it down with a cloth.

So the upshot of that is that I have a badge that is very firmly fixed in place, but with a unique texture.

Clearly the paint was not hard yet... but I quite like the effect. It looks like hell in a close-up shot but actually looks pretty good on the car. Considering it was a rough, bubbled, rusted badge with lots of chunks missing from it, it looks relatively decent with all the filing back and hole filling I did. There's a couple of bits that I somehow missed but they're so tiny in real life and the car is ratty in the extreme anyway, so I don't mind.

I really need to motivate myself to tackle something big on the car now though. I feel I've lost motivation and possibly a little bit of interest over the last few weeks. I just eyed up the possibility of cutting my grill panel out and making a deeper box to fit instead, but it's such a baking hot day and the car is a quarter mile from my home, and I just thought.... nah... cannae be bothered.

= )
===
===
AnotherTim
RSSOC Member

Postby Scimher » Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:56 am

scimjim wrote:Local news just said "the driver, a local plumber..."

No wonder I can't get one to extract a duff immersion tank element. One plumber was going to ring me back & never did.....Three or four others were 'busy' or not interested... :evil: ...(I had a go at doing it myself with a bar over a box spanner but I got psyched out when the tank 'twizzled' slightly - even when full of water. The pipework looks pretty ropey & I was frightened to death of rupturing a seal & having the contents of the loft tank dump themselves all over the back of the house!)
Scimher

Postby Dennis Nicholas » Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:24 am

Scimher wrote:(I had a go at doing it myself with a bar over a box spanner but I got psyched out when the tank 'twizzled' slightly - even when full of water. The pipework looks pretty ropey & I was frightened to death of rupturing a seal & having the contents of the loft tank dump themselves all over the back of the house!)

Possibly a couple of tips. Our water from the well is rather acidy round here so used to get through tanks and copper/brass bits all too frequently and difficult getting dead heaters out.
1. I put a large plastic high sided tray under new hot water tank and plum a pipe from it to outside as an overflow in case of leaks.
2. sadly removing immersion heater from tank usually results in ruining the modern, paper thin, cheap copper tanks. Possibly might be of help to ruin out the heater/electric bits and judicial use of hacksaw/Dremmel cut disc to weaken heater ring to get it to unscrew/ break up?
I changed to all plastic pipes so cutting out electrolytic action which was escalated by the acidy water and now all ok after many years :D .
Good thing about the water - we dont half come up nice and clean and shinny after a dip in the bath/shower :lol:

Dennis
Dennis Nicholas(RSSOC)
1980 GTC Trafalgar Blue, 2010 basic Skoda Yeti (petrol), Austin 7s, Rileys.
Dennis Nicholas
RSSOC Member

Postby AnotherTim » Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:35 pm

Just came across some super cheap, but decent enough, copies of Lucas round rear lamps for Minis and Landies at my local autoparts place. Good enough to begin mocking up my rear light replacements. So off I go. New project.

I'll post the results here once I've got them looking decent enough. I'll also try to take measurements in case it's a huge success and others want to follow suit.
===
===
AnotherTim
RSSOC Member

Postby Scimher » Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:34 pm

Thanks for the plumbing tips, Dennis....
Scimher

PreviousNext

Return to Project Progress